main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Crusader Kings II/III

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 3, 2012.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    W00t SOA is live!

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've been reading the let's play. Couple of hundred years in and still only page 15 of 30. Intimidating, though it's certainly more helpful than the tutorial.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Just started as the count of Dyfed in the 867 start.

DAMN, if that "your liege can revoke their capital county free of charge" rule isn't irritating. I fought a seven year war to hold on to Dyfed, then declared independence before his successor could do the same. (Winning both times because I had the foresight to wed the eldest daughter of Rhodri the Great, and thus had a powerful and, more importantly LOCAL, ally).

Following the independance war, I swore fealty to my father-in-law and thought I'd be safe... only to for Norse Skotland to decide they wanted Dyfed.

Dammit.

And then I got a game over. :_|

Point Given likes this.
  4. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    So, my daughter on my Gotland game was a demonspawn. I married her off to a Rurikid, who managed to give her 4 sons before he mysteriously "became incapable" and "died bedridden", allowing her to assume the regency.

If I wasn't a republic, I would have found a way to play as her. Because if the AAR someone posted on the Pdox forums about such things is any indication, demonspawn are AWESOME.

5. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    What are demonspawn?

6. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Basically, your wife mated with whatever devil your religion despises. The kid is possessed, has the modifier "suspected demonspawn", gets all sorts of crazy events, and upon reaching maturity has all of the deadly sins, is homosexual, an impaler, and a few others. They can simultaneously get the Voice of Jesus trait. Should the kid inherit and you play as them, you get even more fun events- various witches spawn in your court, regular event messages take on more demonic twists... there was an AAR about it today on the Paradox forums, in fact. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Unholy-nightmare-Why-this-is-the-best-DLC-yet

Point Given likes this.
  7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    That is incredible.

8. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh, and she killed one of her sisters with a lethal nightmare.

9. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    So, looking into buying the game again, and I'm having some slight issues, and so have what is most likely a really stupid question to ask.

Can a Region 1 hard copy of this game be purchased?

No, seriously. I know it's just really unlikely that a Region 1 version wouldn't be released, but I haven't been able to find one so far. I absolutely hate buying downloaded games; I always prefer to get hard copies because of the increased security/shelf-life, especially since my computer can have problems at times. And the only hard copies I've been able to find online (e.g. Amazon and so on) only have people shipping from Region 2 areas. While this isn't a sure bet that they're Region 2 copies, it does seem likely, and I can't see if it's otherwise. I can't find the game in any stores either.

So if someone could help me track down a copy of this game that is definitely Region 1, or at least confirm that there isn't one so I can suck it up and buy a download, then I'd be much obliged.

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It's on PC. There aren't regions.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I know I've read that PC software is region locked. I even double-checked yesterday before posting before.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Only in very, very special cases like language locks (which you get around) or if you need to unlock it online. CK though certainly is not one of those. :)

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    When I get my computer fixed, I'd like to play some CSII; much as I love what I've played of the game, it really isn't a good one to play if you can't sink many hours into it. I'm looking into some of the expansions, and am curious what some fans find so infuriating about Sunset Invasion. Is it simply because it uses an alternate history premise, or is there something deeper?

Also, as someone who doesn't have as much time to play as I'd like, I was wondering if you guys could throw out some fun characters to try, considering how many the game has. I'm particularly drawn to interesting random events (I want to have a demonspawn! :p)

14. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009

Sunset Invasion can be annoying when the Aztecs zerg rush you with upwards of 150k men.

Fun starts: well, I recently ran a Republic of Gotland game from 1066 to 1453, which was interesting. There's always the Karling challenge- take the one remaining Karling in 1066 and restore his family to glory (there's a similar challenge with the last Reman on the Elder Kings mod). If you want a big challenge, start as Shah Vandad of the Karen Satrapy in 867- the last Zoroastrian, I believe. There's also the 1066 start as Svend II of Denmark- he has a claim to the throne of England, and you can even get an achievement out of it if you successfully press his claim while on Ironman mode.

15. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    That's an interesting amount of Papal suitability in my sole cardinal...

[​IMG]

[face_devil]

(Note: the above screenshot was taken during the EPIC THIRTEEN YEAR JIHAD FOR JERUSALEM. Which we eventually lost after many a back-and-forth because the rest of Christendom didn't give a crap and seemed to think my allied dynasty kingdoms alone were going to swing it.

Though I managed to get 1200 gold via two petitions to the Pope, which was nice)

In other news, my dynasty is set to take over not one, not two, but THREE Holy Orders when the current grand masters shuffle off this mortal coil. Given you get a +2.00 to prestige for every Holy Order controlled that's going to be pretty darn nice.

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Well, this was a pain.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Considering their late father, HIM Aubrey the Great, was responsible for granting Duke Erlend his fief in the first place, it strikes me as a little ungrateful.

17. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Kill the bastard! Revenge!:p

And I still haven't gotten CKII. I eventually decvided I didn't mind getting games off of Steam once I found out you could put them on multiple computers, but I held off buying it during the sale last week because I decided I wanted another game just a little bit more.

That game was EUIV.:p I decided I wanted to play more as a nation than as a character and not have to worry about all of the backstabbing, at least for my first Paradox game. I also admit that the control freak in me doesn't terribly like the idea of being forced (or at least strongly advised for practicality's sake) to have vassals; I'd rather just assimilate everything like I can do in EUIV. I have all of the current EUIV DLC and will be playing it for awhile. CKII is still very high on my list and I probably will get it at the next sale at the latest, provided I can swing it. At some point I want all four of the latest games in their main franchises to make a mega campaign with conversions.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005

MrZAP and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  19. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    :p

Honestly, I did think about it for a good while. Aside from those things I've got a lot of games in the CKII time period already, and I want more variety. I also liked the larger scale of EUIV. And I'm just not a huge fan of having to fight your brother/son/nephew/cousin/mother. The most appealing aspect of CKII is the character customization, but that's not enough to offset the other things. I did thoroughly enjoy the 10+ hours of demo I played, but EUIV just seems... well, more like my kind of game. So I got it first.

Points for the Scrubs reference though.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Vanilla CKII is nigh unplayable. If you played the demo, that's even worse. CKII+ makes it a much better game, and the base game is 75% off on Steam today.

21. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I already noticed. Buying the bundle and Old Gods tomorrow.

But my point is that 1. I actually had a lot of fun uniting Bohemia in the demo, so that wasn't an issue and 2. as fun as that was, family intrigue doesn't seem as fun as conquering the world. I don't need a dynasty. I just need a nation. But I'll still take both.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll like Victoria II more than all of the others, due to the setting, but that game is just a tad more daunting than I'd like to start with.

22. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    And like I said; it's now mine. Or it will be once I finish downloading. I have everything but some of the unit packs and Sons of Abraham, all to be purchased at a later date. Still going to be playing more EUIV to start, though. Ireland can wait until I've tried some England or Castile over there.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The differences aren't just in eras. Victoria II is far, far more difficult to figure out than CKII or EUIV. And none of them have the same game mechanics as the others. EUIV was released after CKII, but it's quite different.

24. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    I know. I'm not going to be touching Victoria until I've got a decent amount of experience with the other two, and maybe HoI as well. CKII and EUIV are probably the most complex games I've ever played as it is. When I was playing the CKII demo I was able to do reasonably well, but despite that I still didn't understand a whole lot of the game (technology especially was completely incomprehensible to me; I had no idea what I was supposed to do at all).

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It also slows it to a crawl much sooner, making it equally unplayable.