main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Insider Magazine subscription: Paper or digital

Discussion in 'Literature' started by lokus, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lokus

lokus Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2004
    Does anyone subscribe to the digital version of Star Wars Insider magazine? I'm considering getting a subscription and am trying to decide if I should go with the paper or digital subscription. I have an iPad and an Android phone but have fofound it hard to pull the trigger on digital magazines. What do you think?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The last time I was subscribed to Insider, TPM hadn't come out yet.

CooperTFN, Zorrixor and Gorefiend like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've got paper. I'm not too keen on reading stuff like books or magazines on a screen since I'm online a lot. I'd rather kick back and relax with paper.

4. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    So are there any ways to get a discount for Insider? I don't mind the $45 a year, but would like to save a few bucks if possible. As far as I know I can't find any coupon or discount offers online.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I buy it when it comes out. Otherwise, I'd get a subscription, though it would be paper. I just prefer the smell of a magazine to looking at a screen. I like to be able to feel the pages. I'm nostalgic, practically grew up in a print shop, and will be dragged into the digital age kicking and screaming.

6. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I prefer paper because I can read it anywhere anytime.

I subscribe now because it's easier than walking into my local comic shop and walking right out when they don't have it.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My local bookstore gets it but I like the cleaner cover that subscribers get.

8. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Sometimes I prefer the comic book store exclusive cover, but oh well. I get it earlier than they do.

9. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Don't want the short stories?

10. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Are the short stories even good? They are exclusive to Insider and are never collected in other forms? Can you buy old issues?

I only ask the last part because I missed the tenebrous way story. The only Insider story I ever paid slight attention to.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If you go to the Titan Magazine website I think they have some back issues. You'll have to Google it as there are both US and UK sites. Once there look for Star Wars as they do other magazines.

12. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I buy them from the store, that we I don't get stuck with issue I don't want, as I mainly buy them for the short stories. I skipped the couple so far that had novel extractions, rather than an exclusive short stories.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I've been subscribing, and I've just renewed. There's usually at least a couple of things in each issue that interest me. I've liked the short stories so far. (The ones I've seen, anyway. The UK issues didn't carry them when the US issues started doing them.)

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm starting to see the advantages of digital, but thus far I've always bought hard copies when they come out and read them in the bathroom. :p

15. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Although I'm generally opposed to ebooks, in this case, I'd recommend going digital. Back when I subscribed, I had issues show up many months late, or not at all. Maybe it was an isolated incident for me, or a problem that has since been fixed, but that's my two cents.

16. bprewitt

bprewitt Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2006
    I asked this over in the general category and was pointed to this thread. Here's my original posting. Could anyone advise?
    __
    I have thought about trying another subscription to the Insider after some years away. I'm trying to compare subscription prices between print and digital, and find the digital subscription pricing to be pretty confusing. Does anyone subscribe to the digital version? Do you know how much the subscription runs? Does the digital subscription include the special editions that are published?

More generally, the pricing is A LOT higher than I remember, and quite a bit more than I'm paying for my EW and SI subscriptions. Can anyone give an opinion about the current quality of the magazine? The short stories intrigue me, but probably don't sell me the magazine by themselves.

Thanks for any insights.​

17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Well the only one I have read Heist was really good and got me excited for Scoundrels.

18. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Heist wasn't bad.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I likend the Plagueis tie-in story too..

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Just to further muddy the issue, the one year I had a print subscription I actually got a couple issues a week or two early--which meant I was the first one here to read Unknown Soldier. :D

21. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea sometimes I get them early or not at all :p

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't like to read on a backlit screen and I haven't bothered to check to see if the Insider has a Kindle version, so I usually just buy them when I see them. I subscribed in the prequel days but stopped around the ROTS time frame.

23. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Does anybody here have any of Insider #1 through #61 or #90 through #123?

24. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Have 'm all (although they weren't called SWInsider from # 1, as they started out as the Lucasfilm Magazine)

25. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Then, can you tell me if any of those issues contain IU material ala SS, CIS Shadowfeed, RHNCE, ect.?

I want to start tracking down Insider issues for that material, but only a handful of the LFFC titled issues are available through Amazon, and I don't use ebay or any other similar shopping sites. Besides, I don't feel the need to own every single Insider issue just for the sake of it. Now, if they all had IU content like the AJ and Gamer did, then it would be a moot point anyway, but as far as I can tell Insider doesn't.

eddie1969 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.