main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i wouldn't mind if oh say the last 14 years of EU were erased.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    My opinion on the subject was basically summarized in my reboot essay on my blog.

Short version: "The EU is pretty filled in about the movie characters. We know what they do before the movies, during, and after until they're in their eighties or dead. The stories are done. Yet, the characters are so popular they should have more stories made about them. So why not follow their adventures in a new universe where they can make different choices."

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The only thing that would make me disagree with that is if there were non-movie characters whose lives and adventures I wanted to see continue. There no longer are.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Of course, if JJ Abrams decides to throw in a red-headed background character wife for Luke and kids for Leia--it could also mean the resurrection and restoration of the Solo kids.

5. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    How did you jump from A to B in the above? What are you suggesting? Mara acted as a surrogacy for the Solo children? [face_thinking]

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Just saying it's entirely likely that new authors will use new characters.

HOWEVER, if old authors get involved, it's equally likely they may reintroduce new ones.

Also, JJ Abrams is prone to his fanservice.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    How do we know that any 'neo EU' will not go in the direction of the established EU? We don't!

Also, just what proportion of the population actually buys and reads books these days? Judging by the number of outlets that have gone out of business since I started reading EU (first with SotME, then TTT and beyond) that number is declining - and has been for some time.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's harder to judge how the issue has changed given the shift to electronic reading and Amazon.com.

newdawn12 likes this.
  9. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Electronic readers are a more recent development - as are computers/internet in a good many homes. The closure of many outlets started happening (over here) a good while before either came on the scene.

10. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Is that the main reason that the bricks & mortars shops have been closing, due to sexual deviancy?

THE EVIL CLIFFIE likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, which doesn't necessarily correlate that people are reading less.

12. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm truly hoping to see Mara in some form (that isn't introduction, and a swift death shortly thereafter) in the ST. She, and perhaps the Solo Kids, are the only things I truly want to retain out of the EU going forwards. I accept that they may have to be left AU, however, and for new films I accept that. She is in pre-RotJ books anyway, so I can just rationalize she is off working for K and never got the Last Command. Or that in this reality she and Luke are simply ships that passed in the night, and her life expectancy rose significantly because of it. :p

I'm hoping this book/series does come out. Always wanted a Jaina centric book.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Man, no news for so long. I'm losing hope. [face_plain]

One thing, assuming this trilogy still gets released, that I hope they play up is the tragedy Jaina feels at having to kill Jacen. Simple things. Things that Denning never would've done but maybe Golden can accomplish. Things like a picture of Jacen and Jaina together sitting on a nightstand in Jaina and Jag's apartment, or the revelation that Jaina kept Jacen's lightsaber after Luke took it from him in LOTF. Have her have dreams about when she and Jacen were younger. One thing Denning did very well in Invincible was, right after (or was it right before?) Jacen's death, he inserted a scene from the Vong war where Jacen told Jaina that your loved ones never die as long as they're in your heart. Written a little better, even written by Allston, that scene would've been tear-inducing. Denning just doesn't have what it takes to write a tear-inducing scene (blast it, what am I saying, he used to; he did with Anakin's death). Something like that here, and I'd be very happy. Show that Jaina is sad.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just another point to the list of plot points that weren't continued in the Post NJO.
    We should have gotten a SOTJ trilogy after NJO to answer the question of what the Sword is not after 15+ years later.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    :( This trilogy had so much potential. Honestly, I really liked Golden's two FOTJ books (still have to read her first.) So I think I would've really enjoyed this! And especially since it was going to feature all the newer generation characters.

16. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    So I went straight to the source and asked Christie Golden on her blog if she could give us anything on SOTJ. This is what she said:
    So...

17. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Yep, about what we expected. Whatever she's written is probably in hard lockdown until the Sequel Trilogy starts coming out.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Thanks for taking the initiative to ask! :) It's great she responded -- a lot of authors have been awfully reticent lately. At least when they say "I don't know," we can still hold out some hope for the current EU.

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  19. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Disappointing, but at least she responded and now that this isn't entirely scrapped yet.

Ghost likes this.
  20. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    At least we got something. I'm upset, because as you guys all know I was uber excited for this. But there's still always hope!

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I, on the other hand, am still uber excited for this to be canceled. If we can be spared three more books from an author who gave us three of the worst, terrible, most god-awful SW books of all time, then praise be to Disney.

Seriously, the end of the EU is worth it if it means we don't get these books.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And end on Crucible?
    Yeah, no.

Ghost likes this.
  23. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I know that Denning is the big bad wolf around these forums, but I found Golden's FOTJ books to be far, far worse. There's just no quality control these days.

24. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Exactly.

25. DarthSanctimonious

DarthSanctimonious Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    I can't speak for everyone, but a couple years ago, I remember being glad that the post-RotJ EU wouldn't end with that abortion called Invincible.

Remember how that turned out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.