main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Thor: Love and Thunder

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And so ends the story of Trym
    [​IMG]

2. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Frigga wasn't playing the mentor role. She was playing the cheap revenge motivation role. The mentors continue to be important to the story post-death, sometimes even more so than when they were alive. Frigga, by contrast, gets quietly forgotten shortly after the writers have squeezed all that they think they can out of her death. The two are markedly different.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    How was she forgotten? Loki goes ballistic after he finds out what happened. It's probably the only reason he didn't literally backstab Thor in the end, and it was the major reason why the audience was meant to keep guessing his motive. And if that's not enough, she's mentioned afterward -- Thor makes a snide comment afterward about how Loki learned his tricks from her when he's trying to egg him on, which was sort of a low blow considering you'd think he'd have a better measure of respect for her after she kicked the bucket.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Really how? Thor grieves in his own way, Odin is ready to see all of Asgard burn and it's people climb over mountains of their own dead to fight Malekith afterwards. Loki joins Thor soley for the reason of revenge which he keeps until the end of the movie. Thor and Loki argue over honoring their mothers wishes... I mean Luke stopped mentioning Obi-Wan a lot sooner than that.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I bet Freud would've loved this movie...

Juliet316 and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Sometimes a character death is just a character death...

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Sometimes a hammer is just a hammer, man.

EDIT: AHHH DAMN IT you beat me to the joke :p

dp4m likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Sometimes a friggan hammer is just a friggan hammer.

dp4m likes this.
  9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

I can see that. Frigga promises to look after Jane. Frigga listens to Odin about going to her chambers where he states he will come for her. She then promptly takes a sword and instructs Jane to do exactly what she says. Frigga defeats Malekith in close combat and is only stopped by Kurse. She then swears never to reveal where Jane is, knowing that by doing so, she's likely dead. Similar sacrifice that Obi-Wan made by confronting Vader, and making the decision to stall for time so Luke could escape. Similar to Dumbledore stopping Harry from saving him, similar to Gandalf sacrificing himself to stop the Balrog. And for a more appropriate Marvel example: Similar to Yinsin buying Tony more time to power up the armor and make his escape. Frigga stalled until Odin could arrive as he said he would, or Thor or another Asgardian. And she prevented Malekith from getting the ether. I don't quite see the refrigerator trope applying here. She knew what she was doing. She made a conscious choice to sacrifice herself to save Jane and, more importantly, the Nine Realms. And she received a hero's funeral for it and was avenged by both Loki and Thor.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    She's forgotten completely after the first meeting with Malekith. Loki gives up on revenge to go off and take over Asgard, while Thor never makes anything of her death again -- there's no "This is for Frigga" moment with Malekith in the finale or anything. It's just stop Malekith from destroying reality, nothing personal. The film kills her off to initiate the pairup of Thor and Loki, then ignores her death the instant the writers are done with the pairup.

You can say that Frigga was badass all you want -- and she was -- but that's not really relevant to the point I was originally making, which has gotten buried in all this "The event that fits the definition of women in refrigerators isn't women in refrigerators because I happen to like it this time!" debate. That point being that the film had a weak antagonist, and tried to make up ground with the cheap device of killing the hero's mom, which it handled lazily.

Penguinator and Draconarius like this.
  11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Eh. Agree to disagree completely. The "The event that fits the definition of women in refrigerators isn't women in refrigerators because I happen to like it this time!" thing is a cheap and effective way to distract everyone from thinking about all the reasonable points that they already gave to you which pretty logically go against your point. People interpret things differently, I just generally disagree with you on this entire thing given...every point already made. No reason to keep pushing that there's a right or wrong answer to this, because there isn't.

Anyways I'm going to throw something else out there to consider when it comes to bad writing and continuity - remember in the first Thor, when Loki brings his father in to kill Odin while sleeping and Frigga just stands there watching? Good times.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Didn't Frigga kill one of the Jotuns though?

13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm not sure. I might have missed that part, I watched the other day but must have missed that.

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    This discussion is friggan pointless.

Juliet316 and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    This. And I think the parts I bolded are crucial for it to NOT be a case of woman in refrigerator.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Havac, it's obvious I got your point or you didn't read my last reply to you or the subsequent responses afterward explaining why I completely disagree with the demeaning fridge remark. Friggs could have been an old dude and they'd do the same damn thing. It was her position and age, not her gender, why they chose to kill her off. If you wanna see it as gender, fine. That's certainly not how I saw it after seeing a bazillion movies/books/comics/etc with the same old-person-self-sacrifice-for-the-hero plot.

Juliet316, lbr789 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, you guys are officially over-analyzing this death. And, yes, this is Rogue1-and-a-half saying that someone else is being over-analytical. That's bad, you guys.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    This discussion is making my head thor.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the more pertinent question is what the point of her death even was. As I recall, a bad guy asked her to reveal Jane's location, then stabbed her to death when she refused. How come she just couldn't have hid with Jane? Why did he need to ask in the first place, seeing as he had apparently zeroed in on Jane's location from across the whole universe?

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Because movie.

21. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    I wonder if Frigga pulled an Agent Coulson/Loki. If both her sons could die and return, and her husband awake from deathly sleeps, then why not good ole mom.

laurethiel1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Frigga is actually Agent Coulson?!

23. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003

:eek: Now it all makes sense!

24. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Honestly Agents of SHEILD has taught us that when an Asgardian gets stabbed all you need to do is stick your hand thought their chest and massage their heart until they regenerate. Either the Asgardians don't know that trick or Thor and Odin got quite a bit from Frigga's life insurance.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    CALLIMA!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.