main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Alas, I am one of them.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Alas, I and all my friends will always be in that crowd.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  3. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002
    The portrayal of Anakin Skywalker in AOTC and ROTS absolutely RUINED the entire OT leading up to Anakin's redemption in Return of the Jedi. By the time he finished crying to Padme about how Obi-Wan was holding him back in AOTC, I didn't want him redeemed because he was a complete jerk long before he fell to the Dark Side.

And as if the OT hadn't already been ruined by the PT Anakin, Lucas just had to go in and insert a creepy 25-year old Anakin in place of the benevolent, joyful older Anakin. Took me right out of it.

Obi-Wan was the real hero of the PT.

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Katie, do you suppose these are unpopular opinions or are you just venting?

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. katie9918

katie9918 Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 28, 2002

Maybe it's just where I've been hanging out regarding fandom, but aside from from the second one maybe, I thought they WERE unpopular opinions.

6. SerRoel

SerRoel Jedi Master

Oct 7, 2013
    I will be disappointed if the new star wars films are about the Skywalkers and Solo's again. Like Lucas said the story of (Anakin) Skywalker has been told, no need to milk it any further. So I hope its a new fresh start. I wouldn't mind a cameo or small roll though, but I would prefer something entirely new. It's such a big galaxy any way.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The fact that it is Episode 7 disproves this anyway. The 6 part "Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader is over. The 9 part Skywalker saga is the story now.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  8. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Welcome to the world of George Lucas, and the ever changing story in a galaxy far, far away....[face_laugh] My older brothers friends used to complain to me in 1980 that the Vader revelation ruined the series and totally contradicted the first movie which they all loved. Then others complained to me in 1983 when Luke/Leia became siblings even though they smooched each other in ESB, and how the Star Wars movies were now too much of a Soap Opera instead of a Space Opera. Then other complained in 1997, 2004, 2011 of the many changes Lucas made to the OOT films and how pointless they were including deleting Sebastian Shaw from the Force Ghost scene. Now many fans are complaining that the ST ruins the 1-6 arc of The Tragedy of Darth Vader.

I think your biggest problem is taking Lucas at his word. ;) Always beware of statements, "Like Lucas said...." [face_laugh]

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    You want new people not related to the Skywalkers, wait for the spin-offs or Star Wars Volume 2.

Michael Skywalker and Carbon1985 like this.
  10. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I don't like Yoda.

The Anakin/Padme storyline isn't that sappy.

11. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    I hate prequel bashers... :)

12. Firmus Jagdon

Nov 7, 2013
    You have more power when the people love you... why else was Obama re-elected?

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I voted for him :p

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    OK, here's one that I feel pretty strongly about.

The Empire Strikes Back is the worst Star Wars movie, and quite easily. Vader, Han, and Yoda were cool, but what the heck, there was no ending, we never heard about the Rebels again after they left Hoth, and it gets very slow between the Hoth battle and the Bespin duel. There is no plot development, it's all just Han and Leia hitting on each other and Yoda talking backwards to Yoda.

OK I really do like TESB, but for me it is by far the weakest Star Wars movie.

-NaTaLie- and Count Yubnub like this.
  15. Darth Binky

Darth Binky Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 24, 1999
    I hate the Exploited Expanded Universe. As far as I'm concerned, the films alone are the saga, although I do admit that I used to enjoy the CW toons (except the "dark jedi", a concept that drives me nuts). I also like the video games, although those are generally not considered canon (I'm pretty sure Luke blew up the first Death Star, not "Rookie 1").

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

Julius Caesar was loved too. It was just a matter of Caesar appealing to the commoners to undermine the authority of the senate. Whereas Palpatine just tried to play the senate.

For instance, Caesar sends looted wealth from Gaul back to Rome and has his men distribute it to crowds. The people love him, while the senators hate him because they feel he is fighting an illegal war that the senate did not approve. Caesar uses his popularity to appoint Marc Antony to a position that has veto power over the senate, so that when the senate tries to declare Caesar a traitor to the Republic, Antony can block it. But instead the senate chases Antony from Rome and so there's this conflict in which both sides are claiming a moral high ground. And Caesar ultimately wins, moves his troops into Rome, becomes dictator for life, etc.

I feel like that's a way more compelling rise to power than Palpatine getting a sympathy vote for Chancellorship, getting emergency powers passively, and then staying in power after his term expires because the Senate demands that Palpatine take more and more executive powers.

I feel like Palpatine needed to be far more active and aggressive in his rise to power. I understand that he wanted to look like someone who had no desire for greater power, but Caesar did that too. He made it look like he was a victim being targeted illegally by the senate and took up the position of dictator to restore order. And when people voted powers to him it was much more obvious that they were being coerced or bribed to do so, not in the case of Palpatine where every politician seems to voluntarily want to give all their authority away just because war is looming.

17. Firmus Jagdon

Nov 7, 2013
    That is most unfortunate.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  18. Michael Skywalker

Michael Skywalker Jedi Padawan

Oct 7, 2013
    With all due respect to Sebastian Shaw, I have nothing against him as an actor, but having Hayden Christensen play the ghost does make more sense.

I liked his portrayal of the unmasked Anakin but when Anakin was burned on Mustafar the living part of his skin was destroyed, and quite simply there is no way he could have aged in the 23 years after.

19. therealharvywallbanger

therealharvywallbanger Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2013
    I still get turned on when Leia kisses Luke. What makes it creepy is I have a good looking sister. [face_worried]

Team Padme likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That would be awkward [face_laugh]

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Hayden Anakin isn't as redeemed as Shaw Anakin.

TX-20, Sarge and Dinos4Ever like this.
  22. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

I like your line of thinking. It seems TESB is more dependent on pretty visuals, score and, of course, the "twist" than any other SW movies. As far as plot and character development goes, there's not much to talk about here.

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't say ESB is the worse but at times it does feel slow...especially the Dagobah scenes. ROTJ is much better IMO.

Darkslayer and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Matt Lanter is the best Anakin.

VanishingReality likes this.
  25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The Phantom Menace wasn't actually that bad.

*hides for cover*