main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    No, I Agree With You Completely.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    God, the Red Skull was awful. I mean, they got Hugo Weaving to play him, so the character kind of coasted on the fact that Weaving was actually genuinely trying to give a performance. That moment on the bridge when he snarls, "Oh, don't I?" and adjusts his "face" is really brilliant. And prior to that, like the painting scene, that actually felt genuinely mythic that they were just kind of teasing the Red Skull's look, but holding back on it.

But then the Red Skull tosses the only thing it has going for it, Hugo Weaving's face, into a fiery maelstrom and prances around with one of the worst villain heads of all time for the rest of the movie. And so incompetent. He accomplishes nothing. A friend of mine once said, and it really hit home with me, that the biggest thing the Red Skull accomplishes in the movie is blowing up his own base. Yeah, he was terrible; one of many reasons that the last half of Captain America was godawful. I really loved the first hour, but that second hour was just terrible.

3. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Gotta agree with the villains not having any real motivation. Stane did in IM though but that was head and shoulders above all of the other movies IMO.

And also. I like Loki, don't get me wrong. But I feel over saturated by him. Thor, the Avengers, now Thor 2. Its time to give him a break. I can only see him smirking and "you must be truly (insert lines here)" so many times.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's why I thought they might actually kill him in The Dark World. Because I was like, they can't just keep putting him in every movie. But he worked in this one because it was Thor 2. Word is he's not going to be in The Avengers 2, so I kinda doubt we'll see him again during this MCU phase. After Avengers 2 we'll probably get Thor 3 and he'll be back in that one obviously, but we're probably going to get a break for a while now.

Adam of Nuchtern and Volderon like this.
  5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Thats what I thought too, I'm like, this is Alan Taylor Game of Thrones...but then they didn't have the balls to keep him dead. AND I thought Thor would have his hand cut off just like the comics when hes King in the future.

I was seriously banking on this to be darker. And word was Taylor wanted it darker but Marvel said uh uh no way, needs to be more kid friendly. I guess I should have known better after Iron Man 3. That trailer was REALLY misleading. It had a TDKR vibe but the movie itself was a damn comedy.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Loki will die. It's just not going to be out of the blue in Thor 2.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He'll die at Thor's wedding along with every other major character.

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I never knew Thor picking Jane over Sif would lead to such dire consequences.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If he hires Roose Bolton to be in charge of it...

10. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Honestly I like to headcanon that when Tony Stark said good bye to Thor in Avengers he pranked him and sent his 'family history' volumes A Song of Ice and Fire with him too read.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005

But... yeah, it kinda is. Being stuffed in a refrigerator involves three things: you're killed off in a particularly nasty manner (check) in order to motivate another character (check) and you are quickly forgotten after all of the motivating is done (check). I must agree with Havac: this is one of the more blatant examples of stuffing someone into a fridge in recent memory.

Penguinator likes this.
  12. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I think the fact that you guys are focusing on the fact that she's a woman so much is becoming even more sexist than the woman in a fridge thing itself. If all the females in this thread are finding her to be a strong female character and have no issue with the role she played as it had a logical purpose and could have been completed even as a male, and she isn't even a sexy/beautiful character....I mean really. You're kind of just pushing too much for it to be true imo.

13. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    I agree that focusing the trope only on women is sexist (and I try to avoid doing so), but refusing to acknowledge it was used in this case because it happened to a woman is counter-intuitive.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Er. So you're saying a basic plot pushing tool that gets used was used, and...why is that a problem if you're ignoring the female part?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Because it's bad writing that betrays a severe problem with the film's villain, in that the only way the writers could think of to make him a threat was to pick a member of their protagonists' family for him to kill off.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That was not how they made him a threat. If anything the fight with Frig showed Malakit to be rather bad in close combat

17. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    So why Frigga and not Odin?

I mean, if it's just a close family member, then they're both fair game, right?

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Because Frigga is not Thor's mother and they needed Odin's plot points for a) the rest of the film ("Hey, Frigga, I'm going to take the Aether and draw Malekith away from Asgard to save lives!" "Good idea!") and b) for the portion of Thor trying to win his father's approval which is... basically the entire point of the Shakespearean drama they tried to give us in both Thor films...

lbr789 and Gamiel like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Frigg would not have half-made with grief in that way Oden did and gone and give Tor a speech that would have motivated him to take Jane and Loke and leave

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

What if she had a beard? I mean was Gandalf a dude in a refrigerator to Frodo? Obi-Wan to Luke? Dumbledore to Harry Potter? How come we venerate the old mentor men but call the mentor women fridge gals?

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But Frigga is Thor's mother.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

She's not. Step-mother.

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Right, so basically, Frigga is killed brutally to motivate a male character. Refrigerators!

Also, Frigga isn't Loki's mother either. He's a Frost Giant, remember? It's just that Loki cares about her - see the preceding point.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In the comic yes, but this is the MCU here she is his mother

TO me she was more Obi-Wan-ed

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Ah, okay -- fair enough; I thought that part made it across to the MCU.