main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Intro Scene

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Loupgarou, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    In ANH, the first scene is arguably all about Vader and setting up the larger conflict, even though we see Leia and follow the droids. Vader is the first named character seen. the other OT films are different but they're not introducing a world. Now TPM on the other hand begins with a sequence focusing on showing what the heroes are capable of, although the TF are shown to be the bad guys during.

Many modern movies begin with a villain scene, (superhero movies especially, like the Dark Knight Rises or Avengers), but with new heroes, should the opening focus on them?

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Bad guys rule the roost when it comes to starting Star Wars movies. TPM - good guys are in it but it's really about setting up the baddies. AOTC - good guys are leading the scene what drives the tension of the opening is the ka-blew-y and general menacing vibe. ROTS - I think you can say that's a definite good guy scene but they're literally fighting off the bad guys left and right. ANH - bad guys are the overriding tone. ESB - first shot of the movie is the bad guys interjecting themselves into the story (Star Destroyer launches probes) ROTJ - all bad guys talking about bad stuff.

I get the feeling the movie will open like TPM, ROTS or ANH, mid-conflict, introduced to the good guys but bad guys are hanging all around. So, yes, while the main protagonists may be in the scene, I don't see it being like "Jedi" where it's the bad guys discussing their villiany.

JainaSoloYJK, dolphin and Echo-07 like this.
  3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    So this is where we're going now? We are completely out of things to talk about.

Lee_, Echo-07 and Mr. K like this.
  4. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well we're still months away from anything worthwhile to talk about .

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    JJ opened up his mystery box when he took over screenwriting duties so, yeah, gonna be a lot of this for a solid year. They have to announce who has been cast about a week before shooting in March so we got that to look forward to!

6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    At least it's a semi creative change....

T-R- and The Hellhammer like this.
  7. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the opening scene will be the two villains lying out on the beach in a tropical planet laughing and talking about how evil they are for about half an hour.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The first character to appear will be neutral and even after Episode 14 we will still not know their motivation.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

10. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    Hey now, at least it's not arguing about which logos will appear before the movie even starts.
    And I like thinking about why certain story structures are so popular. Why do we so often open with the villains?

kubricklynch and Darth Raiden like this.
  11. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    [​IMG]
    "You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough"

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm with BigAL, that it will probably open mid conflict.
    The scroll gives SW something that most movies don't have, the ability to tell the audience some back story (in this case, what has been going on since we last saw our heros) and I think this gives them a lot of room to jump right into the middle of something where other movies kinda have to show some back story.

BigAl6ft6 and Immortiss like this.
  13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i always remember in the second one Dr. Evil called the moon his "Death Star" and Seth Green's character scotty calls him "Darth".

Sum-Wan likes this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I gotta go with mid-conflict, introducing us to both new heroes and new villains

15. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    It could start with the camera panning down and the wreckage of Star destroyer slowly coming into view , then we see inside and two people are scavenging

16. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Between the two, I'd say the villains are more likely to make the first appearance. I could see a bunch of conspirators getting together to set a plot in motion (along with the actual story plot). I still hold to the theory that some rival group (perhaps Imperial sympathizers) to either Luke's Jedis or the New Republic is going to try to resurrect Plagueis or some other once-thought-dead evil guy to help in their dastardly plans, but in the end they'll realize too late that the the fiend they brought back has plans of its own.

17. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Typically the SW movies begin with an adventure-in-progress, like we've just walked in on major goings-on and are thrust into it. There's very little exposition except for whatever the roll-up tells us- who's who and what the situation is becomes pretty apparent in the first few minutes and explosively so.

BigAl6ft6, Echo-07 and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I agree that we'll probably open "in action" between good guys and bad guys setting up at least part of the major conflict. I halfway expect some kind of civil war but who knows really. After roughly 30 years there's really no telling for sure where everything stands in the galaxy.

Honestly, this is done for one reason, to set them up as the villain because they will get a quarter of the development that the heroes get.

Immortiss and StoneRiver like this.
  19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Because they're usually way cooler than the "good guys" :p

20. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Im going to say; next-gen heros getting wailed on by minor bad guys, getting saved by the the big 3. After the conflict cut to big bad guy twirling his mustach.
    Theres your first ten minutes.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think it will open with a bunch of guys dressed as clowns robbing a bank.

And yeah, for an "out there" thread, this one's not bad at all. ;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hopefully a new gen Star Destroyer flying across the screen, like all OT openers. Then pan to good guys getting beaten, akin to A New Hope intro, followed by bad guys making a bold entrance with some new tech that will blow all our minds.

Maybe this time the star destroyer entrance can be it orbitally bombarding a planet... Always wanted to see that on screen.

23. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    You LOST me there *wink *wink

Loupgarou likes this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or at least once during the ST anyonce

Ryus likes this.
  25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think it will open with the good guys.

What I'd LIKE to see is it open with a star destroyer passing over head being chased by a New Republic cruiser in pursuit as they try to round up the Imperial Remnant. Reverse the chase from ANH.

Revenge of the Dak, markn74 and Ryus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.