main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I've never actually had green bean casserole. But I don't like the squeakiness of green beans.

But you people have fun with your holiday. I'll just be here, in my corner, freaking out about finals and crying at random intervals.

Also. I swear Murphy's law is at work in my life. I left the WRONG paper till last (but I guess it ISN'T due till Dec 12th). Basically for this stupid historiography paper we have to find 4 historians writing on the same event/topic but they all have to be from different schools of thought and we have to figure out what school of historiographical thought they are from and basically write why they wrote what they did. He would like the historians to reference each other, but it isn't mandatory (and it isn't happening). It really helps if you can spend an evening in the library skimming books on the chosen topic to see if you can identify the school of thought and skimming the footnotes to see if you can find another work they reference. Here's where Murphy's law screwed me over: there was a flood on the first floor of the library that basically ruined the elevator. So the elevator is out of service for an undetermined amount of time, screwing me, and basically only me. So I either have to find my stuff online, or bribe people to go get books for me. I've been doing both.

2. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    We're not. Well, we're not supposed to. Some do anyway. And while a good lot of Utahns are LDS, it's actually about 50/50, I think? I don't remember. It fluctuates.

3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I think you are over thinking the joke Dantana Skywalker. o_O Basically I was using common stereotypes to say escaping the monsters would not be a burden on the Irish but would may cause some conflict to LDS believers who might find themselves in the same situation. [face_sigh]

I hope everybody is having a happy Thanksgiving day. The news is talking about the stress of the holiday. It got me to thinking. People get together for other events with their family and don't get super stressed. I would throw birthday parties for my kids and the family gets together and there is almost no stress. The same goes for other traditional family get together times. I think it has something to do with the food. Somebody is expected to make all that traditional Thanksgiving food and then there is all the clean up. We are expected to sit down at a table and talk to each other. That's the problem. If it was a event where it would be cool to buy pizza and soda/beer…we wouldn't be so stressed. I never dreaded New Years Eve.

One year all these families that stress out at Thanksgiving should all agree to do chinese take out on paper plates and see if that helps. I think Americans have the Norman Rockwell image of Thanksgiving and very few families have a three generation non-defuntional family. I think we put too much stress on ourselves.

Is anybody going shopping? I wouldn't go if you paid me. Everybody online is complaining about Wal-mart or other shops being open. Then everybody points out that cops, military, doctors and nurses work during the holiday. The public then says, "They are essential personnel." Then it is pointed out that theater workers, gas station attendants and restaurant personnel are working. The public responds that "They knew they were getting into when they took the job." lol! I love how we pick and chose who we think should be working during the holidays. I want to drive to the theater and see a movie…so those workers better be there. The bottom line is don't blame the owners of the big box stores for opening during the holiday. If none of the public went, they wouldn't open.

No matter. I hope everybody has a great holiday! [face_peace]

PS: I love that video Goodwood!

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Jedi_Lover: I bet they'd complain if WalMart closed for the day and gave everyone the day off! It'd very quickly that they don't care about the employees at all if they couldn't get their bargains. Maybe I'm just bitter and cynical, but knowing a WalMart employee was trampled to death while shoppers did nothing and even refused to let other employees help doesn't bode well.

Goodwood: great video! It's good to know that my cats are looking after me! :D

I've just applied for a job. It looks like a great job and it's not too far away, but when I clicked 'send' on the email I suddenly felt doomed. Anyone else ever get this?

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    moosemousse: Yeah I've gotten vibes like that before (different situations, of course), but they usually prove to be the product(s) of an overactive imagination. My advice: don't let it get to you. Just carry on your merry existence and if you get the job, then you can panic. ;)

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Now I am irritated with paypal. They won't let me pay using my credit card unless I register my checking account. Then once you do that they say they will take the money out of my checking account and only use my credit card if I don't have enough funds. So I buy something and I am 40 cents short. They are supposed to use my credit card, but no, they overdraft my bank account. They say I can use a credit card directly if I use their credit card. I don't want another credit card. Jerks.

I have overdraft protection, but I am not sure if the bank has a fee for that or not. Now I don't know if they will somehow charge me twice. Paypal will get a note saying to use the credit card, but at the same time the bank overdraft protection kicks in and send them the money. I need to check on this tomorrow.

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    This is one reason why I won't touch PayPal with a sterilized ten-foot barge pole being held by someone else. Sorry to hear about your troubles, JL.

8. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yeah, well, when you're part of the seemingly one remaining religion that it's perfectly fine for people to make fun of, the jokes get old real fast. [face_plain]

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Oh come on, Dana, loads of people still mock all sorts of religions (all of them, actually). And only one of those religions insists on having the privilege of being immune to criticism...

