main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What do you LIKE about the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 17, 2013.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Yep. It's one of the aspects I love most about the PT. Anakin doesn't turn out of love, but out of fear of loss. It also explains why he attacks Padmé on Mustafar because he fears he's lost her to the Jedi. Which is why when he saves Luke in ROTJ, it's such a beautiful moment -- he must realize that by stopping Palpatine, he himself will die and he'll lose Luke anyway. But he does so regardless.

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    He discovers what love actually is. Powerful indeed.

3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    What do you LIKE about the prequels

Some of the action. Kamino, most of RotS, definitely the music overall. That's about it.

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I find it more emotionally complex than the OT, which is the stuff that "happily ever after" types really swoon over.

5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The villains, Jango Fett, General Grievous, Darth Maul, Sidious & Vader. Love them all!
    And also the bad ass lightsaber battles, especially the one with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon against Darth Maul and Yoda Vs. Sidious in ROTS.

6. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Things I liked:

1. Beautiful sci-fi landscapes that were truly inspired. IMO the art is more inspired than Avatar. Gungans especially.

2. There were some good camera techniques and artistry with the Maul final fight

3. It was really ambitious. Basically, it charted the downward spiral of a promising young man. Not many stories tell this.

However, it didn't quite fit in very well together. Lucas tried to do too much all by himself instead of delegating the script writing while serving as the big ideas guy (which he's pretty good at).

I really think that the problem started with Empire Strikes Back. ESB had a lot of cool moments that were interesting twists in the context of the movie, but kind of fell apart in the long-run and the next four movies.

7. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Anidala(don't judge me)
    Jango Fett <3
    Darth Maul
    Generally getting a glimpse of the world pre-Galactic Empire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The story in the PT may be more emotionally complex but they way emotion was expressed was often laughable. So many of the emotional scenes were delivered awkwardly, without passion or realism & in a wooden fashion. As a contrast look at the scene at the end of ANH where Luke & Han land back at the base after destroying the Death Star & they meet in the hangar & celebrate with Leia. The genuine joy & elation expressed by the 3 lead actors was great. It looks real & as a viewer you believe these people are now great friends & care about each other. There are very few scenes, if any that come close to that kind of genuine emotion in the prequels IMO.

9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    This is a "what do you LIKE about the Prequels" thread, not a "let's rehash incorrect statements about so-called wooden acting in the Prequels" thread.

10. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Ok boss. It's also a discussion thread. I was responding to a comment by someone else who made a comparison to the OT.

What was my "incorrect statement"? How can it be incorrect to have an opinion? It's also a very widely held opinion, so I guess there are alot of "incorrect" people out there.

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Started a new thread for this kind of stuff: SAGA POSTERS THREAD

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I want JJA, Disney, et al... to look at this poster every single day until SW#Seven comes out.

14. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    What do I LIKE about the prequels?

Obi-Wan, Darth Tyranus, Darth Sidious, two thirds of Padme, and the Master Yoda vs. Darth Sidious duel of the fates.

15. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Characters: Obi Wan was great, my favorite character from the prequels.
    Palpatine was a positive point to the prequels too, and so was Qui Gon.

Planets: Coruscant, Felucia, Mustafar and Kashyyyk.

Scenes: The Geonosis Arena scene was terrific, just like the fight in Kamino against Jango.
    Ep. III Opening, seeing lots of Wookiees fighting (but that scene should have lasted longer), Order 66, Anakin vs. Obi Wan and Yoda vs. Palpatine.

Musics: Duel of the Fates, Anakin vs. Obi Wan, A new Hope and end credits.

That's it from the top of my head.

Barbecue17 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    So sometimes I'm kind of harsh on the prequels, but one time I did a list of 100 things I liked about each of them so I don't think I'm a hater at all. Heck I have prequel themed Star Wars ornaments on my Christmas tree. Anyways, 10 things I really like about the prequels:

1. The locales- GL truly showed us some locations that were exotic, alien, and couldn't have been done in the original trilogy as effectively.

