main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Get In Line - A Social Countdown to Episode VII... v. 2.0

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthTunick , Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Also, I've gotten my hands (finally!) on the those Making of books by Rinzler. Still reading about ANH but damn, those are some great insights in there.
    Very thorough, very detailed, love how you get to follow the whole creative process.

I must say, it has given me a new sort of respect for Mr. Lucas.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    On VHS I have multiple full screen and widescreen versions of the OOT as well as full screen and widescreen versions of the '97 SEs. On DVD, the 2004 box set as well as the individual releases containing the OOT laserdisc ports. And then of course there's the Blu-rays. All told, discounting novelizations and radio dramas, I have 11 different copies of the OT in all its different forms on various formats. I rarely watch the OOT because it looks terrible on my 60" HDTV, but if they released official HD versions, I'd probably mix it up a lot more often.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My VCR still works but some of my VHSs don't. I think it's my ANH SE VHS that completely died on me one day. I wonder if my old Disney VHSs still work. [face_thinking]

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ditto that.

I gave away my 1997 SE VHS tapes when the DVDs came out.

These days if I want to watch Star Wars, I just throw in the Blu-Rays.

5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I pretty much never ever watch the '97 SEs, and I think they're by far the worst versions of the movies, but I like having them for completion's sake and to be able to trace the evolution if I want.

Oh, and I don't have the first release of the SEs, but the one I have contains a nifty Episode II preview at the beginning, so I do occasionally watch that when I'm feeling nostalgic for the time leading up to that movie or when I want to grab a quote from Lucas.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I kinda regret giving mine away.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm biased because the SEs were my introduction to SW, but I think they're better than whichever DVD release made Vader's lightsaber pink. Might have been 2005, since that's also when ghost!Hayden, Naboo and the Jedi Temple were added to ROTJ. I have yet to see the BD versions and quite frankly I have no strong desire to do so. [face_mischief]

The Hellhammer likes this.
  8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wait...what?

Where did you get the original version on Blu-ray? All I have are the crappy laserdisc transfers that came with the DVDs a couple of years ago. Well, that and my VHS tapes, which are useless right now since I no longer own a VCR that works properly.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well now I'm getting waaaay too excited for Christmas!

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Seven wins in a row! GO PANTHERS! [face_dancing]

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I still have one! I still use from time-to-time to watch old Cheers tapes.

My Star Wars VHS collection:

[​IMG].

[​IMG].

(yeah, I may need to do some cleaning in my room :p ).

As for the DVD side of things, I've the '04 OT release, and I'm quite happy with that. I will not be buying the Blu-ray due to the changes made in ROTJ, specifically having Vader say "NOOOO" as The Emperor is unleashing his fury on Luke... the scene was powerful as is. Vader's silence, knowing the mental quarry he's going through at that moment spoke volumes enough. And, this may sound sacrilege to many of you, but I don't have much of a desire to ever own any copy of the O-OT on DVD/Blu-ray. As I've mentioned before in the previous GIL, my introduction to Star Wars was the '97 Special Editions, so I'm always going to hold to dear to my heart/will defend its merits when it's necessary to do so.

12. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I've got the OOT on VHS and the Complete Saga on Blu-Ray. I have a functioning VCR, but it's hooked up to a smaller TV that we keep on a cart in the closet. It's a lot of trouble to get out and set up, so I usually just watch the Blu-rays.

