main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Grievous a good villain?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Mzukiller, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I am a huge GG fan, but even I have to admit that he was overshadowed by Sidious and Anakin. He was essentially a giant red herring.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  2. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
  3. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I felt he was a bit underdeveloped. Had you not seen the cartoon Clone Wars series before this movie, he would've been this random bad guy that Lucas threw at us suddenly. IIRC, the movie treats Grevious as if you were supposed to have known about him all along. Not everyone had seen the cartoon Clone Wars series so the appearance of this big, lumbering metal creature coughing his lungs out and going, "Kill the Jedi scum!" would have been very confusing for them.

Seriously, one little line would have been all it took to clear up who this guy was. Something like, "Grevious was a monster that just came out of nowhere a few years ago, and since then, we've been working on a way to stop him as well."

4. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    A think that his back story could have been a bit more developed, but as a character he was awesome. I mean, what's not cool about a giant alien cyborg with four lightsaber weilding arms?!

5. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Was he Jango Fett good... nope but he was still awesome... And he had delivered some cool lines too

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    no,

he was a toy commercial

and...with that
    I don't see this thread lasting

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember the discussions in 3SA that boiled down to that: he's a toy commercial, and the result of Lucas trying to figure out how many lightsabers a character can wield at once.

I wasn't impressed with Grievous at all. The best scene with him was when he got all pissy because Anakin called him short.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Did not care for him.

I think a lot of the PT villains, including Dooku were horribly underdeveloped since they were really given one film each.

Maul had a film and then was killed. He had a cool saber fight but otherwise didn't say a whole lot.

We don't even meet Dooku until towards the end of AOTC and he is killed first thing in ROTS.

Grievous is introduced in ROTS and gets killed about halfway through that film.

The concept of a brutal general to the droid army could have been handled much, much better. But Lucas never really allowed ample time to develop any of his villains in the PT aside from Palpatine. I feel like the EU is where these characters are really given life.

9. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I guess, as a concept, he's cool. But if you look at the whole character, he isn't that great. I guess he holds his own against two Jedi, then gets killed by one. I like him.

Alpha-Red and TX-20 like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Micro series version of him and Stover's version of him are the best!
    Grievous served his purpose in the movie but I wish he was fleshed out more. The red-herring type villain just doesn't cut it. Wish we saw him in Episode 2.

mes520 and V-2 like this.
  11. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Grievous is introduced in Ep 3 in which Palpatine is nr. 1 villain, Dooku nr. 2 and later Vader as nr. 3. Grievous is the leader of the separatist army, he's not the Sith. As that, he poses no greater threat to the main heroes nor he has anything with Anakin's turn. His purpose is to represent prelude to Vader's cybernetics and to draw Kenobi from Coruscant. Considering that and his screen time, he was a good villain.

12. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    No, he wasn't a good villain. He was an evil villain. That's why he tried to kill the good guys.:p

I actually liked him. Not every character has to be fully developed. I sort of like it when there are characters like Boba, Jango, Jabba, Tarkin, Watto, and Grievous who have a role, but more of a secondary role. Grievous is really 3rd in command at the beginning of the film after all.

I also thought he was really cool-looking, and I'm sure little kids thought he was neat. I did think his name was kind of silly. The names Sidious, Tyrannus, Maul, and Vader all resemble intimidating words, but the meaning of the name Grievous is way to obvious. It's one step away from Dr. Evil.

13. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    He was disappointing as a villain but served his purpose in the story. He was simply the tool used to separate Anakin from Obi-Wan and set the stage for his fall to the dark side. He would have never turned against the Jedi if Obi-Wan was at his side.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Some good comments here. I love Grievous' design but agree that he needed a bit more explanation/ screen time in ROTS. I was aware of the character but had not seen Clone Wars prior to ROTS, so I wasn't too confused about him.

Remember the rumor that he was going to be Darth Maul's brain and remaining organs in a droid body?

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I would say that introducing many of the villains one film earlier would have gone a long way, IMO.

