main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Fast & The Furious (Fast X)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 4, 2011.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Is it really worth celebrating the 7th or 8th iteration of something? I'd much rather have an adaptation of a good novel than see the 17th entry in some series just because the first was an "original" mish-mash of a bunch of tired,cliched story elements into mindless, mediocre action movie.

yankee8255, Darth Guy and jp-30 like this.
  2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Too soon.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Automobile safety is always improving, but apparently it's not enough to counteract the power of driving a high-end sports car like a ****ing idiot. Thanks, Paul Walker's "friend," for giving him a death we can use to reference his most well-known work.

anakinfansince1983 and jp-30 like this.
  4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Exactly. I wasn't into this franchise at all—had only seen the first one actually—but when they re-tooled it, bringing in Dwayne Johnson and turning it into a sort of Ocean's 11 on Red Bull, I gave it another shot, and I'll tell you; Fast 6 wasn't necessarily the best movie I saw in 2013, but it's the most fun I had at the cinema all year by far. But now, considering the ironic way Walker died, I want no part of F&F7. I'm not against them completing it, and not even against them moving on with 8, 9, 10, etc., but count me out. I just won't be able to enjoy them anymore, and you've gotta wonder if Diesel and Co. will feel the same way.

5. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Can't believe Paul died, very tragic, gonna be very hard to watch the F&F series now, with the way he died

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Given the sheet amount of money on the line, in addition to the notion of leaving the story he contributed to unfinished, I don't see them walking away from the franchise- if he had died in an on-set car accident, it might be a different story.

At the very least, I could see them scaling back franchise plans to wrap things up in 8 instead of 9. But 7 & 8 are going to happen.

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I know that in the wake of his death there are obviously larger and more important concerns than the fate of F&F7, but I am really curious to know just how much of it they have completed. I agree with The2ndQuest, there's no way they don't finish this film at least, and likely the "saga" as whole. It's not the first time an actor has died with a film they were making not completed. If they would finish and release The Crow after Brandon Lee died on set (the result of negligence no less), they'll surely finish F&F7. The question is; will they have to re-tool so much that it'll get delayed?

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The thing the F&F franchise has going for it is that, unlike the aforementioned The Crow, which relied heavily on Brandon Lee's role as the central character, F&F had developed into more of an ensemble casting effort (with, admittedly, a chunk of the spotlight on Vin Diesel's Dom), so, depending on how much they have in the can, they probably could retool the rest of the movie to limit Walker's absence and put a bit more focus on the rest of the cast, especially since my gut says a lot of this sequel is likely to focus on Diesel and Stratham's characters anyway.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What's worse about this is that his friend was driving him back from his charity event that he was hosting.:(

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    How Walker's death affects Fast 7.

While the tragedy of Paul Walker's sudden death in a car accident is still being felt, the show must go on - that includes the production of the seventh "Fast and Furious" film at Universal Pictures.

Shooting had been underway in Atlanta but was on hiatus for the Thanksgiving holiday and was scheduled to start again today (Sunday). That plan is now on hold until tomorrow or Tuesday at the earliest as the death has left the cast and crew devastated.

Director James Wan and Universal executives reportedly held a conference call Sunday morning where discussion was made about necessary rewrites and how to proceed in a manner respectful to Walker's death.
    While much of the film had already been shot, Walker and the cast were scheduled to travel to Abu Dhabi in January to film additional scenes.

The production had been rushing to meet next year's July 11th release date, so any delay could well impact that date. For now though, Universal is not commenting on their plans for the film.

12. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    EDIT: What 2ndQuest posted.

Also...

In comparing it to Heath Ledger, at least Ledger completed his work on The Dark Knight. It also concluded in a way that you could believe the Joker was now caught and sent away. Though unlike Magneto, wasn't able to escape in grand fashion despite it being obvious the third film was going to feature his character initially.

The difference between Brandon Lee and Paul Walkers characters is that Lee played a dark and mysterious character who came out of nowhere and wore makeup for the majority of the film. It was a lot easier to hide his death to complete the Crow. Also, being the first film of that story, there was nothing expected regarding the conclusion. It was what it was.

The character of Brian is nothing like that. Best they can do to hide his character is inside more car stunt work. But he was so central to the plot (even if he wasn't the biggest star of an ensemble now) that if they don't have a beginning, middle and end with his character already completed, it just won't make sense. This isn't a dark franchise at heart. Nobody was anticipating his dramatic demise. At least not before the very end. He was pretty much the constant of the story with Dom to the point where the final scene of the franchise would include those two.

I think they have three options.

