main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Fast & The Furious (Fast X)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 4, 2011.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've actually never seen a F&F movie, but I thought I'd pop in and comment on Walker's death. He wasn't, it seems to me, that respected as an actor. I'd just like to mention a movie I thought he was great in; also a vastly underrated movie by the way. That would be Joy Ride with Steve Zahn and Ted Levine. I really, really like that movie; yes, it's silly, but I think Walker and Zahn have great chemistry together. And Levine's voice acting is fantastic.

(Also, yes, it's another "ironic considering how he died" movie, which is too bad). Anyway, he wasn't Olivier or anything, but he was an affable and likable guy on screen. Too bad; he was way too young.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I think one of the other sad ironies of this, is that this wasn't brought about by a night of wild partying as one might expect from Hollywood celebs involved in tragic things like this, but from coming home from a charity event for the recent Typhoon victims sponsored by a charity he founded. In it's own way, that speaks all sorts of volumes about the kind of person he was than any Hollywood role would.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, say what you will about him as an actor- but he seemed like a genuinely good and responsible guy.

And, yeah, let me add to the love for Joyride.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think his likability was the big key for him. Sure he was a good looking guy, but a dozen Paul Walker look-a-likes get off the bus in Hollywood every day, and not many of them go on to have a nearly 30 year career (I checked his Wiki and his filmography stretches back as far as 1985) in the film business.

It absolutely does.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I probably need to see Joy Ride. I've heard good things about it from everywhere.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's better than you'd expect it to be. One of the best things about it is that Walker's character is actually a wimp; the female character is the alpha male of the three. A lot of little things like that in the movie that are just kind of surprising and just a little bit smarter than the usual movie of this type.

7. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    To totally be that guy, for a moment: Paul Walker's death is not ironic. In any way. It's an awful and tragic coincidence, but not ironic.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    On the contrary, I feel that it is very much like having ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He was awful in Timeline, but then again, so was everyone else. Such an awful horrible adaptation of a fairly decent Michael Crichton novel. It makes Congo look like Oscar bait.

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Paul Walker was a totally middle-of-the-road actor, like the vast majority of the acting world is, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm certain the series will continue on without him, especially as it became a greater ensemble piece with the last movie. To be honest, I was more interested in watching the Rock and Vin Diesel duke it out than anything Walker did. I can see them focusing the series more on Diesel and the Rock (especially the Rock) in future installations, and it'd be smart if they played up the outlaw and lawman working together, if a bit formulaic.

11. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Also it was co-written and co-produced by the guy that is directing Episode VII.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  12. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Still, he'd been in more F&F movies than anyone else. I think his absence will be felt more that Michelle Rodriguez's was for Fast Five. Especially with the trio of Walker, Gibson and Ludacris.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He kinda stopped being in other movies besides F&F after 2009.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Yeah, it'll be a tangible difference, unless they manage to introduce a substitute character (or recast, but that would be tricky). To be honest, though, I think the past two movies were all about Walker, the Rock, and Diesel - the other characters exist and are there, but they're in supporting roles.

Of course, they could bring the lead from Tokyo Drift into the story in a big way, which would feel pretty natural and unforced. He's supposed to be in 7, right?

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    He has a movie coming out where he plays a father in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina due out soon (next month I think media's been reporting). He was already doing some press for that one while doing Fast 7.

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Yeah I think the easiest thing to do would be to write Brian out of the story, have him and Mia go retire or something, and try and somewhat replace him with Sean.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, that's probably their best move for future films. The problem is that that sort of moment would totally be a bro-out for Dom and Brian, so having him leave between films is awkward unless the movies are able to successfully refocus on Dom - which they seem to have been doing anyways. I guess we'll see!

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or he gets abducted by the Necromongers never to be heard from again.

TX-20 likes this.
  20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I came across an article that sheds some light on Walker that I thought some of you might find interesting. I certainly did.

Draconarius likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, Vin and Walker have appeared in the same number of F&F stories- 6 movies & 1 short film. No Vin in 2 or 2's prelude short, no Walker in 3 or 4's Los Bandaleros short.

However, it's likely Walker has had the most screentime between the two of them since Vin's role in 3 was just a cameo.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Wow, that was a fantastic article

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah that breakdown has been all over the place yesterday. I've felt like I've had to turn away when they show him at the crash site as it felt like it was an intrusion of his private grief.

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

I haven't seen Fast Six yet, but I'd be down for Hobbs and Dom to NOT be a formulaic outlaw-lawman-working-together-out-of-circumstance-duo. That maybe somewhere down the road circumstances force both men to a final and very fatal showdown. Maybe I'm asking a lot out of this franchise but that'd be somewhat refreshing.

Penguinator likes this.