main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [30k] 12 Days of Namedrops

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I am pleased beyond words that this occasion has fallen during the greatest of all periods, the season of Christmas. In this grand and joyous moment, I am pleased to look back over my time here, and find some satisfaction. Taking up the great tradition, I am likewise compelled. Fellow JCers, in honor of the present holiday, and of our new joy, I give you the Twelve Days of Namedrops.

One Secret Help
    Musical: Fate dictates that we can never articulate the things you've done. That doesn't, though, stop me from announcing my gratitude for it all. And perhaps it's better this way, as the depths of the things I owe veers into the inexpressible anyway. Thank you for everything.

Two Advisors
    Even: I'm not even sure what I could say that would properly encapsulate everything. Thrown into grumpiness, take downs, defenses or humor, your intellectual energy is awe-inspiring. Yet, all this pales before your quiet counsel and pleasant society.
    GrandAdmiralJello: You have, on occasion, been styled the last Roman. Though that cannot be true, when measuring your erudition, your valor, and even your command of their language, one can only think that the true Romans would wish it was. Vale.

Three Ghosts Past
    ophelia: They tell me you are actually always here, silently reading and watching, like some sort of fairy godmother. Your few posts certainly bring as much magic, grace, and pining for a prior era in JC history, when you were more common. The assumptions required about your good-nature are incredibly easy to believe as well.
    Obi-Zahn Kenobi: I'm sorry you've had to curtail your posting so much. In debates, we are stylistically and substantively pretty different. But in matters of import, the same things bind us as ever. Since it is now en vogue to tell announce what we "really" think of you, it pleases me to say the following: you move deftly, you invest yourself wholly, and your future is enormously bright.
    Suzuki_Akira: I take this occasion to continue my futile campaign for your return. Rarely have I encountered one so considerate, thorough, and deep-thinking on these boards. Your presence is tremendous, your absence catastrophic. Return.

Four Quiet Voices
    Darth Morella: I value your friendship so much. Your advice, your jokes, your prodding and glimpses of life are a real highlight of having come to this place.
    solojones: I have mostly already said my piece on your career and ever accumulating accolades. I won't try and repeat that here, since lacking your talents, I don't have any confidence that I could surpass the original remarks. Instead, I'll go in another direction, and say I do truly enjoy the rigor, wealth of experience and unique perspective that you bring to every topic.
    Vivec: Yours is the life of the mind. Not just because you are the JCC's true science expert. Also because you're always game for the discussion of a good novel, or puzzling through the meaning of some new development in the news, or even tackling some more personal challenge. It's good to have someone around that knows what it's like to be a janitor.
    Zapdos: Enigma. The Mystery of Lions is resolved, but I cannot escape the impression that a much larger game is afoot. Somehow, in spite of this, you have made yourself a true ally. What can I say of you? R B U' B' R D

Five Golden Rings
    Ender Sigh: You were always a considerable intellect, but for most of the time I only regarded you distantly. I'm pretty pleased to have come into more direct acquaintance with you. When we joust, I get the thrill of a challenging exhibition match, and when we team up, it's a roaring good time. Glad you're around.
    Ess Ell Gee: Your penchant for radical honesty makes you funny and insightful, but it is your generally radical character that is truly worth knowing. The personal risks you take in pursuit of your goals is a worthy thing. Your eclectic tastes in arts and entertainment have turned me on to more than few things I might have otherwise ignored.
    Magister Iacenorum: Steady hand and wry commentator, ready to deflate the puffed-up ridiculousness of anything, be it the JCC, a bad movie, or even one of us, when we lose perspective and become overly-invested in a petty argument.
    Rogue Number Ten: You are like a Harlem Globe Trotter, putting considerable talent into the service of humor and spectacle. For all that, though, your skill is undeniable, nor can one say it's not entertaining. If we ever meet, there's only one possible place we could go.
    Sciuridae: You are a modern griot, always unloading stories of humor, perseverance, wit, and character. And it's no wonder you find yourself at the center of so many, given your geniality, compassion, and outgoing nature. Many congratulations on your recent successes.

