main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    yup

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    ANH? Only honorable mention, but still SW. Does this rule apply to other characters?

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    yup. Luke Skywalker.

4. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, but he was the OT protagonist only. Anakin/Vader seem to be the central character, thus far.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The PT made it appear that way. The ST will change it again as IV-IX will have Luke as the central character.

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  6. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Palpatine is very present in ANH, even if he's never seen. ANH involves his Empire, his apprentice, and a governor he appointed, all serving him.

You can't just throw in a bunch of random Jedi and Sith and call it Star Wars.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Luke is to pass on what he has learned...so he can retire. Not show everyone what he has learned. He already did that. I doubt he will be the central character.

8. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    well........the comics, novels, video games, and cartoons have been doing it for years, just sayin' ;)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes you can. It's call the Prequel Trilogy.

Pfluegermeister, Dra--- and T-R- like this.
  10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    based on what GL has said in the past, he might disagree with you. These are his treatments.

11. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I didn't know that Obi-Wan is a random Jedi and that Palpatine is a random Sith.

12. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    What is left for Luke to accomplish? Unfortunately we're not privy to his adventures in the 30 years prior to the ST. Not yet, anyway. What did GL say, because I thought I was paraphrasing him?

13. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Obi-Wan Kenobi? No. Darth Sidious, was a bit random. Senator Palpatine? No.

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    [​IMG]

Boom!

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There is no such thing as "random" in SW.

16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    A ghost would not be affected by such an energy release. They are energy.

T-R- and Mystery_Roach like this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, you claimed "it doesn't show his body destroyed." Whatever was left after colliding with the reactor was atomized in the following explosion. He's as dead as can be.

18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Whatever was left? Why would a ghost be affected by an explosion? :p

purplerain likes this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I guess by all rights Obi-Wan shouldn't have come back either since the first Death Star blew up after he died on it.

purplerain, T-R- and Dra--- like this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well, yes, but a ghost isn't really alive, now is it? It is more a kind of half-life or unlife.

21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012

The metaphysics of ghosthood is rather confusing and complex. Traditional binary thought posits a strict opposition between the physical and the spiritual (non-physical). On this view, ghosts would be something like disembodied souls, which are "alive" in the sense that they are conscious. Consciousness is typically synonymous with the soul: to be a soul is to be a disembodied conscious entity. That is, the main property of a soul is consciousness.

These days we think of ghosts and the spiritual more in terms of energy, which is to be distinguished from the soul as energy is a kind of physicality, although a different kind of physicality than matter. Derrida considered ghosts to be a kind of in-between state that blurred the distinction between the physical and non-physical.

Whether you view ghosts as non-physical souls or a special kind of energy, I don't see why an explosion would necessarily do anything to them.

In fact, an explosion might do the opposite of what we might expect; it might empower the ghost rather than disperse it.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  22. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    How about the soul of Palpatine inhabit the body of another being?

Someone being 'possessed' by Palpy.

Episode VII: Dark Force Rising

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The only 'possession' stories I've ever liked are Twin Peaks and maybe The Exorcist. I'd personally rather keep that particular trope far away from the Star Wars saga.

Darth_Pevra and Dra--- like this.
  24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It's been done. Badly. And stop stealing titles from the EU.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    according to Lucas:
    • Episode VII would begin roughly 20 (or perhaps 30-40) years after the end of Return of the Jedi (according to Lucas in 1980 and 1982).
    The trilogy would deal with the rebuilding of the Republic (Lucas in 1980).
    • Luke would have a romantic relationship with a female love interest (Lucas in 1988).
    • The main theme of the trilogy would be moral and philosophical problems, such as the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned (Lucas in 1983 and 1989).
    • The key actors, Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Ford as Han Solo, and Fisher as Princess Leia, would appear, in their 60s or 70s (Lucas in 1983).
    • "The other one ā€” what happens to Luke afterward ā€” is much more ethereal. I have a tiny notebook full of notes on that. If Iā€™m really ambitious, I could proceed to figure out what would have happened to Luke" (Lucas in 1980).[16]

There is no way Palpatine fell all the way to the reactor in less than 5 seconds. He exploded way before he would've hit the reactor. The question is why?

Mystery_Roach and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.