main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    And hopefully, there they will stay. [face_peace]

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Might get a massive re-write after Episode 7 comes out to somehow jam it into the ST framework.

4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    considering how much everyone seems to dislike LOTF and FOTJ, I can't say that the loss of SOTJ would hurt me.

If this was being written by JJM or Luceno or Stover I might flip a table over :{

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Even they couldn't fix it unless they were doing a complete rewrite of the post-NJO.

6. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I would say if anyone could fix it, those would be the three to do it.

7. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It just hit me....as of now no more Allana Solo :(

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Allana Solo is just a random name on a page to me, not that I have actually read anything featuring her, because I am incapable of caring about her at all after what was done to her parents.

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I feel like I have to care for her, since Han and Leia are doing such a crappy job of it.

Danzo, windu4, Jainasolo101 and 2 others like this.
  10. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    This seems to be the status of everything right now. When Pablo was asked about how the EU would be treated in the future on his twitter he answered (borrowing from another thread):

newdawn12 said:
    @starsymbiotes in the future... We're working on it. :)
    @starsymbiotes and then everything else was EU. Stuff that might be true. Might also not be.
    @starsymbiotes I can say that in the past, if it was intended for the screen and developed by George Lucas, it was canon.​
    Basically even he doesn't know (or at least can't say) what's happening with it. Hopefully we'll still get to keep the EU (or at least most of it - I know overwriting of LOTF/FOTJ wouldn't upset too many as long as Mercy Kill, Riptide and Crosscurrent weren't affected). But it seems that that's still up in the air .

I for one would love to finally see a series that focused only on new generation jedi, even if Jaina is 30something now. (YJK and JJK don't count)

11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't they still continue the EU though without the ST getting in it's way? I mean was the EU ever declared as cannon?

12. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    To answer those questions in reverse order:

Well there's the 'canon levels" (G, C, S, N) from the past which did essentially say so. As for what it is now, basically no one is saying (if they've even figured that out yet). But it's also never been declared non-canon either (at least not yet).

And they could easily continue the EU with the Sequel Trilogy not affecting it. I keep meaning to make a thread on this, but to short form it:

ANH was released in 1977. Ep VII is being released in 2015 - 38 years later. The New Jedi Order ends in 29 ABY and LOTF doesn't start until 42 years ABY with the only works between the two being the DNT which occurs over a period of maybe a year. That means we have a 13 year gap which centers around 36 ABY with basically no works during that period. Anyone else notice how that's basically two years off from the real life aging of the Big 3 actors? The sequel trilogy could easily be set during that gap with huge space for accompanying media which would have little to no effect on the existing EU.

And the last 30 years of EU can be explained away with a couple throwaway lines like Han saying "I'm still sad that Chewie died during the Vong Invasion" to Lumpy in the falcon (remember that he and Lowie took over that life debt at the end of TUF?) similar to how Leia says "You served my father in the Clone Wars". And Luke saying "Well, it only took the Empire 20 years to surrender. How long can this take?" And basically those two lines cover all the EU up to the end of NJO. (Ok, Coruscant will look different so maybe one line about that)

We don't need a half hour of exposition dump to cover the EU as it exists, just a couple off-hand references which would take up less than one minute of actual screen time and might lead casual viewers to think "I really want to know what they're talking about" and then search out the EU.

Admittedly explaining LOTF and FOTJ in future movies will be an epic pain. And that one I've yet to figure out how they'll get around.

Can they continue to EU without the ST getting in the way? Absolutely. I'm not even paid for this and I can see how. Will they? Who knows. What worries me is Mr. Reboot Abrams is in charge.

13. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Darth_Henning

That is brilliant. The ONLY issue I see is if the ST spans as long as the PT instead of the OT...

14. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    There is an easy fix for that, wipe the post-NJO out, all of it.

15. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    So much for enlisting in the EUDF, hmm?

16. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    EUDF?

