main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Who reads comments anyway.

2. NCISliar

NCISliar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    The authors (or at least somebody who was allowed replying there) sometimes answered a few questions there.

3. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    I liked it for my article because people were saying nice things about it. :)

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    He isn't?

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The comments are gone? Damn. We were referencing some of them on the Wook.

6. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    guess my critique is deleted then... need to repost it though now.

7. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Plaristes, Gorefiend and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh god, not a feature on jizz. [face_plain]

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The article didn't even mention Ars Dangor. [face_plain]

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we complain when you play your jango tapes to load? No? Then stop complaining about our taste in music!

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    James Kahn what were you thinking

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  14. finkman

finkman Jedi Master star 1

Apr 10, 2003

As the author of the WTS entry on Augie Jowil, I have to say that I'm psyched/shocked to see her and Beezar (not Beezer) Pert mentioned!

jSarek likes this.
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    His ability to use the Force has clearly diminished.

_Catherine_ and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  17. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    We may not thrive, friend. But we survive, friend!

This may just be a "hmm, neat" to most of you, but as a big fan of the Holiday Special and in particular the cantina scene, this is like cocaine to me. Hats off to Sompeetalay! And Kevin Beentjes.

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    It's pretty cool to have all the random information about these characters over the years brought together and made sense of.

It's still surprising how so many years later, we are still getting so much mileage out of these old sources. Another example is the currently being released Insider 146 giving us a great "Rogues Gallery" from Tim and Kevin (and others) naming a bunch of pilots in Echo Base.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    Rogue's Gallery is one of my absolute favourite features, since it always does a great job with bridging unnamed and otherwise unimportant extras in the movies with much bigger characters from the wider EU, so I really like this article even if the focus isn't exactly one that interests me.

Although I'm still waiting for them to cover the briefing onboard the Home One. [face_not_talking]

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  20. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    That would be cool. I mean, who are these two? They look important. They've got to be something more than just Mon Mothma's bridge group.

[​IMG]

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ... and Jason knocks it out of the park with another stellar Xim article.

Then again, I love Xim, so I'm a little biased. :p For some reason it gave me a strong vibe of the old Dune Encyclopedia....

darthscott3457 likes this.
  22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks. I think it's pretty obvious why the first part was cut (which isn't to say I don't like it), but I'm really happy I finally got to share the Michael Kogge "Despotica" poem he was kind enough to write for the book.

Dan Wallace will be a guest star pretty soon, BTW.

23. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Yamarus, Zaletta, H. Drayson

They're all there I tells ya.

24. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    It sure was great, and I 100% concur about the Dune vibe.

Love the quote:

"In Eternal Homage to Xim, Whose Fist Shall Enclose the Stars and Whose Name Shall Outlive Time."

It would be great to see some more stories about him and his era, and to see some of those cool, hopefully large :), warships he had.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What, nobody took the bait on my Ars Dangor comment earlier? That's no fun! I was hoping somebody would accuse me of being single-minded, to which I would reply "I, of course, refer to Ars Dangor, the http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ars_Dangor#Galactic_Weekly_NewsStack_correspondent]arts[/url] correspondent." Alas. :(

Now on to Xim... first, a link to the blog: http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/20...to-warfare-authors-cut-part-3-xim-the-despot/

Comments:

I. Yeah, I like that quote too.

II. Favorite bit was the stuff about searching for an authentic likeness of the guy. Reminds me of the 12th century manuscript of the Alexander Romance I was looking at in a museum the other day: they had the Macedonian king garbed as a Byzantine emperor -- not because they couldn't imagine anything else or because they were as educationally impoverished as the West, but because it suited the imperial court to have his glory redound to the emperors. We often see historical subject matter -- sometimes in sculpture but usually in painting -- reflect contemporary or anachronistic styles and fashions, and it's always interesting to look at the reasons why. Kinda sad that this guy was so obsessed with finding the actual likeness because to me what other generations and peoples thought of Xim and how they used (or even saw!) his memory is just as important as discovering what he really looked like. But I guess that's why you have folks specializing in different areas, or there wouldn't be much to do as a philologist, archaeologist, or historian.

III. Interesting poem -- I liked the little preface to it about the IU author, because it adds some light on the work. I especially like the insinuation that it's spurious because it's different -- as if poets never experimented! But then that, too, reflects an important consideration: a lot of times authorship is extremely uncertain, and some works are proven to be forgeries. Heck, I remember reading a series of heated journal articles dueling over the issue over whether Sulpicia -- the lone (surviving) female voice in all of Latin literature is authentic or just an invention by Propertius (the one side: chauvinists allege that a woman could not have written as she did, the other: imagining a teenage girl speaking out in a patriarchal world is wishful and romantic thinking, and back again with chauvinism on the other side: of course it's genuine, because the verse is so sloppy it had to be some inept, lovestruck teenager (my two cents: ever considered that was her whole point, to have verse and language reflect the speaker's emotional state?)). Folks really drilled down into syntactic analysis and it can get to be pretty crazy. I often think that people can let their prejudices get the better of them: whether you want authorship to be genuine can really affect your scholarship on the matter. Seems to certainly be the case for this guy.

IV. Seems I missed out on Xim Week :p

Gorefiend likes this.