main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Skywalker Family and the House of Solo

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kabers, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kabers

Kabers Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2013
    As i've come to understand, in the EU stories, Luke, Leia and Han all had children at some point (Leia and Han had children together and Luke had a son with Mara Jade), well, this is a thread to discuss that aspect of the EU.

Here are my thoughts;

1. Why was Leia the first of the twins to have children

2. What do you think Luke and Mara were like as parents to Ben?

3. Does anyone else think it's a little funny how Mara married Luke, when she used to work with the man who would one day be her Father-in-Law?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Leia was (as far as we know) the first, since Leia married 14 years before Luke did- and none of Luke's ex-girlfriends were ever shown to have had children by him at any point.

Luke & Mara's time as parents isn't really covered in any detail- because there's huge gaps in the timeline- 5 years before and 4 years after the Dark Nest trilogy, when most of Ben's childhood is. Luke, however, does seem to be a fairly affectionate parent in Fate of the Jedi.

And some people do dislike Mara's marriage to Luke- their relationship only really got going in Vision of the Future, just before they were married in the comic: Star Wars Union. I'm OK with it, but I can see why others might not be.

3. Kabers

Kabers Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2013
    What i meant was why was Leia a parent before Luke was? Why did Luke have a family so much later than Leia?

First of all, i'm glad they got married, it shows that Luke had his "Happily Ever after" even though Leia chose someone else and that he wouldn't spend his life alone

Second of all, what i meant was it's kind of funny that Darth Vader and Mara were working with their future In-laws and didn't even know it.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Every time Luke tried to have a relationship, it ended up breaking up.

Plus, he was spending a lot of time on rebuilding the Jedi Order.

As it is- Leia's relationship received a delay too- she didn't actually marry Han till 4 years after Return of the Jedi.

5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone else agree with me that Luke and Mara should've had Ben before NJO?

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Hmm... he would have still grown up during the Vong war, but yeah actually that could have made for some interesting story ideas.

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Yuuzhan Vong could have kidnapped him! Oh what an endless treasure trove of stories!

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  8. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    [​IMG]
    She likes your idea :p

No in all seriousness, I meant more about thoughts and ideas by Luke and Mara about the kind of galaxy their son might grow up in and such things. :)

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    What i meant was why was Leia a parent before Luke was? Why did Luke have a family so much later than Leia?
    that is obvious. Luke had to single handedly bring back the jedi knights. So he did not have time for such things, and i imagine that he was worried what his son could become. He did not marry until he met Mara. That is how it should be. They had a kid, which was a huge risk. With Mara being in a war against her own body and the YV biochemical agent that was given to her to poison her, it could have killed Mara and the baby.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I wish we could have seen more stuff after the NJO and before LOTF. Between then we only have DNT over 2 years out of 10-11 years. Expand that era!

11. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    agreed!!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Leia being the first to have children logically grows out of how ROTJ ends, with Han and Leia presumably settled as a relationship and Luke, well, not...

And then the EU has some dating misadventures in store for him before he finally settles on the protege of his former enemy.

13. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Luke, and Mara were supposed to have children in Vector Prime, but the writer, didn't want to put in small children, so she received a disease instead,
    The editors actually had George Lucas permission for those kids. Don't forget Del Rey wanted to kill Luke instead, but George Lucas intervened, so they killed Chewie instead.

According to Sue Rostini the editor at the time, they didn't ask George's permission to have Ben, that's why Kathy Tyers no longer wrote SW books, after Balance Point.

More, on Luke http://the-toast.net/2013/08/01/the-many-future-mrs-skywalkers/

14. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Han Leia had their kids at the right age.

IMO, they capitulated to Luke far too much and of course with his own kid he was insanely overprotective. Leia's kids were like an experiement to Luke. I hated the whole taking the kids away from their parents crap. There was no reason for it. Han and Leia were robbed. They were bonded with different people, not their parents. That wasn't right.

