main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Trek film franchise was almost killed off by ST5, the Trek franchise as a whole had TNG at it's peak to fall back on. That, combined with the desire to not let the TOS film franchise end on a bad movie, they made another "final" film to close it out on- which happened to be a strong film that gave the franchise as a whole more gas.

It's very similar to what happened with Insurrection- both films were follow-ups to the most successful installments of their respective series, both were absolute disasters critically that underperformed compared to their predecessors and basically evaporated audience goodwill built by them.

The only key difference is TFF had TNG at it's peak to fall back on and was followed up by an excellent entry, whereas Insurrection only had Voyager & Enterprise to fall back on and was followed-up by a mixed-to-decent entry, which couldn't overcome the preceding handicaps.

2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Of course Gene would have, since he had ALREADY DONE THAT in the Animated Series (and made him a good guy there.). WTF was with THAT?

3. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    It's called "Desperate for new material" and you'll find it is still quite a common occurance in the entertainment biz today.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  7. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    What is the meaning behind the exchange between Azetbur and Kirk near the end of the Undiscovered Country - when she tells him "You have restored my father's faith" and he replies, "You have restored my son's"?

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It means that his son was alive this whole time, and Kirk keeps him locked in the basement of the Enterprise.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Want. Now.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Kirks actions held to the principal her father died for and that she thought Kirk had betrayed. Her willingness to stick to her father's ideals resolved Kirk's lasting anger over the death of his son at the hand of Klingons.

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    It seems like someone in CBS' licensing division has a hard-on for the look and graphics of the Gold Key Star Trek comics of the '60s and '70s when it comes to licensing original series Star Trek in recent years, as can be seen in these Hot Wheels that will be coming out in 2014 here. I've seen them on other recent Trek merchandise, so this is a recent trend.

It's probably an embracing of society's love and fascination with old, retro stuff. I'd love it if there were was more Star Wars merchandise with the covers and graphics of the old Marvel comics series.

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Or the cost to license stuff from Gold Key's work was much less than some of the other options. CBS may hold the franchise license, but whoever has the rights to Gold Key's work also gets money and this was probably cheaper than DC Comics or any other source.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Undiscovered Country is underrated imo.

14. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001

Probably my favorite Star Trek movie. Perfect sendoff for the original crew, it holds true to the spirit of what Star Trek was about and on top of it is just a flat out good movie.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd say my favorite OS movie would be Voyage Home. It looks like the cast is having a tremendous amount of fun.

16. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001

I love Spock in that movie so much.

"They are not the Hell your whales." "One damn minute, Admiral."

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "Double dumbass on you!"

timmoishere likes this.
  18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009

On the night of 10 March 1988 (at least) two fervent Star Trek fans had broken onto the Paramount lot. Wandering through the darkened sets of Star Trek: The Next Generation (circa season one), the fans were able to light select parts of the sets, including most of the ship's display terminals and part of the warp core. Dressed in a makeshift Starfleet uniform (with white socks), one of the fans acted as the host of what was likely intended to be a homemade documentary - at one point climbing onto a sickbay biobed, then accidentally knocking it to the floor. Taking still photographs of the various "working" control panels, the fans can be heard discussing ways of removing set pieces from the stage.

(Video has some NSFW language)

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Paramount increased security on their lot after this little incident, because of these two dinguses...

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not sure if the first one was already linked to back when it came out, but saw the links to these full episodes of a crowd-funded fan film series called Star Trek Continues, which does a remarkable job of recreating the look of TOS episodes. Actually has some interesting faces in it too (Grant from Mythbusters is Sulu, Lou Ferrigno plays a Orion slaver in the second one and the actor that played Apollo in the one episode of TOS reprises his role here).

Haven't watched any of them in their entirety, but the visual look achieved is still very impressive- if not for the different actors (and the occasionally spruced-up FX), these could easily pass for the real deal.

Of course, passing for TOS is probably why it's a bit more difficult for me to work up the interest in watching them in their entirety ;).

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  21. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I've taken the plunge and started watching ENT for the very first time. So far I've done both parts of "Broken Bow." Not bad, though the song during the opening creds isn't really to my taste.

22. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    On my first watch through I didnt like ENT. But it grew on me on a rewatch. I learned to like it, some episodes are fantastic and some are just ok. It really starts hitting its stride in the latter half of season 3 and season 4 and I liked it better than DS9 to tell you the truth.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, the show was starting to turn things around in S4 (much of that going to Manny Cotto), and then Berman got bitter over the cancellation and crapped all over the series finale.

Darth_Omega and Sarge like this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that that's a bit unfair. William Shatner's Dante's Inferno in space concept could have been a great Star Trek film, had it not been undermined compromises in the script-writing phase. Part of ST V's problem is that it's sandwiched between the solid and very funny ST IV and the out right classic ST VI. Even if you take the as written script on its own merits, while its not a great film, its not horrible either. Unlike Insurrection, which gave us boob jokes and Klingon pimples, there were some very good characters moments, particularly for Kirk, Spock and most especially Dr. McCoy. Star Trek V is less a bad film and more missed opportunity. In different hands, it could have been a good balance between the deep, cerebral kind of story telling the Gene Roddenberry had tried to do with TMP and the big, sprawling action/adventure stuff that Nicholas Meyer and Leonard Nimoy did with ST II-IV and ST VI. As it is, TFF is an OK film, but the bones of a great film are clearly there.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    V is the only ST film I haven't seen. I should.