Six People I Love to Read
    Kiki Gonn: In your tickled entries to the "First World Problems" thread and your now infamous travails at "work," you provide an important, intentional counterpoint ot the hagiography and genuflecting that accompanies any American discussion of private enterprise. I love it.
    lexu: Hail Lexu. Your prestige blinds.
    Merkurian: You are a lot of what a good moderator and discussion partner could be. Always willing to give the benefit of the doubt, consider unorthodox views, and deal with the evidence as is. We don't always come down on the same side of stuff, but I love watching you work.
    Point Given: I think I first woke up to you in the James Cameron Avatar thread. But if I was late to the game, I've certainly become a latter day fan of your well-read, compassionate, robust opinions.
    Recession Spending: Unparalleled in your ability to trace important, unifying themes, be it in film criticism or political commentary. A good critic and better man.
    tom: Funny and nice is a great combination, as you demonstrate daily. Even if you do have an awful, incorrect opinion about GoT.

Seven Irreplaceable
    BF2K&1: You are Canadian. You are honorable. You are funy. As we've found all our places in your vast institutional memory of the JCC, you too have found a place in all our hearts.
    Espy: You bubble with the joy of an interior life. Your creativity and sense of fun are wholly beyond my capacity. Maybe the most important lessons you taught, though, were the ones about humility, when you taught us all the true meaning of honor in debate when you won by losing. It is appropriate that the one who originated it should be most deserving of the phrase "No, I Agree With You Completely."
    Frieda: Our erstwhile mother hen.
    jp-30: There is so much about your manner I wish I could emulate. There is an easy, reassuring kindness to your interactions. Best exemplified by classics like Zar Echo, you can be gut-bustingly funny without ever being cruel. When you weigh in on an issue, your words are always precise and important. If I can't pick it up, I at least love the privilege of seeing it on a regular basis.
    Juliet: I know everyone gives you crap about news threads and WWF and things. You are invaluable to me, though. True lovers of Christmas music are rare and precious, so I'm glad we have that in common. Early in the Trayvon Martin controversy, your voice was more clear-headed, balanced, and just than most any other. I would count you as a powerful, positive difference in that discussion, well worth enduring every Dr. Who song cover in existence.

Whitey: What foibles we have. Such a blend of silliness and substance, especially given you only burst in on us every few months. I think you are the only one I ever convinced to watch The Uninvited, so thank you for that.
    Mr.Zap: Your idealism has by now made you famous around these parts, as well it should. The world is always better for a few who don't get mired in its details, but keep pushing us all to strive for an ideal.

Eight Maids A Milking
    Adam of Nuchtern: You are the best rebuttal to that stupid "What's in a name" Shakespeare speech I've ever heard. Didn't really notice you until you picked up the current moniker, but you've consistently belted out powerful, attention-grabbing posts since.
    Cadeus: My chief co-conspirator in the BSG points game. The best TLA/LoK reviewer of the whole thread this season. So you punctuate the days with these small moments of sheer brilliance. Do more of it.
    Eden: There is an essential, delightful weirdness to the stuff we seem to get involved with. TIMES THREE SHRIMP.
    I Are The Internets: One of the most promising members of the new class. I'm really glad you are stick around. Also, how could I not include someone who sleeps on the floor?
    JRJ: I was writing you a thank you when all of the sudden ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH.
    KnightWriter: I haven't really seen you post a lot lately, but I enjoyed when you did. The culture of the boards used to be a lot different, and you were an important and early one in changing the pace of our conversation. A sort of Olbermann, without all the inter-personal awfulness.
    Rogue1.5: Like the avante garde art you dedicate long, intricate threads to, I am not entirely sure I understand everything that's happening with you and your posts. But I like that it's there.
    Tunick: You have a lot of heart. There's a reason we all love rallying around you.

Nine From Boards Distant

greyjedi: Wonderful writer, careful personality.
    J-Rod: Obviously we have sharp disagreements, but you are probably the best of our conservative posters on the JCC. Unlike some others, we can usually always count on you to bring an earnest opinion, and you do seem inspired by an authentic concern to make things better.
    Other Jabba: A living contradiction, right at the intersection between Malthusian and man earnestly concerned about social responsibility. I've really enjoyed our joint ventures.
    Ramza: Yes, you've sort of crossed over to the JCC, but that would ruin my rankings so shut up. :p You are a fun fellow, bringing a real sense of verve to your varied talents, and I'm glad I can follow them all.
    Rilwen: Critical to my introduction to RPF
    Vaderize: You don't comment often, but you are a good marker for the rather fiscally conservative, voice that nonetheless wants a quite reasonable, compromised based domestic and foreign policy. That's valuable.
    Violet Violent Violin Virus: You own Iran policy like no one else on these boards, with greater thoughtfulness and better resources in most every post than many muster in their whole career. Even outside that, I like the instinct you use in reacting to a lot of things, be they entertainment or substantive.
    Winged Jedi: A gifted story-teller and manager both.
    Xan: World-class moderator from a golden age. Most fan fiction--even in retrospect, one's own--is just painfully terrible to read. You are one of those writers so gifted I can't really say that general rule applies.