*stares at the elephant in the room*

Iverna likes this.
  10. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm not claiming we're immune. But I'm so freaking tired of it being "okay" to mock Mormons. You mock Catholics or Jews, you get called on it. Sometimes. You mock a Mormon, and no one says anything. If we speak up, we get told to lighten up. And I'm SICK of it. Were YOUR family members brutally massacred simply because of their religion? Do YOU get asked stupid questions because people think it's funny? Do YOU have a "hit Broadway musical" that makes fun of your beliefs? Until you do, shut up.

And I'm out. I'm not putting up with this crap, especially not today.

11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm giving in to the insanity this evening. I want the $98 TV and the $38 Blu-ray player at Walmart. Since they both have 1-hour In-Stock Guarantees, I plan to hang out at the Subway at the front of the store until about 6:15 or 6:30 to let the worst of the idiots disperse.

12. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I think it's pretty fair to say that members of every religions have been, and are, subject to discrimination, jokes, and yes, violence and death. And sometimes people will call each other out on it, and many many other times they won't. You know how many Catholic-priest jokes I've heard? And how many times I hear the teller get called out on it? They don't match up, not even close.

I couldn't list all the anti-Semitic works out there if I tried, because there are a hell of a lot. I couldn't list all the anti-Christian and anti-Muslim comments, jokes, and articles I've come across. And while my family members were killed for their nationality rather than their religion, and the stupid questions and jokes in the media are about my nationality and not my religion, I don't think that's any better, either. I don't think the all-Irish-people-are-drunks or the all-Germans-are-Nazis stereotypes are any funnier or more okay than referencing the fact that Mormons don't drink alcohol, and I rarely see anyone calling anyone else out on those. At the same time, there are occasions where I'll laugh at jokes about that sort of thing, if they're good jokes, and depending on how they go. I realise that that's my choice and my point of view, and you might not share it. But I don't think Mormons, or any other religious or ethnic group, have a monopoly on discrimination, or jokes that no one will do anything about. I think it's mostly a matter of, you are far more likely to see the discrimination you experience, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen to anyone else. And it's not a competition.

I should make it clear that I'm not trying to tell you how to feel, Dana. I think you have a right to get offended if you choose, you have a right to feel how you feel and see things your way. But I did want to point out that other religious groups do experience exactly the same thing; you might not see it, because you're not affected, but it happens.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Whoa! I was making fun of the Irish not the Mormons. Since my husband's family is Irish and I have to suffer through the drunken holidays (like today) I sorta feel entitled. The only reason I used Salt Lake City in my joke is because it was voted most sober city in the http://www.examiner.com/list/chicago-ranked-as-one-of-top-10-most-sober-cities/most-sober-1-salt-lake-city-utah]USA[/url].

I honestly didn't believe saying Mormons aren't a bunch of drunks was bashing them. I have a high respect for Mormons. My friends are Mormons. My late Aunt and Uncle were Mormon. My cousin is Mormon. Hell, I even voted for Romney.

I'm sorry if I offended you Dantana Skywalker.

Iverna likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Double post.

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think we can all agree that religion is complcated issue. ALL religions are the butt of jokes but it is never okay to make jokes like that in this kind of setting, because you never know who will get offended. At the same time, people can be ignorant or at least come off that way in text and sometimes the best thing you is ignore it because it happens to everyone.

I think the best thing to do is to just change the subject.

Please make this starving Canadian student drool with stories of your American thanksgiving.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    We had turkey, ham, salad, veggies, potatoes, stuffing, gravy and five different types of pie. Unfortunately, because of my digestive medical problems I ate almost nothing. :(

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Briannakin: I'll send you some turkey, C.O.D. ;)

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Goodwood what the heck is going on with the Lions? Why aren't they losing? :eek:

19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    So, my brother is staying with his in-laws, but only to sleep. He hangs out here until he leaves, then he comes back in the morning to shower. It's too damn crowded here and I've told him this several times.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Mom should leave by tomorrow and my brother wants to leave.

His inconsiderate and selfish wife wants to spend ALL DAMN WEEKEND with her parents.

Later on, I intend to go out for a walk alone. There are too damn many people in my apartment and i can't stay in here.

22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Hey, don't get on my chest about the Lions! [face_cowboy] They'll do whatever they want to do, even if it involves finding ways to lose against teams they had beaten by the first half. And I'm just as surprised as you are about their performance against the Packers; why couldn't they have done this well when they played in Green Bay in September?! [face_shame_on_you]

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    After this weekend, I don't want to see another person in my apartment ever again.

24. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Because Aaron Rodgers is currently injured, and Matt Flynn is a poor excuse for a backup. Which, incidentally, is hurting my fantasy team as I own a GB receiver and their kicker. I was at least able to bench the receiver, but not the kicker as I have no backup at that position.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Once again, I told my mom and brother that they need to leave. Apparently no one respects my rules in my home. I have no authority in my own home. I told them, yelled at them, and all but grabbed their stuff and threw it out the door and no one gets the hint.

GET OUT OF MY APARTMENT

They've overstayed their welcome and my brother wasn't even welcome this weekend to begin with!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.