main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    From the looks of the back paws, and possible eye shine... I'm going to take a wild guess based on the spacing of the tracks...

Possibly raccoon.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I tried the GIMP a long time ago and didn't really get it, but I tried to figure it out myself and it didn't work out too well. I probably would do much better now. I should give it a shot. But I may have to checkout paint.net, I haven't tried that out.

No clue on what animal that is, but can I have some of your snow? I was just whining that it was 45 degrees here today... in New England... in December! I want some snow! :)

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    You want snow? You can have all the snow you wish. My sister's cat went outside today and came back looking like some abominable snow beast. I should have taken a picture.

So, it is my belief that some people just should not use technology. My step-dad's sister is one. She is not the brightest person to begin with and is just stuck in the 1980s. She has no kids on top of that so she is pretty technologically illiterate. Anyways, we set her up with an ipod shuffle a few years ago and taught her (a few times) to use itunes. Everything was fine and dandy and I dont think she used it for awhile but last week she bought a $15 itunes gift card and typed it in, but when she went to buy what she wanted, it asked her for all her security questions. The problem is, she can't remember any of the answers. Now she's pissed off because apple support can't help her and my siblings and I can't help because we have no idea what the answers were. I said her only option is to just make a new account, but she she got really annoyed with me because doesn't want to lose that $15. UGH! Now she wants to buy a smart phone and wants my siblings and I to go help her pick it out on saturday and teach her how to use it. I laughed. I have an exam that day. I think I'd rather do an exam, than help her.

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Send some snow to Pennsylvania while you're at it!

But, yes, I'm pretty sure that those tracks are coon tracks. At my mom's old house, we had raccoons, and their tracks looked pretty similar. What gave them away were the hind feet. One of those tracks has defined toes, and there looks like some tail dragging, too.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I have seen raccoons occasionally...so you are probably right. What is creepy is it looks like they were watching me. lol! That photo was taken in the morning around 7AM. It is so dark here in the winter.

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That is one thing I'm not a fan of living in New England... how early and how long it stays dark. When I moved here my brother told me it gets dark around 4pm in the winter, I though he was joking right up until it did. I can't imagine living even further north just for that reason. The cold and snow I can deal with, but the sun setting in the early afternoon kills me.

Though I guess it not getting dark until around 10pm in the summer is the trade off.

7. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    mavjade: Indeed that is the case. My aunt, her husband and, as of a couple of years ago, my cousin, all live in a small Maine town called Alna (population +/- 600). I had occasion to visit during the summer of 2000 (IIRC) and spend some time there, and it's a beautiful place. Sure the rivers are quite cold for swimming, but the sheer beauty of the landscape, the old houses dating as far back as pre-Revolution New England, and the Atlantic shores are enough to lose yourself in.

Sure you get a metric butt-ton of snow in the winter, but at least it's a ready-made excuse to stay indoors. ;) Besides, cold you can always bundle up further against. In heat, there's only so much clothing you can shed.

8. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    What is this thing you call the sun? Seriously. I live in the Arctic. I haven't seen the sun in at least 2 weeks. It not exactly night time 24/7, but we only get about 4-5 hours of daylight and it goes down every day. Right around the first day of winter we kinda get daylight, but it's more or less 21 hours of evening/night. But in the summer, it never really gets dark around the first day of summer. The sun goes down but not long enough for the sky to get black. My sister had a boyfriend who lived in southern California. He came up here once in the summer and once in the winter and he was amazed by the hours of light in the summer and the hours of darkness in the winter. It's not something you get used to easily. My step-dad lived WAY up north for a while and he has experienced 2 months of 24 hours of daylight and 2 months of 24 hours of darkness. He said it was the weirdest thing having 12am look the same as 12pm.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Dealt with my dad all day and his bullcrap. Found out that he has power of attorney over my grandma, he's trying to get her house in his name, and he's already cleared out most of the living room so he can eventually put in a pool table.

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My first summer up north and I kept looking at my watch. It was 10 PM and the sun was still up. I said "Does the sun ever set here?" The only bad thing about it is when it is near the end of the school year and I say to my kids, "10 PM--go to bed." They really don't like going to bed when the sun is up.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, my brothers are the same way. When they were little they used to say "Its not bed-time, the sun is still up."

So, I've finished my last paper (awe yeah), and I did my first exam in a half an hour. I knew it was going to only take a half hour but I didn't arrange a ride home so I'm here for four hours till my step-dad gets off work. I knew this so I was going to study for my next exam on saturday, BUT IT'S FLIPPING FREEZING HERE!! It's like -70C in here!!