13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    As much of a saga fan as I am (and most people here know I've traditionally been 100% supportive of anything Mr. Lucas has wanted to do with his film series), I still have moments when I get nostalgic for the time when I was growing up before there were any such things as Special Editions or prequels, and loving Star Wars was a totally uncomplicated matter because as far as I knew there wasn't anybody who didn't simply love every bit of it. It's a good feeling to recall, and it makes me somewhat sympathetic to those who are still resentful for having to let go of that feeling and move out of the past into new territory, but it's a rare indulgence for me and I don't really feel like I've lost anything in the process as long as those VHS tapes are still on my shelf. If they were good enough back then, they should be good enough now. Heck, I never even had widescreen versions back in those days.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Despite the obvious fact that it was that particular version of the OT that made Star Wars what it is today, all the bad effects shots in the O-OT would be too distracting for me to watch again. That, and I just enjoy the ending in ROTJ in the Special Editions a hell of lot more (that particular piece of music from Williams is among my favorites throughout the whole saga). The only upside in the O-OT would concern ANH... Han shot first, damn it. :p

15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Of all the movies, the one I enjoy the original version of most is ROTJ, just because of how different it is. Although there are far more alterations to ANH, most of them are smaller and more in the line of effects touch-ups whereas the alterations to ROTJ are much more in your face. I like all the versions just fine, and I love the new ending music, but there are times when I just want to hear Lapti Nek and Yub Nub and see the Sarlacc as a hole in the ground with tentacles and teeth. In fact, although I grew to love it, I thought the SE totally ruined ROTJ the first few times I saw it. As for ANH, I didn't like the first version of the Jabba scene which has since thankfully been redone, but I never cared one iota for who shot first.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yes, the change in Jabba from the '97 release to how he looks in the '04 (DVD) release was a welcomed one. My least favorite change since '97 was the addition of Hayden at the end of ROTJ in the '04 DVD... should have stuck with Sebastian Shaw.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I never minded Hayden either. It's easy enough to justify with a bit of applied logic, and the emotional resonance of that moment when watching the saga chronologically is greatly increased for me. I love how much ROTJ feels like it picks up where the prequels left off and merges Anakin's story with Luke's anyway, so all the things they've added to tie the saga together just make it work even better for me.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The only change to the films that I can't tolerate is the song and dance number in Jabba's palace. Sure, Han shot first, and CGI Jabba looks not so great, and the Sarlaac was a hole in the ground, and CGI Hayden was unnecessary, but I can live with it all. I just can't stand the Fraggle Rock scene in Jabba's palace. I've tried, and I can't. I just fast forward through it every time, now. [face_sigh]

Immortiss likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Aside from the unnecessary changes, the coloration of the O-OT is much better than in the SE, imo. All the washed out colours give a western vibe, something that is missing in quite a few scenes in the SE (especially when the X-Wings are flying towards the DS).

The whole western feel is also lost when you see Jabba yelling like a fool or funny droids in the background. Original ANH Tatooine is a more serious location than after the changes which made it seem far more goofy.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I can agree to some of that argument, but Mos Eisley still comes off as an iffy place in the SE versions of ANH in my eyes. And in my humble opinion, the improvements made on many of the X-Wing shots in ANH were some of the best SE improvements that were made... better sense of the machines, better grasp of the scene in being able to see a more detailed X-Wing.

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    [​IMG]

Looks like in a video game, imo.

22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah my only problem with the newer versions of the OT stem from the transfers on which all the work has been built upon since the 2004 DVDs, including color problems, black crush and excessive DNR covered up by artificial grain. My greatest hope is that with Disney's money they can not only restore the OOT, but the newest versions as well, which will be much more difficult since there have been so many visual effects piled on top of those subpar transfers now. If they ever do restore the OOT, it will probably end up looking miles better than the current blu-rays.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Darth_Pevra That's very much the product of CGI in the mid-90's. Say Lucas had waited to '07 to do the OT SE's, I'd imagine that those particular X-Wing shots would look better.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That video there, a segment from ABC's Nightline circa 1983, is worth a viewing. No matter the disagreements we have over the SE changes to the OT, or which versions of the OT one prefers, those films still maintain magical/entertaining/fascinating elements that have made the films endlessly enjoyable on repeat viewings... it's why they'll forever live on in our culture.

eht13 likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That clichéd old chestnut "Looks like a video game" has turned out to be high praise, indeed, now that most people see a trailer for a video game and say, "Looks like a movie".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.