main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    http://screenrant.com/star-wars-episode-7-cast-military-man-rewrites/ Here are some of the rewrite for a military cast. But it says the two charcaters are similar to the solo twins of the Expanded universe, But we don't know if its Thomas and rachel, or jacen and jaina.

So secret star wars episode 7 is.

Either way I am happy as long as it does not suck.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It would be nice if they used the EU names. That way we could have it so some of the early EU works with the ST, even if the late EU definitely won't.

The Vong War (New Jedi Order) is a pretty divisive arc- some like it, some don't. It's easy to imagine there being two timelines that diverge just before the Vong War would have happened.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just don't like the word "Vong". It doesn't sound menacing at all. It sounds a lot like "thong".

lbr789 and Mystery_Roach like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Or bong. They should have been called the Yuuzhan KONG. Now that sounds threatening!

[​IMG]

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Yuuzhan Song!

The space is alive!
    With the sounds of screaming!

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The thing at splitting at the NJO you're stuck with the three Solo kids, a pair of twins, Anakin Solo, who were born 5 years after ROTJ. If, theoretically, Ep. 7 is set 30 years after ROTJ, you'd have 25 year old twins and one 24 year old son. I don't see the Solo offspring being that specifically locked, esp. the whole "Anakin Solo" kid.

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's easy enough to retcon, though - the Thrawn Trilogy, for instance, works just as well if Leia's pregnant with one child as two. And "Anakin" Solo can be easily renamed. It's the Vong War that really messes things up as far as storytelling possibilities go.

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hell, I think the Thrawn Trilogy might be even more awesome with Lucas's clones instead of Zahns. Throw in Lucas's take on the capital, Mara's path to redemption being longer, more Emperor's hands Imperial Inquisitors, and the force cancler creatures being more just jammers that can be overcome (except by the mad dark Jedi) than it might be really improved imho.

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    ctional
    I always read them as Use-a-****, think it was some sort of GFFA....errrrr.... fully functional... 'device' [face_blush]

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It's an obvious mash up of Viet Cong.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Does that mean Forrest Gump will be the hero of the ST?!

13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Shot in the buttocks with a blaster and then get to meet the Supreme Chancellor on Holovid.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Life is like a box of deathsticks.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "It makes you want to go home and rethink your life."

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "Sometimes there aren't enough Force Chokes to give."

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i know it's already going to happen but in the original trilogy you had the Galactic Civil War as the major conflict and The Clone Wars in two of the three prequel movies (one of lucas's failings was he should have had the clone wars begin in episode 1 and end like it did in episode 3), so it would make sense to have the sequel trilogy have a major conflict as well. granted how long a conflict lasts (in the star wars universe) varies, so it could be any amount of time.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, the title of the franchise really gave it away, with the whole Star Wars thing and there always being this sort of armed conflict between interstellar bodies... it's been done to death, really. Abrams, you unoriginal hack!

20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    We did have a half clone wars because we did have battle droids in the movie.,Invasion of naboo and Palpatine playing both sides,but what should of happended was more of jedi master syfo dias and how we created the clone army leading up to attack of the clones.

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I personally hope this trilogy is about aggressive staring contests.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I realize that on-topicness is a lost cause at this point, but what the heck does this have to do with the EU?

23. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    This is the argument that I see brought up most often. And actually, no it doesn't.

They could easily write the Sequel Trilogy around the the EU with the Sequel Trilogy with minimal effect.

ANH was released in 1977. Ep VII is being released in 2015 - 38 years later. In the EU, The New Jedi Order ends in 29 ABY and LOTF doesn't start until 42 years ABY with the only works between the two being the DNT which occurs over a period of maybe a year. That means we have a 13 year gap which centers around 36 ABY with basically no works during that period. Anyone else notice how that's basically two years off from the real life aging of the Big 3 actors? The sequel trilogy could easily be set during that gap with huge space for accompanying media which would have little to no effect on the existing EU and relatively minimal vice versa.

And the last 30 years of EU can be explained away with a couple throwaway lines like Han saying "I'm still sad that Chewie died during the Vong Invasion" to Lumpy in the falcon (remember that he and Lowie took over that life debt at the end of TUF?) similar to how Leia says "You served my father in the Clone Wars". And Luke saying "Well, it only took the Empire 20 years to surrender. How long can this take?" And basically those two lines cover all the EU up to the end of NJO. (Ok, Coruscant will look different so maybe one line about that)

Chewie may be replaced by a different wookiee but that's a fairly minimal change as far as plot point goes. Han and Leia have twins, two kids to work with, and Anakin may or may not even need to be mentioned. Luke has rebuilt the Jedi Order (which is almost garunteed to be the case anyway). And the Galactic Alliance is the new democratic government.

Other than setting up the names of characters and ages of the Big 3s kids, there's actually little to no limitation to the writer's ability to create an entirely new story, other than "X person can't die" and even that is debatable. LOTF/FOTJ are widely unpopular anyway, and even I (someone who kind of likes them) would be OK if we kept 90% of the EU and lost only the last 20ish books.

We don't need a half hour of exposition dump to cover the EU as it exists.

It doesn't even need to be addressed in the opening title crawl. Does Episode II's title crawl explain what Anakin and Obiwan were up to the last 10 years since Ep I? No. Has Ep IV's been rewritten to cover all of what happened in the dark times in the most recent re-releases? No. Why would anyone expect that Ep VII would have to explain the interim either? It just introduces the stories, and the EU fills in the blanks.

All that is needed is a couple off-hand references which would take up less than one minute of actual screen time and might lead casual viewers to think "I really want to know what they're talking about" and then search out the EU.

Can they write the sequel trilogy with minimal to no impact from the EU? Absolutely. I'm not even paid for this and I can see how. Will they? Who knows. But there's actually VERY little limitation on artistic freedom

24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Wasn't Lumpy retconned... along with the entirity of the Chistmas Special?

25. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Christmas special? mostly or entirely yes.

Lumpy as Chewie's son? no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.