JediMatteus likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    From Jedi Search:

During their first two years, Luke said, Jedi children were most vulnerable. Any contact with the dark side could warp their minds and abilities for life.

16. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

And he knew this HOW?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    All that research he did on the Dark Side in Dark Empire, maybe? (Admittedly he was studying under Palpatine's direction).

He also gets hold of a huge amount of Jedi lore at the end of The Courtship of Princess Leia.

18. Darth Mird'ika

Darth Mird'ika Jedi Padawan

Sep 11, 2013
    Sounds like something he may have learned from Yoda on Dagobah. He was, after all, hardly more than a child himself. Plus Yoda preached so much about the Dark Side to him. Lots of knowledge can be retconned into that time frame.

19. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    If we emphasize the bolded word in that sentence, we could have some VERY interesting stories come up in the future EU don'tcha think?

I've been talking about that (admittedly on other boards) for years now. That 11 year gap always bothered me.

However, it may actually be a godsend. Its been 36 years since ANH. And that gap is 30-41 ABY centering right around then. That leaves a basically open decade for the sequel trilogy to occur that could actually wind up not completely messing with continuity. (or at the very least, limiting the over-writing to LOTF and FOTJ which most people will be OK with anyway - as long as we keep Kemp's duology and Mercy Kill).

Just a thought.

20. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    But then how do you explain Chewie's return in the ST?

21. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    Most beings die when they get hit by a moon, but Chewie's just been in a coma for the past few years.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Because no character could possibly have died in the intervening 30 years.....

23. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  24. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Have a link for where Kasdan said that? Its not in that article and I have yet to see a primary source for it despite looking from other similar comments.

So to note from the article:

The British actor who starred as Chewbacca, Han Solo's furry sidekick, in the original Star Wars films, has said he hopes to reprise the role in JJ Abrams' forthcoming Episode VII

He'd like to...well that's nice. I'd like to be cast too. Sure he has a way better shot, but it still means precisely nothing at this point.

But for argument's sake, lets say that they want Han to have a wookiee partner in the sequel trilogy. Anyone remember what happened near the end of The Unifying Force? Oh yeah, Lumpy and Lowie said they were taking over Chewie's life debt to Han.

So, Han still gets his fuzzy co-pilot (plus or minus lightsaber and force-smash) and we don't have to trample EU. That works surprisingly well now doesn't it? (In point of fact it always bothered me that that detail was completely neglected in future EU)

25. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    1. [​IMG]
      Pablo Hidalgo@infinata
      5h
      @starsymbiotes in the future... We're working on it. :)

View conversation
    2. [​IMG]
      Pablo Hidalgo@infinata
      5h
      @starsymbiotes and then everything else was EU. Stuff that might be true. Might also not be.

View conversation
    3. [​IMG]
      Pablo Hidalgo@infinata
      5h
      @starsymbiotes I can say that in the past, if it was intended for the screen and developed by George Lucas, it was canon.
    @stern_man More than 140 chars allow. Nutshell: story group is about ensuring future storytelling meshes better far more than in past
    — Pablo Hidalgo (Infinata) July 29, 2013
    Pablo Hidalgo ?Infinata 12 Sep
    @StarWarsJedinyt Hadn't heard that before. The heart of the canon is Episodes I-VI and TCW.
    MaGnUs ?@lordmagnusen 19 Oct
    Infinata Hey, are you doing any work for "Rebels"?
    Expand
    Pablood Hidalghoul ?Infinata 19 Oct
    @lordmagnusen Yeah, I'm lucky to be part of that team.
    Hide conversation
    SW Beyond the Films ?@SWBeyondFilms 15 Sep
    So these Standalone Origin movies.... changes won't be limited to POST-ROTJ EU Folks.
    Expand
    Pablood Hidalghoul ?Infinata 15 Sep
    @SWBeyondFilms turns out 'beyond films' will be an interesting spot to be in a future dominated BY films :)
    The EU, we knew is dead already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.