main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thoughts on the KOTOR and KOTOR:War Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What did everyone think of the KOTOR comics? Of all of the issues I've read I've liked. Zayne (best Jedi ever), Marn Heirogryph, and Jarael are all awesome characters. The plot was interesting. The Taris Masters were good opponets.
    A favorite image of mine was in Volume 2 when the Mandalorians attack the camp Zayne and crew were at. Seeing all of the Mandos landing was awesome.
    So favorite part of the KOTOR comics? Least favorite?
    Discuss.

2. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I loved how Zayne Carrick was a Jedi who wasn't a particularly gifted force user, but thanks to his dedication to the order and his resourcefulness and managed to be a far greater Jedi than his more powerful peers. He reminds me a lot of Scout from the Dark Rendezvous novel. I also enjoyed seeing more Malak, Saul Karath and Carth Onasi, and thought it was really awesome to get a glimse of who they were before the events of the Games. Tying the events of the Story with Tales of the Jedi through Haazen's involvement with Exar Kun's Sith was also a nice touch.

JackG, Django Fett33, AusStig and 8 others like this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Really fun comics to read with great characters. Gryph is hilarious, one of the funniest SW characters I know. And yeah, Zayne is one of my favorite SW characters ever. Good choice to make a Jedi that's not super powerful like they are usually portraited. Good connections with the original game too. The arcs where Zayne is one the run from the Jedi Covenant are my favorite. Overall, I love KOTOR and I hope JJM will writes some more.

Django Fett33 likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Kotor is perfect at capturing the feel of actually playing a SW P&P group (or Kotor for that matter), with a diverse cast, that just happens to get thrown into an adventure together and are part of a much larger backdrop. It has great humor, complex characters and like any good SW story feels personal for the main characters. That it makes perfect use of the SW setting and the sheer immensity and sometimes outright insanity of it just adds further to it. Definitively worth a read.

5. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Love KOTOR. It is one of my favorite SW stories. I love Zayne along with the rest of the cast. Thought the Covenant was a good antagonist. I want to know what happened to Lucien and his new order on the private moon of his lol.

Django Fett33 and AusStig like this.
  6. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    I assume that after the Dark War's they became a major faction in the Jedi Order due to the losses of Jedi. I assume that the story isn't over for Zayne ect as he has a huge station named after him.

7. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I dont know, that wouldn't make much sense. It seems like they were going to isolate themselves incase the Jedi were ever wiped out. I don't see the Order accepting him back anyways.

The story isn't over for Zayne. I have asked JJ Miller about it and he said its possible we will see more.

8. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Maybe I'll go off topic here a bit, but I'm curious
    there were rumors (actually speculations) that Zayne may become Darth Nihilus. Since I wasn't a member on these forums back then, did we get JJMs opinion on that, or those remained speculations?

9. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Haven't heard that one, thought I am relatively new here.

10. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I agree with Shadow Trooper, Zayne was a noticeable and nice departure from the usual Jedi main characters (Luke, Anakin, Uliq, Revan, etc.) He was very much a bumbling, half trained Padawan, with an awkward connection to the Force, thrust into a situation he didn't understand or ask for. This led to some hilarious and tragic situations, and made the series feel fresh and different than everything that came before. There was also an interesting supporting cast who had story's and histories of their own taking place. The focus really wasn't on just Zayne, but was much bigger than him. I appreciate the writers making it so that Revan didn't steal the show even though he appeared and was expanded on a little. Malak also received some character development and we got to see more of what he was like before he fell. Really i'd love to see them return to this setting and continue telling stories in it.

11. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    DarthJenari

I agree. I had a lot easier time relating to Zayne than most Jedi. He was a Jedi I could envision myself becoming.

12. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I really hope that they don't go down that route. That would make me almost as sad (and angry) as when Denning made Jacen Solo evil.

13. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Yeah, I agree. Zayne's good the way he is.

14. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Overall I enjoyed the first major arc (the covenant one) a lot; there were several things I didn't care for and some rough patches like the Arkanian/space slug arc and "Vector" but I thought it was all wrapped up very satisfyingly by the end. The second half of the series was a mess for me though, and I hated the ending. Haven't got around to reading War yet, and don't know if I ever will-- Zayne had turned into a really irritating character by the end of the run and I've heard he only gets worse.

15. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Irritating how? No, he def. gets better as the series progresses.

spicer likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As the Legacy re-read has stalled and I consider that Charles' project and don't wish to boot it to far forward by reading another trade, it is time for a KOTOR re-read?

AusStig likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  18. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    The Jedi were nearly wiped out in the Dark Wars. The Order is supposed to be forgiving. Most of the Jedi that were aware of his crimes are dead. I assume that the Jedi Order likely became less conservative and swung back to being conservative after the return of the True Sith in SWTOR.

Also, I'm not sure Lucien's crimes are that great compared to other forgiving dark siders.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea the Jedi are supposed to be a lot of things that they aren't. Guess its just one of those things we don't know.

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to see a story where Malak and Zayne meet at the time of the game. Maybe throw Lucien in there somehow.

21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I suppose Malak would try to turn Zayne to the Dark Side first and if he refuses he'll try to kill him. That's how Sith work I guess. As for Lucien it would depend on what happened on that little planet (or moon?) he was last seen.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Most likely. I admit I don't the know the timeline of the games that well but I do think Zayne or Jarael would go after Malak at one point. Maybe have Zayne crash land wherever Lucien is as he tried to escape. Maybe he is on Taris? Who knows?

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its a big galaxy, Zayne just might never have the chance to go after Malak. By the end of the series Zayne was focused on helping other people, the little guy as it were, especially as the Jedi and the Republic just kept getting swept up in big matters. Although War then took him in a different direction, so we'll see where he goes from there. I also fully expect Zayne to survive the Jedi Civil War and Dark Wars- it'll take more than a few Jedi Purges to kill him.

KotOR is probably my favorite Star Wars series ever, with plenty of references to the KotOR game, some very good art in some arcs (and decent art most of the rest of the time), and just excellent characters and pretty deep antagonists too. The Covenant weren't just mwa-ha-ha megalomaniacs, they were extremists, but they were also a symptom of the problem of the times (fracturing Jedi Order and all that).

I remember back during the series there was plenty of speculation that Zayne could end up as one of the major Darths of the KotOR era. Not Revan, probably not Malak, especially after Alek was confirmed, but Nihlus and Sion were still relative unknowns. Although the KotOR Campaign Guide gave Sion a tiny bit more background I think, and really, it would be too depressing to think of Zayne ending up like that. Even Zayne's teacher Lucien probably could have ended up one as one of the Darths, but glad they didn't take that path.

I do wonder sometimes if we ever find out why Carrick Station is named that, or if it was just the game throwing in KotOR comic references.

24. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    You think Lucien is on Taris?

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    No. Zayne. Should have been a bit more clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.