10 Mace/Sidious Debate Veterans
    Where I got my dorky start.
    Commander76
    EwokThatCried
    Emperor-Windu
    farrellg
    Lord Morpheus
    MacetheCouncillor
    Master Shaitan
    r8hitman
    Sidious
    VioletSaber

11 Miscellaneous
    AG Obama
    Amos
    Andalite Bandit
    Coruscant
    dp4m
    EmpireSometimes
    JTS
    Ohioan
    Ostrich
    SkywalkerNumbers
    somethingfamiliar

12 Witnesses
    You are only being name-dropped because you are online right now.
    Kran Starborn
    Lloyd Christmas
    DarrthMorgan
    DarthRelaxus
    V-2
    heels1785
    Chancellor_Ewok
    Gamiel
    Volderon
    Rox
    Juke Skywalker
    harpua

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Congratulations, you weirdo :p I must say that for my part, you are as clever as Will Smith, as funny as Rush Hour, and you have the tenacity of a war rhino.

edit: lol, the last category is incredible

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  3. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Congratulations on posting here way too much. I see now that it has been time well spent.

4. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    You have just namedropped all three of my sources. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Healer_Leona likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Miscellaneous, I'll take it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    You're a good egg j-w.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Thanx wox.

8. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    congrats on making it about christmas
    but that's awesome, wocky, thank you

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012

Wut.

Srsly though, thank you.

10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I am immensely grateful for the kind words. I am honored to be placed in a class with Suzuki_Akira, and I must second what you have said about him.

As for the final group, I guffawed pretty loudly upon reading their description.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks Wocky. May the next 30 thousand posts be as insightful as the last 30 thousand.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, I am honoured to have been mentioned in your thread. I'm also rueing that I missed my 30K mark so I could similarly celebrate. Oh well, I'll do 35K then.

You forgot to mention though the things you've seen that we wouldn't believe. Such as, but not limited to, attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; or C-beams glittering in the darkness of the Tannhauser gates.

It feels like a 30K post is an appropriate vessel in which those thoughts might set sail.

jp-30, MrZAP and Zapdos like this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I can always count on you for measured praise, wocky. :p

Lord Vivec likes this.
  14. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Aww, Wocky, you're sweet. :) I always did want to be a fairy godmother. :p

Here's to the next 30K!

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000

Haha, that's great, dude. Though I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that I'm in the Eight Maids A Milking category . . . [face_worried]

That is genuinely hilarious.

And congrats, good to have you around, man. Your . . . unique ( :p ) perspective is a lot of fun.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Thank you Wocky! I'm still not entirely sure what I said in the Avatar thread, but I'm glad that brought me to your notice.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I strongly considered doing one for 75k, but was hesitant to do so because I thought I'd forget people and I hate leaving people out. Wocky had finally convinced me to make a thread, and I was going to... and then I forgot and sailed right past the 75k post. Whoops! :(

Healer_Leona likes this.
  18. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013

the waters of his homeworld

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Look. You.

I already "ME ME ME"'d Wocky's thread. What makes you think you can bloody well do that to me? Ridiculous man.

I mean, really.

20. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    i think jello just lost his namedrop for when ender's 35k comes up...[face_plain]

21. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Jabba-wocky Thank you kindly for your niiiiiiice compliment/remark. Despite certain things you praise, it's a real pleasure & a plus for you to contribute greatly to our community.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't currently have plants to alter the list, unless I'm hit with some huge wave of complaints.

Is that coming up very soon? It would be delightful to fit two of these into one Christmas.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Came here to control+f myself; was not disappoint.

Congratulations you old so and so.

I'm sure if I hadn't used a sock all those times I'd have over 30k. Oh well, might as well save it for the looking ten year thread.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

This is correct. The list will read Iello, complete with strikethrough. There's no apology that can make what he did right.

I will probably just borrow from the Monty Python Bok and "Coming soon! Page 71!" thing and do a random number.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    But all my posts are ME ME ME, how'd you even notice the difference?