It can't be helped with Maul. But they could have introduced Count Dooku in TPM as a member of the Jedi Council (replace one of the many non-speaking Council members). They could then establish there that he is Qui-Gon's master, and depict him as being the only Jedi Council member that's really taking Qui-Gon and Anakin's side and who believes that the Sith have returned while Yoda and Mace have their doubts and refuse to allow Qui-Gon to train Anakin. Then he can show up next to Palpatine at the end of TPM during Qui-Gon's funeral.

Grievous could have been introduced during AOTC. Have him be among the CIS leaders with Dooku making him an offer to control the largest army in the galaxy if he pledges his loyalty to the CIS cause. Then when the Jedi arrive in the Geonosis arena, he could be among the droids, leading the army against the Jedi and engaging Jedi in personal combat before the clones arrive.

They don't even have to be huge roles, just small intros preceding their expanded roles in AOTC and ROTS respectively. Seeing Dooku as a Jedi in TPM also would have gone a long way to making him feel like a tragic character IMO, vs. merely hearing him say to Obi-Wan that he was once Qui-Gon's master and hearing Mace say that he was once a Jedi. Also would have given Dooku and Anakin some character history.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This! For Maul have him survive until Episode 3.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've defended Grievous on the Invisible Hand several times before so I'm not going to get into that again, and I'm not big on trying to re-write the PT.

But I will say that I love Grievous' voice and dialogue, just love them. It's all totally quotable. That was one that slightly disappointed me about the PT, it's just not so freakin' cool like the OT, it's not as quotable. As a kid I used to quote the OT all the time, I'd practice my Star Wars voices and have fun with it.

I can have fun quoting Grievous. I can really ham it up and try to sound all fiendish.

So, uh, I like Grievous plenty. Makes him good enough for me.

Snail_L0ver69 and Iron_lord like this.
  18. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    To be honest, no. He came off as very cowardly and not very threatening.

CoolyFett and DARTH FATHEAD like this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Welcome to the boards DARTH FATHEAD!

Hope u like wrestling with hungry grizzly bears Wookiees...
    ;)

:p

DARTH FATHEAD and Samnz like this.
  20. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    It was possible. But Dooku was never in the Jedi High Council. He always disagree with Jedi Council (since he thought that they are narrow-minded and stubborn), and that is one of the reasons he left the order. (Another was death of Qui-Gon)

21. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Hated Grievous. And especially hate that in ROTS, the way the dialog goes he has never met Anakin Skywalker, Or Obi Wan. Yet, clearly he has if you watched the Clone Wars TV series. Of course I realize the series came after the movie.

I can't help but think there were to many lead bad guys that seemed complicated yet only got one film. For me it cheapened the storyline. It all could have been resolved by having a single Sith of Dark Jedi be the Separatist leader or General through all 3 movies (like Darth Vader for instance), who then gets vanquished at the beginning of ROTS, opening up the opportunity for Sidious to finally step out into the open.

22. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    He was okay but that's as far as it goes for me. Personally I found some of his lines a bit cliche, like 'Jedi scum'.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Then they could have given him a minor role as a Jedi not on the Council, just as someone they pass in the halls of the temple or something.

I just felt like there was a lot more potential to Dooku that wasn't touched upon. We hear he was an ex-Jedi, but we never saw him as a Jedi. We hear that he left the Order over ideals, but again never saw him as a Jedi and so didn't see any kind of friction between him and the Council.

Just a three minute scene or something in TPM would have done more for me seeing the character as a tragic precursor to Anakin than all the dialogue we hear about him in AOTC before he finally appears.

24. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    I love GG as well, but I think he was pretty underdeveloped and overshadowed if you only watch the movies. Obviously, his character had been flushed out a bit more prior to ROTS release and much more subsequently - but only to a relatively small audience. So there is a yes and no answer depending on ones engagement with the extra-movie forms of SW media.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

To be honest, he always struck me as under-developed and just another idiotic pawn of Sidious' with no true agenda of his own.

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.