17. LightsaberAccident

LightsaberAccident Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 26, 2013
    European Union Defense Force

They fight the Pan Asian Coalition at the dawn of the next ice age.

or expanded uni. def force

18. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Well DN was tolerable if odd, Millenium Falcon was good Riptide and Crosscurrent are excellent, and Mercy Kill is one of the best books in recent memory. So those I'd argue are worth keeping. And none of them make any huge impact on continuity going forward that can't be addressed easily.

LOTF and FOTJ are distinctly problematic for different reasons - LOTF for the number of deaths that are very difficult to explain quickly, and FOTJ for introducing "holy Sith a planet full of...well...SITH!!" And presuming that the sequel trilogy was wrapped up within the 13 year gap, the sequel sequel trilogy (we really need a name for that) would have a very hard time covering those changes as expediently. Still though, I'm sure that there could be some way found around those. Even if I haven't the faintest notion what.

Mostly I want to keep those because it leads into the possibility of Sword of the Jedi and finally developing some new generation characters like Ben, Jaina, Jag, Seha, Jaden, Valin, Jysella, Syal, Miri, Allana and the few others that have been named so far

19. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    For so long fans of the younger generation have waited for a book series where the Big Three would take a huge step back, and let them shine. LOTF and FOTJ tried to do that, but the Big Three were still to big in the story lines. I just want a book (or series of books) were an author gets to devote his or her time exploring a character that needs more depth than what she is getting. And don't get me wrong, Jaina gets a lot of book time, but I think that if there were a series devoted to her, we would see more from her character; she could be written better than she has been written. I'm biased. I'm a huge Jaina Solo fan (If you couldn't tell). I've just been waiting for a long time for something like this...And I agree with Darth_Henning. While crazy things have come out of LOTF and FOTJ, I wouldn't replace or wipe them clean. I liked some story lines and a few books were very good!

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Any interest I may have had in the post-NJO was killed by the direction Denning took things, so I don't see point in trying to save those side stories, no matter how good they are. I am an X-wing fan who is only planning on getting Mercy Kill in order to support the series, because I believe I will only enjoy the story of what happened to the Wraiths from the Hunt for Zsinj through Yuuzhan Vong War, not the main story, since it's tied to FotJ.

SotJ will be too little too late when it comes to developing the next generation, since that already technically happened in the NJO, only for Denning to completely undo all of that development and all of the NJO's relevance and meaning with DNT, LotF, and FotJ.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    SOTJ should have been set right after the NJO not 15-20 years later.

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I couldn't care less about SotJ, all I want Jacen Solo and Mara Jade Skywalker, and all of the other characters taken away from us by Denning's misguided direction.

23. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Actually, other than mentioning Daala as chief of state and the Lescerson conspiracy, there's no relation of Mercy Kill to LOTF/FOTJ. The book itself is very self-contained and quite enjoyable as a separate entity. I wouldn't give up on it just because of the time setting.

This is hard to debate on either point. Yes, this should have been done long ago, but unfortunately that's what we're stuck with right now.

The four existing characters who were killed off by Denning were Jason, Mara, Pellaeon and Omas. Omas was basically a generic politician who is easily replaceable (and has been by a far more interesting Wynn Dorivan (spelling?) )

The manner of Mara and Pellaeon's deaths were bad. I'll grant that. But Pellaeon was what...approaching 90someting? (had to be at LEAST 84 assuming he was only 20 when the clone wars started). His death as bad, but he was at the point where he had to pass away somehow.

Mara and Jacen are debatable losses. Mara was always an interesting character, but I actually like how Ben and Luke's relationship has evolved after her death, and I don't think we could have gotten that without that happening, so it may not be all bad.

Jacen, I won't address. I know so many people here are obsessed with the character, but he's always been the least interesting and most annoying Skywalker/Solo character to my mind since YJK and NJO so its no loss to my mind. I also don't believe that "every sith must be redeemed if it happened to be a family member".

24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Traviss killed Mara and Pellaeon.

25. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Technically yes. I should have said that "who were killed off while Denning was in charge of planning the series were..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.