main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spike Lee's Oldboy remake

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Jul 11, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Didn't you like Star Trek Into Darkness?

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I was distracted by how awful Benedict Pumpkinpatch's head is.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Fair enough!

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's a spectacular and misshapen lump.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No. Nor does that film fit the alleged paradigm.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

I think the Wock was confusing Guy Pearce with Ed Norton, which is perplexing in and on itself. Dudes don't even look alike. Not in the slightest.

7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I mean whichever the one is the main character. His role is just "I used to be an average insurance salesman white guy until I lost my memory." It's the same. The movie also has an incredibly dark tone, which is the second common element of all his films. So even if it wasn't technically him--did you guys know which character I meant?--it was pretty clearly written with him in mind.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You forgot "disgruntled", "middle management", and/or "rebels against the system".

So now you've backpedaled all the way down to "white guys who as far as we know are, or used to be, average".

White guys always play white guys.

It's the same, I tell you! The same in every film!

9. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Did you watch the film?

A. He is markedly disgruntled. The whole suggestion is that, at some level, he just enjoys doing what he does. He likes the killing. In arranging his final kill, he's revealed as an active participant in his violent, reckless lifestyle, despite not having the memory to always realize he is such. People that are happy with their lives don't do this.

B. He was an insurance claim adjuster. That's exactly the sort of incredibly low level white collar job that "middle management" perfectly describes. There is a small modicum of authority and expertise that puts it above the lowest rung positions, but not a of obvious paths for career advancement.

C. He's a murderer who attaches himself to various drug dealers. Even at best, he's a man on the hunt for vigilante justice. This is a marked rejection of "the system" which probably would've seen him living a quiet, uneventful life in a nursing home somewhere. Which, by the way, is an option he could revert to at any time, and simply chooses not to.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Reviewers are comparing it to The Wicker Remake?

AW NAW NOT THE INCEST! NOT THE INCEST! AAAA BLAH BLAH MY ****

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    You of course seem to have somehow missed what he was unhappy about at that specific point: having been used as an assassin. The film you appear to be talking about - in which Edward Norton is playing the role and it's all because he's unhappy with his life as a "disgruntled employee" insurance claim adjuster - doesn't exist.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    There is a shot of the hammer fight, from the side angle of the original, in the trailer. Don't recall the different angles, probably the one just jumped out at me because it was like the original. So, yeah . . .

Also, who bets the ant on the subway train won't be there? God, I was literally sitting there with my jaw hanging open when that happened.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Aren't they remaking Lady Vengeance as well?

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    He's unhappy at being used, but he's perfectly happy to be on some quest for vigilante justice. This isn't by any means a normal or rational response. Not even given the situation he's found himself in. It's a much broader rejection of societal norms. You're more than a bit out of touch if you think this is usually how amnesiacs spend their time.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    The film you were watching was entitled Fight Club. It's just that someone stuck it in a box labeled "Memento". This is the source of your confusion.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    WHAT'S IN THE BOX? OH GOD WHAT'S IN THE BOX

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Five Ways You Can Tell That Memento Is not Fight Club

1. No Meat Loaf man-boob action

2. It does not feature Edward Norton ( or that chick who's in every Tim Burton movie even though they still make thousands of people audition just for the lulz )

3. Ender never accused anyone of having never heard of Ellen Ripley until Fincher got involved

4. It doesn't promote the idea that blowing up some buildings will erase the debt record, because that's painfully stupid

5. One is called "Memento", the other is called "Fight Club"

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I would go so far as to say they are the exact same character with different mental illnesses. One is a character with dissociative identity disorder, the other has amnesia. Otherwise their reactions and presentation are highly similar. So are many of the themes explored in each film and the tone in which that exploration occurs.

19. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i just remembered what happens at the end of this movie and how dumb it is.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What?

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just remember this post in this thread and how dumb you are.

:p

22. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    I REMEMBER YOUR HEAD AND HOW DETACHED FROM YOUR BODY IT WILL BE

snaps!

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So the movie flopped. Like hardcore. Not even in the top ten.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Aggregate Rotten Tomatoes/IMDB score, which is how I decide what movies to go see, is 45%. You gotta be over 66% for me to even consider you, dude. Guess I'll just have to rewatch the original on Blu-Ray (got the entire Vengeance Trilogy! Can't wait!)