main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spike Lee's Oldboy remake

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jul 11, 2013.

1. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    probably gonna check it

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Dewd, WHY?

The original! So wow. Much goodness.

Remake?

Bad plz/

3. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    i'm interested in seeing how lee might tweak it. also, i am not a rabid fan of this movie, so the fact that it is being remade does not trouble me any more than does the general idea of remaking.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    :( remaking is awful

5. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    yeah i know.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Really? Who was talented in that movie? Mak Wallburg?

Also, I don't know what Oldboy even is.

7. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    oldboy is okay but it has that "bro-intellectual" thing going on that kind of annoys me.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    To quote Wahlburg, "What? No!"

Charlize Theron, Ed Norton, they have talent. So does Donald Sutherland.

9. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    yeah i saw donald sufferland in catching flames the hunger games. yep, he was darned good. yep.

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Ed Norton has no acting range or ability that I can appreciate. Every single movie he plays in, from Memento to Incredible Hulk is a disgruntled middle management white guy that finally rebels against the system, and is generally counter-culture in some way.

11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Ed Norton was in Memento?

12. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    no, he was in "mememento".

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky.

Kingdom of Heaven.

Also how was his skinhead middle management?

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Sorry. Disgruntled "average white guy." More to your liking?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    KINGDOM OF HEAVEN.

Also, you like a terrible actor (Will Smith, who has less than no range) in a terrible film (i, Sellbot). You can't judge.

Penguinator likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    How does Kingdom of Heaven disprove my point? First of all, it wasn't even a very good movie, as Scott's argument for a liberal multicultural Jerusalem seemed pretty shoe-horned into the period. In the second place, the main guy was all about "I am just an average European black smith, not a fancy knight or a priest." I think he literally said that line four different times in the movie. Moving the time period doesn't alter the "average white guy" thing.

Also, how do you say Will Smith has no range? He doesn't always use it, but his work in things like Ali or Seven Pounds is quite convincing. Finally, the fixation on anachronistic products in I, Robot is entirely consistent with the Caves of Steel novels that Isaac Asimov actually wrote.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    STHU, GTHO, WOCK!

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, so I finally saw the original Oldboy. I really don't see how that ending is going to be even remotely palatable to mainstream American audiences. I bet they change it in the remake. But, if you change the ending, then what's the point? Why even call it Oldboy, if its going to have a different ending? That ending is the whole point. I'm still kind of curious about the remake and how it deviates from the original, but I really have no interest in seeing it after having my mind blown about six ways from Thursday by the original.

19. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    A couple of reviews mentioned that it keeps the original's twist.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I haven't seen the original and don't want to Wiki this and be spoiled, so can you guys provide an outline of the plot?

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm curious though.

It could keep the twist about the incestuous relationship with the daughter, but I just can't see Brolin having the breakdown that Choi Min-sik has in the original. Do you think a mainstream, American audience will set there and see Josh Brolin be so degraded? I can't see, in other words, the ending, twist or not, being so incredibly humiliating and devastating and dark. I would anticipate Brolin getting angry instead of breaking down and maybe going all action hero on everybody, but without that absolute meltdown at the end, the twist loses the real impact of all its ugliness. Thoughts?

I'm assuming you mean just the basic set up, since you say you don't want spoilers? A regular dude gets kidnapped and held prisoner for fifteen years (I think, twenty in the remake). He has no idea why. Then suddenly, he's released and sets out to discover who kidnapped him and why.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Honestly, we shouldn't be putting spoiler tags on the original. The remake, yes, but the original? If you haven't seen it now you are a bad person and should feel bad.

Rogue, I agree. I just can't see American audiences accepting how broken Oh Dae Su was at the end, and what he went through to get there.

Also, if they replicate the side scrolling hammer fight, I will personally send an angry tweet at Spike Lee or the first cast member I can find.

23. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Spoiler: they have recreated it...except I don't think it's a long take. So.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

So it's off to Twitter I go?

I promise you this - America will burn in nuclear fire if you even think about remaking any of Wong Kar Wai's films.

25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    The trailer shows him exiting the elevator packed with bodies holding the hammer, an from what I recall(since I haven't watched I again) it shows quick cuts of the scene previous, which are all different angles.