1) See if he filmed enough scenes to where they can rework F&F7 to the point where there is either a satisfying conclusion to the character, or possibly even the franchise for the time being. That said if they were planning on a part 8 and part 9, it's highly unlikely there's an ending scene that isn't a cliffhanger. But we'll see.

2) Kill off the character of Brian O'Connor. They'd almost certainly have to do it in some routine car chase though and frankly his character is more the type who would die in someones arms after jumping in front of a bullet than some slow motion car death out of nowhere. So ultimately it's just not going to work even if they are forced to do it. Yet fans would have to settle for it.

3) Recast the character of Brian O'Connor for 7, 8, & 9. But I wonder if there's any actor who would even want to do that. In fact the more I type this, the more unpleasant it sounds. It's not Dumbledore where you simply can't write out the character. On the other hand, it's not like the story of Fast and Furious truly warrants 9 movies.

Plus as I said last night, I don't know where the cast and crew stand now. While there's the old saying "the show must go on," it doesn't mean the Fast & the Furious needs a part 8 and 9. Without their friend and essentially family member Paul Walker around, what's the point?

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    otoh you just wrote that many words about fast and the furious sequels so idk what to tell you dawg

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    When I first heard I assumed the franchise would die with him.

But I'll be that guy again.

Recasting Brian O'Connor could end up being one of the best things to happen to the franchise, as Paul Walker was consistently terrible in the role.

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    ive never seen a fast and furious so i dunnno if they're likable or not homie

17. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Very sad about both deaths as they were not much older than I am, and both appeared to be genuinely good guys. Tragic.

As for the films, I read that this week they were going to be shooting a lot of Walker's scenes so that's definitely going to need a rewrite. In addition, none of the actors are even thinking about returning to work any time soon, and I doubt the studio would even consider making them. So there is plenty of time for a rewrite. I think there is no way they'll hit their original target date. May need to be pushed to the end of summer. As for recasting, I am not in favour at all. Say what you will about his acting, Paul Walker was Brian O'Connor. No one else can come into that role after 6.5 movies and expect to be taken seriously. They will undoubtedly rewrite the script so that Brian is killed off in some way. And I hate to say it, but the easiest way would be in a wreck, like Han. Only need to cut in some closeups of him (even from other movies since there was a lot of green screen) and then film a stunt driver flipping the car. However, that would probably not go over too well with the audience, so hopefully Justin Lin can come up with something a little better.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  18. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000

If you're counting Star Wars as recent, there are loads. Saw, Final Destination, Toy Story, Friday the 13th, American Pie, Halloween, Hangover, Die Hard etc

And if you're counting Avatar, then any single film would count. Avatar is not a franchise. Sure, there's a sequel or two being made, but you can't call it a franchise.

EDIT: Ok, Die Hard is based on a book, but Avatar is not an original story created for the screen. It's adapted from several sources as are most films.

19. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    In terms of the story, Brian has a wife and child. He wanted to hang up the car keys after Fast Five, but he felt he needed to help Dom get his family back. If they wanted to rewrite the whole thing, there's a perfectly good explanation there.

Draconarius and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    This, and it was Dom's sister he was married to, so if you could get Jordana Brewster to come back in between taping her current role on Dallas for perhaps a brief telephone conversation with Vin's Dom saying that Brian and her and their child (or children if they've had more between the time of Fast 5 and 7, then that could work as a way of writing the character of Brain out of the story and giving the character a satisfying resolution that doesn't potentially traumatize movie - goers that having Brian die in a horrific crash (and thus mirroring Walker's own fate) might. Most fans will be smart and wise enough to understand the situation and why Brian would be potentially written out like that.

Edit: BTW, somebody either at E! or elsewhere in the universe has a morbid black sense of humor as E!'s newscrawl announcing Walker's death ran during Vin Diesel's "The Pacifier" movie.

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'd say watching "The Pacifier" by choice is far more morbid than that.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They could always get Paul Walker's chiropractor to do the role...

[​IMG]

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As far as recasting goes, I think it's ruled out for another reason- the franchise doesn't have any precedent fir recasting their characters (that I recall), and, unlike other recast series examples, F&F reinvented itself around the sum of it's cast members returning. Recasting would shatter that premise.

Also, you can't dismiss Avatar as being adapted from other sources. While it was clearly inspired by a wide range of sources, that doesn't make it an adaptation. Otherwise Star Wars isn't original by that metric.

And how exactly does "sure they have 2 or 3 movies in the works" disqualify something as being a franchise?

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I actually had the TV turned to something else when the news broke, I'd turned to E! to see if they were acknowledging it in anyway (since it seems these days they don't acknowledge any 'breaking' Hollywood news unless the last name is Kardasian or Lohan), and just happend to discover that it was The Pacifier playing.

25. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

I'm so sorry.

CT-867-5309 likes this.