main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Here's something to pull apart:

2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    His comment on lightsaber battles worries me a bit. I hope they have very, very few lightsaber battles. No more than one battle per season (heck, that might be too much as well). The Jedi are almost completely wiped out, and those that remain are in hiding. It would be pretty stupid if the Inquisitor, Vader or any other Force using Imperial bumps into a Jedi every episode. A lightsaber duel between the Inquisitor and Vader would be cool imo (of course, Vader would win fairly easy :D)

3. Denco

Denco Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2013
    What a shame that I have found this just now. Looking forward.

4. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    My guess is that an exiled Jedi on Lothal is one of the main characters, and s/he encounters the Inquisitor during the first season.

5. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Looks like they are gonna be doing the formation of the actual Rebel Alliance. The Alliance to Restore the Republic.

I just hope they don't show a scooby-doo esque bunch of kids setting up the Alliance. That would be beyond stupid.

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

Wow, Greg Weisman has shaved his head completely. Love how he is seen wearing a Goliath shirt in shots of the video. Its funny how Gargoyles gets the biggest mention. Your Disney resume is bigger than that Greg. Nothing about W.I.T.C.H. or your writing creds for Kim Possible? You tossed your best known Disney show out there and just sorta touched on Young Justice. I loved seeing him at the table with Dave Filoni. It seems like a winning team to me, a duo of great storyteller and animation genius. A story about the formation of the Rebellion. It just doesn't jive with what I think came from Dave about being Scooby Doo like. I just have a hard time imagining how that can be combined or how a small team of teenagers can tell much of that story. There's gotta be more to it. I look forward to hearing more from Greg. We need us some more production names, writers, and some concrete info on VAs getting leaked to (hey, VA's are usually big sources of info leaks for an animated show).

Circular Logic likes this.
  7. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Wait, is there an actual source on the Scooby Doo thing? It strikes me as fan hysteria.

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

Yeah not a very good source. http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/blue-jasmine-podcast.mp3 I seem to remember Dave said something like at some point but google fails me and after a few hundred pages of searching this thread. I just give up man. It does contradict the info from NYCC http://starwars.com/news/nycc-2013-meet-the-inquisitor-the-new-face-of-evil-in-star-wars-rebels.html which sounds anything but. The USAToday version of that article was cooler mentioning the motley crew of teens that gets everyone worked up.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  9. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Also of note in that video... I spotted Henry Gilroy, head writer of TCW Season 1 in the meetings with Greg and Dave. Odd that they did not mention him yet given his past experience.

10. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Weisman's interview sounds pretty exciting. I was hoping that would be what the show was going to be about in showing how the Rebel Alliance forms. By the way did Weisman somehow find the fountain of youth? By the numbers he gave it sounds like he is pushing 50 yet he looks like he is about 19.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    He was born in 1963 according to the interwebs. Weisman's like 49. I think shaving himself near bald makes him look younger. I can't wait for Rain of Ghosts.

12. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    In terms of people not thinking what he said in the interview is jiving with the small group of teenagers idea. I think many people have been jumping to conclusions based simply on hearing that a small group of teenagers will be some of the main characters in the show.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  13. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I thought the same thing about how young he looked.

As for the show, based on the video I might give it a try. I'm looking more for blasters and imperials rather than Jedi and lightsaber duels though. Old school Alderaan should be fun.

14. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    The way I see it, if they really wanted to have a lot of Jedi around onscreen, and/or plenty of lightsaber duels, they probably should have set the show closer to RotS, back when there were more Order 66 survivors hanging around. I'd imagine that by ~5 BBY, there would hardly be any Jedi left, or at least those that would still refer to themselves as Jedi. By then, most survivors would most likely have relinquished the title and hid their Force powers so as not to attract suspicion. Thus, there would be quite a bit of cognitive dissonance if we see a lot of Jedi showing up using the Force and fighting with lightsabers. Sure, you probably want this Inquisitor guy to see some action, but if we're gonna be seeing even half a dozen Jedi (still behaving as Jedi) in a single season or two, that's probably already too many.

Still, there does seem to be hints that at least one of the main characters in the Ghost would be a Jedi, or rather, a former Jedi (hopefully). If so, then I guess they could still have a focus on Jedi (singular) in the show as opposed to multiple. But then again, we probably need some Jedi redshirt(s) for the Inquisitor to kill off early on. Won't help the suspense if the theoretical Jedi character in the Ghost keeps escaping his clutches safely and with all limbs intact, each and every time.

As for the formation of the actual Rebel Alliance, we'll see where they go with that. I wonder if they'll retcon TFU? If so, hopefully they avoid having a big Jedi impact in shaping the formation of the Alliance, since I believe many folks were turned off by that aspect of TFU, wherein Galen Marek helps to found the Rebellion, and they make his family crest the symbol of the Alliance.

Contessa and eht13 like this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I for one would love it if they retconned over that "Galen Marek helps to found the Rebellion, and they make his family crest the symbol of the Alliance" plotline from TFU.

16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I forgot this is only supposed to be 5 years before ANH. I always thought of the 10 to 15 years prior to that movie as being a Jedi free era. A time when good guys had to deal with problems without the help of the force. It's easy to just ignore more EU stuff, but I'm really hoping for something respectful of that period. The need for a character like the inquisitor does make me nervous.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I wonder if 5 year before ANH will be stated in the actual show or they'll leave that out incase they want to retcon that longer or shorter depended on how long the show last f we make it past season one then I predict three. I just don't think Rebel's will have the longevity of TCW which had an exceptionally long run to any action cartoon/ animated series I can think of in the last 8 years. I know it was often debated exactly how much time TCW took up and if it would be needed to make the Clone Wars era longer. I like the SW's continuity makes it impossible for a series to use a floating timeline.

18. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Is this Ventress? y/n?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Good eye if that comes from the video. If the first one isn't Ventress then its definitely another female Dathomirian who looks uncreatively like her. The second one does to but its really sketchy, sorry for the pun. Storyboarding is so cool. I want to see more of it.

20. Bliss000

Bliss000 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2012
    Ahsoka and Ventresssssssssssssssssssssssss

=P~

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hoping for Ventress, written well.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, I would love to see Ventress as long as they write her parts well and don't overuse her. I also think that looks like her in those sketches.

Regarding the points made above by HL&S ... I agree, I don't have a great feeling about this Inquisitor character even being in Rebels.

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

Or maybe some all new female leads. Filoni seemed the think we needed more characters for girls to cosplay as or men to go in drag as, huh? Strong female leads aren't new to Weisman either. Paging Elisa Maza. Just don't fall off the building this time.

24. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Yes, this is the Greg Weisman I know and love! Now if he can just sneak in a non-cishet character or two like he usually does, it'll be a winning trifecta. I have way higher hopes for Rebels with him onboard than I ever did with TCW.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's not to say I don't think Dave Filoni brings anything to the table. As I said earlier Weisman is a great storyteller but The Clone Wars also had stuff I liked and felt less run of the mill than most animated shows on TV. I feel certain TCW raised the bar and influenced the development of other animated shows that have come along in the last 5 years. Shows the sadly appear to have all died together. Filoni is fantastic with the design work, the animation itself, and the technical aspects. Putting Filoni and Weisman together gives me high hopes for something that can really be awesome, be successful, and raise the bar again for action cartoons/ animation. I'm tired of all the little crackbaby cartoons clogging my Cartoon Networks. I'm sure if Rebels performs well. We'll see another influx of them and CN which pretty much cancelled all the action cartoons will swing right back to hosting some.