main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What sci-fi technologies DO NOT appear in Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Max Nocerino, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Max Nocerino

Max Nocerino Jedi Knight star 1

May 22, 2013
    Yeah across the entire franchise, expanded universe included, what classic sci-fi tech is absent. Deliberate technological time travel "Time machine" is the only thing I can think of. What else can you guys think of?

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to SWC

3. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Outside of EU there aren't any machines indistinguishable from humans, as in droids are obviously mechanical and there are no replicants (though clones can be treated similarly). But considering how advanced prostethics are in Star Wars, it wouldn't be too out of place if a Data or Roy Batty type showed up.

Really, I think no time-travel/interdimensional shenaginans might be the only thing. Stylistically analog systems coexist with holographic ones, and the same space-ship might act like a naval Battleship in one scene, and a WW2 Bomber the next.

4. Max Nocerino

Max Nocerino Jedi Knight star 1

May 22, 2013
    Actually human-replica droids like Guri are like that.

5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Nothing really "Doctor Who-ish"

6. DLINE

DLINE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2013
    Mmm I don't know time machines?! But that's dr who.

7. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Hmm...is an avatar (the kind from the movie Avatar, not the profile picture kind) considered Sci-Fi technology? If so, then I'll go with that, as I don't think any sort of avatar has ever been included in Star Wars.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Technological teleportation or "beaming" as it's called in Star Trek, doesn't really crop up much- and not at all in the Empire, Old Republic, or New Republic, as far as I can tell.

9. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    I don't think I've seen anything like beaming at all in my EU readings. From real life technologies, we never actually SEE a toilet or a microwave.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    We see a "refresher" in the SW comics:

[​IMG]

and occasionally in the computer games.

11. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    Whoa. I've never seen that before. I somehow imagined it more high tech

Loupgarou likes this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was from a very recent comic: In The Shadow of Yavin.

Time travel in Star Wars generally involves travel into the future, not the past- and is one way. Darth Rivan was transported thousands of years forward in time through a Force Storm, and in Crosscurrent a Sith ship, due to an engine malfunction that caused it to not quite reach hyperspace, ended up having time slowed for it for 5000 years, before finally coming back to normal speed.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't think we have seen -
    Nanobots used to boost abilities
    Non gate based teleportation
    Cloning of limbs to replace lost once

Have we seen? -
    Mind uploading?

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes. Mind uploading into droids is called "Entechment" when used in The Truce at Bakura, and seen later in the Force Heretic trilogy.

Cloning of limbs to replace lost ones is mentioned in the context of Vader, in one of the books- a person's wondering why he has artificial limbs- and notes that a very rare subset of people are allergic even to implants cloned from their own flesh, and have to have inorganic implants instead.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Entechment is not mind uploading! It is the process of draining a being's life-energy from its body to be used as a power source for a machine!

What book:confused: and do we actually see cloning of limbs used to replace lost in any story?

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012

The Ssi-Ruu page implies it isn't just "life energy" - that it turns the being into a disembodied spirit trapped in the item:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ssi-ruu

Even when installed into power cells and machinery, these disembodied beings remained in continuous agony until their life energies expired into oblivion.

Example of entechment being "mind upload into a human replica droid"

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Molierre_Cundertol

Not sure what book it was- possibly Death Star- the medic's deduction on figuring out from Vader's walk that his limbs were artificial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.