main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph List your favorite movies of 2013

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    world war z was the best movie this year.

2. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    please excuse yourself from life

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013
    In no particular order:

Gravity--man, was this a great film. Probably my favorite one of the year.

Frozen--an utter delight. Disney, if nothing else, is making a comeback with their animated films.

Man of Steel--hey, I kind of loved this. It was the Superman movie I'd always wanted. Got enough things right for me to really enjoy it.

Catching Fire--even better than the first Hunger Games. A really gripping drama with great social commentary.

Pacific Rim--this is the five-year-old kid in me talking right now. This was pure, unleaded childhood joy. And heck, even had a really cool universe and likable characters.

And those are the favorites as far as blockbusters. Not had the money to see most of the Oscar bait ones...

4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Oscar bait and blockbusters are the only movie genres.

Darkslayer and AaylaSecurOWNED like this.
  5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I have seen very few movies this year, and only one (Monsters University) at the theaters. But The Hobbit will be high on my list for the simple reason that it has already given me more joy than most movies even before seeing it.

If we allow (and I do) musical recordings, Starkid's two musicals A Very Potter Senior Year and Twisted. Neither Harry Potter nor Aladdin will ever be the same.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I saw most of this Summer's "big" films when they were released, and I've caught most of the films from earlier in the year on DVD, but I missed the Fall biggies like Gravity, 12 Years A Slave and Captain Phillips. But from what I've seen thus far... wow, this wasn't a great year for movies for me personally, as evidenced by the fact that I'm trying to decide between Fast & The Furious 6 and Pacific Rim. Never saw that coming. *Edit* Almost forgot about Mud. That's in the running as well.

There are still some big movies coming out here in this final month that I think could shoot to the top of my list; American Hustle, The Wolf Of Wallstreet, 47 Ronin... maybe The Hobbit: TDOS. I plan on catching them all in the theater.

7. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Gravity. 'Nuff said. What little else I saw ranged from meh to utter disappointment.

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Really? As, like, a film? I mean, as an experience, Gravity was great, and I don't have any huge complaints with the movie, but...best movie of the year?

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It had great visuals, great acting and a compelling story. Other movies this year may have one or two of those things, but Gravity is the only movie I can recall seeing this year that ticked all the boxes.

Pacific Rim had good special effects, but it wasn't big on much else. Iron Man 3 & Man of Steel were the same

Sarge likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I explained that- many big releases haven't come out yet (we're in the middle of the 2nd biggest release window currently) and many smaller, prestige films won't be in wide release for another month or two.

11. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999

Yes. I haven't seen that many movies this year, but without a doubt, Gravity is a spellbinding film-making experience at all levels. Perhaps there is equally compelling Oscar-bait out there but...Oscar-bait. I detest that kind of Weinstein-concoction.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Needs more Affleck.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    FTFY. :p

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Gravity: gripping, though it's basically just a disaster-movie in space. It was a really good time in the cinema from start to finish, and the 3D worked very well, though I can't see myself watching it again any time soon.

The Hunger Games:Catching Fire: loved the first film, loved this one. The cast was great, the pacing good, the action thrilling- the only thing that was disappointing was the abrupt ending. I'm looking forward to watching this again on DVD.

Thor 2 The Dark World: lots of fun, I liked it very much. Not perfect - it perhaps relied a little too much on the humour and had an under-developed villain, but those are fairly minor quibbles. I'll get the DVD when it comes out.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Street Fighter: The Movie
    The Quest
    Twilight
    10,000 B.C.
    Legion
    Ghost Rider: The Spirit of Vengeance
    A Haunted House

Oh you meant from this year? Well **** off.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I can understand why Man of Steel is getting a lot of positive mentions, but it almost boggles my mind to see all the appreciation for Only God Forgives on these lists... that was such a terrible, terrible film.

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Forgot to add Fast 6 to my list

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You don't like seeing Ryan Gosling walk around in a zombie-like state?

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    A cardboard cutout of Gosling would have been more than effective for 97% of this scenes in that film.

20. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i forgot to mention computer chess, which i loved and is actually the best comedy of the year. **** off, the world's end.

21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Honestly, I didn't think 2013 was THAT great of a year movie wise, compared to last year. But I really enjoyed Catching Fire, Thor 2 and Despicable Me 2!

22. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    CRAP i also forgot prince avalanche, which was awful, despite the great paul rudd judds.

23. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Great:
    Gravity
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
    Pacific Rim
    The World's End

Dear God why did I bother?:
    A Good Day To Die Hard
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    Man of Steel

Cheesy goodness:
    The Wolverine
    Kick-Ass 2
    Thor 2
    Olympus Has Fallen
    Iron Man 3

Meh:
    World War Z
    Oblivion
    White House Down

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

Fixed. And yes, it was. Also the only movie I saw in a theater this year.

And I'm really pissed Enough Said is apparently not coming to Austria at all.

25. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I'm trying to remember what I actually saw. Fruitvale Station and Gravity were both good. I did see Annie Hall in a movie theater, but that doesn't count I guess.

The Place Beyond The Pines and The Great Gatsby were both ok.