main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST lightsaber battles. Mirror PT or OT?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by therealharvywallbanger, Oct 30, 2013.

?

Should ST lightsaber battles resemble the OT or the PT? You have to pic one

1. OT

120 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. PT

146 vote(s)
    54.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Nothing to envy, anyone can do it. If you're interested, find a school near you and go.

2. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    If it was that easy jeet kune do schools are virtually nonexistent where I live, still I'm happy taking some form of martial arts so I can't complain

3. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

If there is no one near you who can teach it, check out some books by Bruce Lee (Bruce Lee's Fighting Method is a good one), and The Straight Lead and Jeet Kune Do: the Arsenal of Self Expression, both by Teri Tom. Books are obviously a 2nd choice to an live teacher, but if you have a foundation of martial arts already and can "speak that language", you'll definatly get something out of those books.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  4. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Thanks, I'll try and have a look into it :)

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    ST lightsaber battles you say? I have no opinion.

[​IMG]

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd love to see a 2 on 2 fight, a 1 on 1 on 1 fight or a 4 way fight.

7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'd like to see Sith battling each other.

8. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Seconded! Something like these fight scenes in TCW:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VMeran, Ryus, The Hellhammer and 5 others like this.
  9. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    I think there was much more passion in the OT battles, although they were much slower.

I mean, take the scene from ROTJ where Vader has just told Luke that he will turn his sister, and that shot from behind Luke where he's swinging crazily sparking everything left, right and centre.

Now compare that with the scene from ROTS where Anakin and Obi-Wan are battling through that tight corridor with Anakin sparking everything left, right and centre.

I think theres much more passion and emotion in the heavy-handed lightsaber battles of the OT, however a mix would do it justice, with some fast-paced stuff and some slower stuff.

Dra--- and Sarge like this.
  10. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Yes! If the ST can make duels like that, I will be happy. That was one of my favorite duels in all of TCW, even though it was short. I might have to rewatch that. Just makes me miss TCW.:(

VMeran, Ryus, Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  11. therealharvywallbanger

therealharvywallbanger Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2013
    The meaning behind the strike is what this post made me think of. PT battles started off high and therefore had no momentun. OT battles built a story behind each strike and counter. The speed and flashiness of the PT battles are not what I disliked. I wanted a story told during the battle rather than a story told before it. That's why I must side with OT if I had to choose.

Dra--- and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Please keep in mind that this is a movie. A movie is about drama and visual interest. What kind of visual interest would there have been if Maul had merely walked or run? I think Maul's flip added much more drama and visual interest to this scene.

VMeran and TheMDOSS1313 like this.
  13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Looks like most want the PT style. I went with OT as my preference but PT works fine too. Either one would work. The success of these films for me personally does not hinge on the lightsaber fights. They will rock no matter what. I'm not picky when it comes to those.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  14. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013
    I honestly dont know what else to say

15. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Newcomer to this thread ...

The PT portrayed well-trained Jedi and Sith fighting hard to kill the other person. In the OT, Obi-wan's objective was not to fight Vader as much as stalling him to protect Luke and the other heroes. When Luke fought Vader in ESB he was very much an apprentice and Vader's objective was to trap Luke, not kill him. Vader, being so much more experienced, toyed with Luke, in a way.
    In ROTJ, neither Vader or Luke really wanted to the kill the other.
    So, how the lightsaber fights should be depends on the situation that the fights occur in, and the motivations of the two fighters.

I think that in the ST, trained Jedi should fight like trained Jedi, but it would only be natural if their styles were influenced by Luke's style - it is not like there could have been many other teachers available...
    However, I do think that it would also be interesting if the Jedi (and other possible lightsabre-wielders) would have more personal styles.

16. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013

I agree with 100% of what you said. The force is strong with this one.

But you have to choose is the purpose of the thread. Just for fun. The film is going into final production. You are the creator and they ask you... Darthlars, my lord., we have 2 types to chose from. PT or OT? We can build off them but what is the frame work we chose?

17. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    This poll is obviously flawed because there is no both choice. Instead it's designed to promote OT/PT wars.

I choose Both. I think most here would.

18. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013
    You are correct and incorrect at the same time.... as in both as you chose. The poll is not flawed and yes I did it to create debate. In a previous post I had stated I would choose both as well but it's a hypothetical question. Hypothetical discussion can be fun and entertaining if you allow it to be. Thats why I did it. It doesn't always have to be a war.

And if you want to get to the truth your answer is flawed because you never answered the question as it was asked..[face_shame_on_you]

19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Sorry, wasn't trying to attack you or suggest that you were trying to instigate PT/OT wars. It's just that any question formulated like this is going to lead down that road. In a perfect world (forum) questions like this wouldn't be problematic, but many here, including myself, have strong views on the PT/OT which easily suck us into ad hominem.

No offense meant to you, fine sir.

And both really is my answer: I like the drama of the OT and the visual flair and speed of the PT. I really do want to see a synthesis.

Immortiss and Circular Logic like this.
  20. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013
    But in this thread you can't choose both it's not an option... now choose![face_skull]

21. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I did choose. Please consider rejecting false binary logic.

Immortiss and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013
    See you are incorrect. You did not choose Dra. There are plenty of threads out there to discuss this very thing. I created this one with only 2 answers. You chose neither of them specifically which derails the very logic you speak of. This isn't a thread of choosing the correct answer it is about choosing the only options available which you keep failing to do.

If I asked you what your favorite food is... lobster or steak and you choose pasta you are not answering the question. I have conceeded I agree with you if there were more options but there is not. It's just for fun to to spark debate about the different styles and emotions involved between the two. But if you don't want to answer That's cool with me.

23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Your logic does violence to the truth.

24. therealharvywallbanger

Oct 30, 2013

[face_plain]

We are not debating life or death here. We are on a Star Wars forum. If I provoke violence by only giving two options to a question about a movie the said person who is provoked needs immediate mental attention. That being said you are correct again.

But this thread is not a mental evaluation of myself or you. You can choose or not I don't care at this pointo_O

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I wish I had edited the poll response options to add "both" back before people had started voting. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.