main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    As Darth Guy said we have to assume they they 'climbed out'.

Moffat has precedent for not filling in all the gaps directly after a cliff-hanger.
    Notably between A Good Man and Let's Kill Hitler, the End of Closing Time and beginning of Wedding etc.

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not going to write a review for this episode because to me it just hit all the right notes and has made me even more excited than ever for the future of the series. All i'll say is, even while i'm thinking of it, the War-Doctor's reaction to Ten and Eleven when the penny dropped that they weren't companions was one of the funniest moments in the show's history. I'm literally laughing about it now as i'm writing it.I have a theory on where the show is headed in the Christmas Special and the general focus of the Capaldi era:

1. Despite the fact that we know Gallifrey isn't entirely gone, the Doctor is still under the belief that it was incinerated by his own doing since the War Doctor needs to regenerate because he cannot sustain the knowledge of both Timelines.

2. 11 is going to Trenzalore, presumably to ask or answer the question that should never be answered: Doctor WHO?

3. In answering or asking this question, somehow he will die, resulting in the Smith-Capaldi regeneration. However, it is during this moment where 11 will realise Gallifrey could rise again.

4. Bringing Gallifrey back becomes the overall arc/mission of the Capaldi era. Once Gallifrey is restored, Capaldi's Doctor will be rewarded with a renewed regeneration cycle and thus resolving the issue of limited regeneration.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm kind of hoping any Ian appearance was filmed and just sort of cut for time and that will see it on the DVD as part of the deleted scenes.

Re: Eccleston: Yeah, I had no real expectation that he'd appear in any significant way. After The Night of the Doctor, I held onto a minscule hope that maybe he'd appear very briefly to help transition out of the War!Doctor regeneration, but given everything he's said after he left the show, it wasn't a surprise or crushing blow that he didn't appear. Disappointing, but no real shock.

4. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Er, no. The War Doctor and Ten would forget (Ten specifically said that he wouldn't remember the events of TDOTD), but Eleven, being the most recent incarnation, would remember - and so he can start the search for Gallifrey (presumably after he regenerates, since first he has to go to Trenzalore in the Christmas Special). The meeting with the future Doctor Tom Baker hinted strongly at that.

EDIT: This article at Doctor Who TV very neatly explains all the supposed "contradictions" in the anniversary special. :)

Penguinator and 07jonesj like this.
  5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    If Ten doesn't remember the events, how come he remembers marrying Elizabeth :p

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Read the article I posted. I can totally accept that he only remembers bits and pieces - he remembers the stuff with Elizabeth, but not the big plan to destroy/save Gallifrey. Which is why Eleven said "I remember this... sort of remember".

7. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So actress Orla Brady has been announced to be appearing in the Christmas special as
    someone from the Doctor's past, with the plot of the episode revolving around her.

...Susan, Romana, Rani... ???

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  10. mackpol

mackpol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 30, 2002
    Spoilers for the Christmas special rather.

which brings us back to Hurt regenerating into Capaldi and a timeline that has totally changed

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    There's no way Moffat said this. [face_talk_hand] I'm calling bee ess on this whole article.

Penguinator and AaylaSecurOWNED like this.
  12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I meant Christmas lol

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Radio Times are saying the same thing

Edit: sorry, they are just rehashing the mirror article

14. mackpol

Aug 30, 2002

Ha ha ha, and if he did you got to love his sense of humour :p

15. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I don't buy it.

I think back to 'Impossible Astronaut' where he started to regenerate but was killed before he could. Plus, I was under the impression that Baker's cameo was supposed to be a future regeneration too.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    That wasn't the Doctor

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Damn I really need to go rewatch some stuff then. I end up way too confused about some of these plot lines.

18. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    But if you saw Hurt's regeneration in the 50th, you saw Chris Eccleston's face for a brief moment, then it cut out.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    You're right about the Tom Baker cameo being a future incarnation. The Doctor somehow acquired the ability to choose his appearance - hence his mention of choosing "old favourites". And I have a sneaky suspicion that Capaldi's Doctor (Twelve or Thirteen, depending on your point of view) might already be a case of that, or at least a predecessor to that, given that Capaldi already appeared in NuWho and Torchwood.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep:

[​IMG]

Plus, you know, this 'spoiler' comes from the Daily Mirror.

21. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm more and more convinced that The Curator is The Master.
    • Tom Baker had said more than once that he'd like to come back to DW as The Master.
    • Curators are often MA's (Master of Art).
    • "Curator" means manager/overseer. Both are synonyms for Master.
    • IU, The Master is trapped on Gallifrey. It would make sense for him to convince The Doctor to go and look for it.
    • The 4th Doctor never chewed the sets quite as much as The Curator, while the last two actors to play The Master played it campier than Christmas in a tent factory.

22. mackpol

Aug 30, 2002
    Yep, I know, halibut said as much in his post :p

Also, remember this bit.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ****ity bye, Daleks.

24. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Ahh, I guess I was applying the wrong timey-wimey rules, but I assumed that since his earlier incarnations wouldn't remember, he wouldn't either, because they wouldn't have formed the memories for him to retain. I think I'm unclear about why he does and they don't, still.

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Because of the laws of causality. If the War Doctor remembered that he didn't actually destroy Gallifrey and killed all the Time Lords, he wouldn't mope about it for three subsequent incarnations. But because we know that Nine, Ten and Eleven (up to this point) all believed that he did the deed, he must have forgotten about the "hiding Gallifrey and making it look like it was destroyed" trick.