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My mom had been living in Florida for about two years, and she says it's weird that the sun sets around 4 PM here. She keeps saying that I'm two hours off, despite being in the same time zone.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I didn't know she was from Florida. You could have turned off the heat when she was visiting and told her the furnace had been acting up. She would have gotten a hotel room then.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    She would have toughed it out. But, she's not here now, so that's good. I spent most of the time picking on her for how many layers she wore. She had on four shirts, two of those shirts flannels, one of them regular long-sleeve shirt, and one t-shirt. On top of that, she wore a fur-lined heavy coat, and a scarf, hat, and gloves, and still complained that she was freezing.

I had on a hoodie.

Goodwood and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    It's been rather cold here too. We've had some building work done and there's something wrong with the heating and it's all a bit much. It hasn't been so bad of late, which is good. At one point I was wearing a tshirt, a long sleeved tshirt, and a hoodie, and I was still cold. Wish I had slippers though, it's my feet that get cold the most.

Also, I have a job thing this afternoon. I'm kind scared and panicky about it to be honest. I want to hide in bed but this is important. :(

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Stang this is funny. Don't worry, no spoilers.

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Bwahahahahaha...

Star Wars Episode VII: Rise of the Lens Flare...

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I am tempted to share a weird dream I had last night. What my muse lacks in activity, it's been making up for in spades in Dreamland. Too bad I'm not given much to work with...

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I had a dream that my cats turned into zombies, then one of my cats jumped on me (in my real life) and woke me up and I COMPLETELY freaked out. Exams are just taking their tole on my mind. I have one tomorrow, saturday exams are never fun. I've been studying all day and I feel like I know nothing about the class, but there's not much I can do about it now.

20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Taking exams is like performing on stage. You're all nervous beforehand wondering if you're going to remember your lines, but when the curtain rises, BAM! You're focused and driven, and you're gonna knock'em dead!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, here's the dream, posted as a spoiler, as I'm just copy-pasting it from another forum.

So, weird dream. A planet from a neighboring system decides to declare war on another planet for reasons that were unclear. They had begun this war as a coup for eventual galactic domination, and have been targeting the weaker, peaceful civilizations first. After decimating one world, they set their sights on another world populated by primitive sentient plants.

The name of the warmongering race bent on expanding their empire? The Zekrom, a mysterious shape-shifting race of warriors. They desire slaves and more planets to add to their territory. May as well throw in resources, as they're targeting primitive races on virgin worlds.

The Zekrom's latest target? The Trevenant, a peaceful race of sentient trees whose population is divided into tribes.

The Zekrom launch their attack, deploying helicopters on the technologically-primitive Trevenant, firing upon their villages and dousing the populace with an acidic poison. The species is in a panic, as they cannot seem to hide from the invaders.

One young Trevenant, however, has an idea. His research claims that the Zekrom are basing their attacks on patterns, and that the Trevenant tribes are situated in such a way as there is a clear delineation between the wilderness and civilization, and the Zekrom are using these patterns as a map for their attacks. The Trevenant suggests that if they combine with the other tribes and constantly shift their patterns "like the shimmering ocean," then the Zekrom will be unable to formulate a proper attack, as they won't be able to distinguish the Trevenant from the surrounding plant life.

The village elders scoff at the notion and say that the young Trevenant is crazy. Unable to change or to listen to reason, they submit to their inevitable fate. However, two explorers believe the young Trevenant and suggest they go to the other tribal leaders and request their help, as well as contact the Republic for aid.

Too bad the dream didn't get much farther beyond that point. Interesting way to incorporate Pokemon, too.

Enjoy. I may or may not try to work a fully-fledged story from it. It's just another immature fetal plot bunny that needs to go back in the oven.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's kinda what I'm hoping will happen. That or, that the questions are open enough that I can Bantha Shavit a passing grade.

Trak, that sounds like it would make an awesome story!

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It would be... if I had an ending for it. The premise is fine, but that's all I have.

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I wish that was how I reacted to exams. You put anything that even resembles a test in front of me and I practically can't even remember my name.

So I'm back on day shift, but unfortunately my body is now used to nights. I worked Wednesday night so I slept late Thursday and then couldn't go to sleep until early morning. Friday morning I made myself get up (after 4.5 to 5 hours) so I'd be able to sleep Friday night. I was tired, so I actually went to bed at 9:30, but then got awakend at 11pm and never was able to go back to sleep and now I'm at work until at least 7:15 pm. [face_hypnotized] Needless to say, I'm kinda grumpy.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Snow is coming. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.