2. The Jedi order- Seeing the Jedi sitting around discussing things, going on special misssions, and just functioining as a normal (although highly respected) part of regular society was something that always captivated me.

3. The Soundtrack- beautiful, stirring, and an excellent outgrowth of the original films.

4. Lightsaber battles- These were the battles I always wanted to see. I still love the Luke/Vader fights in the OT but the PT gave us Jedi's fighting in their prime.

5. Background characters- While they can be hit or miss, it's cool to see how much attention was given to background characters. Lots of options for cool toys, EU stories, and more.

6. Obi-Wan- Ewan McGregor just nailed Obi-Wan. By EpIII, I feel like he was truly channeling Alec Guinness.

7. Qui-Gon Jinn- Liam Neeson was such a perfect Jedi Master to introduce us into this new era of Star Wars.

8. Neimoidians- I love the Neimoidians. Sorry, no real explanation for this.

9. The Sith/ Villain designs- Darth Maul, Count Dooku, and Grievous all looked awesome. Great character design.

10. The Costumes- Brilliant costuming. Every frame of each film is beautiful and usually filled with elaborate costumes.

FRAGWAGON, Samnz and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  17. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Which two thirds of Padme do you like? :cool:

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That the Tusken Raiders returned in TPM to have a bit of fun.

19. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    1. The execution and portrayal of Palpatine's plots and schemes, how he was behind the whole war, how he set everything up to take over. That was done absolutely flawlessly. (If they could have portrayed Anakin's fall with the same caliber, the Prequels would be absolutely legendary. Possibly even more-so than the originals. Alas, they faltered on that part.)

2. John Williams. Nuff said.

3. The acting performance of Ian McDiarmid, Ewan McGregor, Liam Neeson, Anthony Daniels, Frank Oz, and Sam Jackson.

4. The many worlds that were explored. So varied and creative: Naboo, Geonosis, Coruscant, Kamino, Utapau, Kashyyyk, Felucia, Alderaan, etc. Also the many new sentient and non-sentient species that came with those worlds. Even the Gungans were cool. (If only they reduced Jar Jar's screen-time by about 90%, he wouldn't have been such an issue...)

5. Certain aspects of the visuals. I didn't have a problem with a lot of the CGI and thought much of it was actually very well done. (Honestly I thought the color levels were the real issue. Everything was so oversaturated... if they just desaturated and added contrast, the CGI could have looked really in-your-face, but that's not the art-direction they went with. Alas.)

6. Certain aspects of action sequences. The lightsaber fights were quite epic, for instance. (I do wish that they toned some of them down a bit, specifically the final Mustafar battle... they dragged that thing out for way too long, and went totally overkill on it, which, ironically, makes it feel a little bit anti-climactic.) Space and ground battles looked amazing as well.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013

THIS, so much this :D

21. Critic

Critic Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2013
    Everything including the fact that they are the last true star wars films

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  22. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    To paraphrase Luke, "No they're not, what kind of talk is that?"

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Welcome to the boards, Critic!

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  24. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I actually like most of the dialogue between Anakin & Padme; it seems many condemn that because (1) they don't understand Lucas' original intent with it, or (2) they're cynical, and don't truly believe love could be so powerful. Even at the end on Mustafar, I truly believed she loved him with everything she was...but his greed and fear drove her away.

I also like Jar Jar, and can do a decent vocal impression as well. He was more stupid in the Senate during "Attack of the Clones" than all of his "Phantom Menace" screen time combined.

John Williams is a genius, and my favorite piece he wrote for the PT is "Across the Stars". "Duel of the Fates" is great too, but "Battle of the Heroes" seemed less original.

25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's a never ending source of amazement for me, how many and varied the opinions are of this movie. People really do come to this movie 'with what they bring with them', to paraphrase Yoda.

Darth Zannah and Andy Wylde like this.