main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Onderon method works because ur fighting on your home turf. Like honestly you have no place to go and every time the occupiers kill someone else there is another there to take their place u can basically grind out a win through attrition. Vietnam and Afghanistan (A Dozen or so times) being textbook examples of this. That however is not going to topple a Galactic Empire.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Is Ashoka the new Ahmad Shah Massoud perhaps :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_Shah_Massoud

3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Maybe if the Empire invades Shili.

4. Lord Ctessor

Lord Ctessor Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2013
    There were no Star Destroyers in Vietnam and Afghanistan that could do a Base Delta Zero.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    But we had nukes and actually considered using them on Vietnam. Would have accomplished the same thing, basically.

BDZ'ing an entire planet will only cause more sympathy for the Rebellion, as it did with Alderaan. Mass destruction is just poor strategy, it's really the lowest form of strategic warfare, the least subtle, the least cunning.

"The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Alright peeps, it's been a few months so I'm checking in to see if anyone can summarise what we know (if anything) about Midnight Cowboy's latest Ahsoka spin-off series/pet project.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What Ahsoka spinoff series?

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It features a Scooby Doo gang band of teens who all come from one planet which has been taken over by the Empire. Seems that their parents reluctantly go along with the Empire so the teens tell their parents to go **** themselves take off in the Ghost, which is actually a pretty cool-looking ship.

There will also be Ahsoka a Jedi presence and the show will gloss over the Dark Times be more "upbeat" than TCW.

Here's my point of optimism: I'm hoping the "band of teens" are like the characters in Harry Potter...no pets, at least until Steve Kloves got involved and retconned the hell out of Hermione but let's stick with the books, mmmkay? As in Harry Potter, I hope there are some cool adults hanging out with this "band of teens" and I hope there is comic relief as good as Fred and George Weasley.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  9. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Point in case: I don't think anything in the movies "retconned" Hermione, because in the HP canon order the novels are the higher canon.

10. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    If so, let us hope she sits down for an unfortunate interview of her own.

Okay, okay, I admit that was in rather poor taste (if only because I shouldn't joke about a real person meeting with the kind of fate which befell Massoud), but geesh, what a polarizing figure Tano's become, huh?

A shame, really, because if she had been handled well, she could've been somebody. She could have been a contender. Now, unfortunately, I cannot shake the image of her as nothing more than a personal wish-fulfillment project of little real substance, and that stinks. I'd go as far as to submit that she not be used again in the GFFA until someone other than Filoni is calling the shots for her character. It'll never happen that way (there's no way Tano won't show up in Rebels), but I think if there's any chance at all for her to shake her well-deserved rep as a pet, it's likely that somebody other than the guy most responsible for putting her in that position will be needed to call the shots.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As someone who really liked the character when she was introduced, I have to agree. That's probably my biggest frustration with the show.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  12. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What if she was given to the likes of Zahn or Stackpole?

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Zahn?

lmao.

Ahsoka has nothing on the likes of Thrawn and Mara Jade. I really don't understand all the whining.

14. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    I didn't know Ahsoka was part of the government in the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances?:D Did she defeat the Yuuzhan Vong all by herself?

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just imagined them writing her the way they wrote Mara Jade. And got a massive headache.

Both authors have their strengths. Characterization isn't one of them.

In the "new EU" handled by TCW writing team, it'll happen. She'll keep the moon from crashing into Chewie as well.

Obimus Primobi likes this.
  16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    New poll :p

Which writer makes there OC the most important, powerful person ever

A) Zahn with Mara
    B) Filoni with Ahsoka

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    B , but not by much

18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Filoni has no problem with making Ahsoka the dumbest person in the galaxy on the flipside, apparently.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Darth_Pevra like this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Darn you Lucas for creating Ahsoka :mad:

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Filoni created the concept, Lucas made her Anakin's Padawan.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    So Ahsoka is the lesser of two (or three) evils, then? :p

I hear what you're saying, but to be fair, the fact that Tano may not reach the level of a Mara Jade or Thrawn doesn't mean that Ahsoka's been handled particularly well, either. For a good number of folks, it's plain to see that she's been reduced to little more than a pet by Filoni since at least the third season of TCW. The man freely admits his own attachment issues with the character, after all; it's not as if people are simply conjuring false criticisms out of thin air.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Nah, to me, anyway, she's always been a character with potential. Nothing wrong with creating her, at all. And I actually like her on the whole. Just, you know, darn that which she's been reduced to. But hey, everyone is different. For some she's the best thing since sliced bread, and there's nothing wrong with that.

My only real issue is that I feel the folks in charge of shaping SW characters and stories have a responsibility beyond their own attachment to any one character. And as Darth Pevra points out, it's not as though it's exclusive to Filoni or Tano, either. Plenty of writers have had to deal with similar feelings. A good writer will know when to put the greater good ahead of their own feelings. To his credit, Filoni recently stated in an interview that he acknowledges his attachment to Tano, but that he would have no issue with, for example, killing off Ahsoka if that is what the story dictated. On this, I have my doubts, but I'd be perfectly willing to admit that I'm wrong.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Given that Lucas wanted her killed off and Filoni fought to keep her alive--which he also acknowledged in one of the interviews posted in this thread, as well as admitting his attachment to the character--I don't think he would ever acknowledge a situation in which the story demanded that she die. He would find a way to write around that somehow.

No, Filoni is hardly the only Star Wars writer with the pet character problem, but that doesn't make it OK; IMO a good writer is one who never lets the audience know through the story who his or her pet characters are. Stover and Luceno, for example--I have no idea who their favorite Star Wars characters are, they write all characters fairly. Keyes, another favorite of mine--his favorite character might be Tahiri but again, I'm not sure.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Meh, Ahsoka was portrayed as pretty dumb at times, like when she associated with Ventress in Wrong Jedi or couldn't push an elevator button. Or when a couple of inept younglings had to help her out. The fact that Filoni knows of his favouritism means he can counteract it (and did so imo), something Zahn would never do.

She also has notable character flaws that often hurt her. She doesn't think things through. She's overly judgemental sometimes. For Ahsoka, everything is black or white. She doesn't understand anything in-between.

Now people are probably gonna tell me "but she hold her own against Grievous!" Well, TCW Grievous is the most pathetic villain I can think of. Fighting him to a standstill isn't really that impressive.

Seerow likes this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Though I haven't read it yet, some folks here (who's opinions I value) have stated a real appreciation for Karen Traviss' Ahsoka in the TCW movie adaptation. But given Karen's current (non) relationship with Lucasfilm, that's probably not very likely. Still, I'd love to see Imperial Commando 2 become a reality, and if handled the right way, it might not be a horrible idea to work Tano into that storyline.

I'll say this, I absolutely loved what Matthew Stover did with both Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the relationship between Palpatine and Anakin, in the ROTS novel. I've already cast my vote for Matthew to get the Episode VII gig, and given the opportunity, I think there's every chance he could do wonders with Ahsoka, too.

Probably, yeah. ;)