main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    The Xim quote is great, but it's not mine -- it's Daley's from LOST LEGACY. Well, really it's Daley's homage to Shelley, but anyway.

2. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The whole article reads like a BBC travel documentary. Kudos!!

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah the Ozymandian feel is exactly what I enjoy about it. Didn't know it was a Daley thing though -- even more reason to keep going through them.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Awesome piece!

...For some reason, when reading that description of the Croke poet, I couldn't help but think of Jello. :p

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...what's that's supposed to mean? I'm no fan of glassed planets and devastation. What do you think I am, a Fandalorian? :p

Valin__Kenobi and MercenaryAce like this.
  6. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    X-wing Alliance does have a very long list of unseen characters whose names could end up at Endor. Dozens of characters there, compared to only a handful in X-wing and TIE Fighter.

7. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    I had a Mon Mothma quote from the Truce at Bakura SB in my Nagai article. Someone said they liked the quote, so I had to tell him it wasn't mine. :)

8. JMM

Jul 9, 1998
    Oh, and there's a couple of Mon Calamari officers in there that could be Nammo. :)

9. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ho. Lee. Crap.

That article was amazing. Just amazing. Very well-written and interesting, even to an EU buff. So much goodness in there: Warlord being an official Imperial title that Zsinj popularized after Endor, confirmation that the Pestage at Byss was a clone, The Pentastar Alignment and the DarkStryder campaign... Abel and Dan. Holy crap.

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    STUNNING! I need to read again when I get home from work, but that is chalk full of EU goodness. Great to see our old friend Dan Wallace return as well!

--Adm. Nick

12. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    awesome stuff, some epic battles, great historical tidbits, and loved the mention of some Venator vs. Victory action, keep it coming Star Wars blog

13. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    =D= Excellent as I expected. Is it too much to hope that Part 2 will include at least a mention of Moff Delurin, the Warlord of Wild Space? [face_praying]

14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    My mistake --- it looks like the Pestage killed on Ciutric was the clone. One has to wonder how much of Mandatory Retirement featured the real Pestage --- was it him right up until the end, when he fled and had his clone go meet Krennel? One of life's great mysteries!

15. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    So, He-Who-Screams-When-Bitten-By-Large-Selonians came to serve Kaine, Pasiq served Zsinj, Gwellib Ap-Llewff, Welshest of inquisitors, served the reborn Emperor, and Tremayne joined Hethrir (although I'm not sure who, if anyone, he publicly served in this time - the Empire proper?). An interesting dispersal for Vader's first class.

My assumption has been that the substitution occured on the yacht - the clone went across to Tavira's ship, the original remained hidden aboard.

16. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I remember Jason mentioned that Kogge went to all the trouble of writing up a new verse of the Despotica, only to have it cute from the final version, so I'm absolutely thrilled that it managed to get released in some format - both for Kogge himself, as well as the fans who finally get to read it. And I'm glad Dan is getting his cut content published as well. If memory serves, that means we'll get to hear about the Waymancy Storm very soon?

As for the Warlord article, I absolutely love it. So much so, that I'm going to subject you all to my thoughts on it.

- Is it weird that I'm so used to seeing Abel and Rich writing together that I start to worry something's wrong when they don't? :p Not that I'm complaining, because I always look forward to anything written by either of them, plus it's great to see Dan in on this one!

- I actually have a friend named Marissa, whose favourite period is the post-Endor warlord era, so seeing an article on Warlords carrying a "spacey" version of new name has absolutely made her day. Kudos for inadvertantly making me her the happiest fangirl in existence!

- An interesting expansion on what "Warlord of the Empire" actually means, and why the breakaways adopted the title despite it being an official Imperial honorific. I'm also pleasantly surprised to see General Pashna Starkiller on the list of people given the title under the Empire.

- Extra browney points for reviving the phrase "Omnipotent Battle Leader", which, if memory serves, first appeared in Darksaber as one of the random titles one of the Deep Core warlords bestowed upon themselves.

- I'm consistently amazed by the ability of the Blog to introduce new canon in image captions. While we weren't treated to any hilarious puns like in Barely Tolerable, the article more than made up for it with information on what happened to the Raptors after the death of Zsinj, a neat Celestials and Whills reference, further confirmation that the Pestage killed by Krennel was a clone, and both Jerec and Halmere serving as the InQuestor version of the Grand Inquisitor!

- Speaking of image captions, which Star Destroyer is the Oriflamme? I only ask because Wookieepedia probably won't give it an image until they're absolutely certain which Star Destroyer in the shot it is. :p

- At first I thought the final words of big bad Zsinj were funny, but the more I re-read this article, the more poignant they become...

- While I'm glad that the article didn't implicitly state that Sarne turned the tide of so many battles because of DarkStryder technology, since it apparantly doesn't work outside the Kathol sector, that does make me curious as to how he did it. Was the DarkStryder tech intended to be the reason or was he just a good tactician?

- Expanded information on the death of Kaine. I can't help but wonder if Grand Admiral Grant actually helped the New Republic out during Operation Shadow Hand, or if NRI just impersonated him to lure Kaine out.

All in all, an amazing article! I can't wait for the next installment. Ennix Devian gets a lot of mentions, which leads me to believe that he'll show up in future installments. I never particularly cared for him as a character, so I can't wait for some new information and references that might make him a bit more appealing to fans disappointed by CE3. Hopefully some more Nom Anor references, perhaps? Great job, Abel and Dan. You've outdone yourselves once again!

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My thoughts ensue, as this is my favorite topic. Sadly, I am a little disappointed with some of this stuff -- but this often tends to happen when it comes to the Empire. I'm picky.

-- We've known that Warlord of the Empire is a legit title since the Thrawn books, but so far we've only seen Thrawn as the only holder. I am a little disappointed that Zsinj is not only official, but the first holder of the title: his theatrical presumption by wearing the white uniform is a little diminished by this title, which isn't necessarily held by even grand admirals. I do like that it is Atrisian, though, so that balances it out.

-- Also not a fan of the idea that Zsinj always claimed to be loyal to the Empire. That's patently against the evidence -- not only do we know that Zsinj point blank refused orders from Ars Dangor and the Emperor's Ruling Circle on Coruscant, but he went warlord (in the traitorous sense) immediately thereafter. Moreover, his scenes in the Allston X-wing books clearly indicate that he sees himself as completely separate from the Empire as well: he is knowingly defying the Ruling Circle which resumed control after Isard's death, and he is fighting against them. Pretty much every prior source goes along those lines -- with the sole exception of CoPL, which presents him as a generic Imperial leader of some sort.

-- I do like Maarisa Zsinj, though I am really disappointed that this article went "the Empire is sexist" route -- there's enough evidence -- particularly from WEG and now FFG -- that Daala was just full of it, and she was our best source for all that. The sexism really never made any IU sense except for another box to tick off in making the Empire a caricature of nasty stereotypes, and so I'm rather unhappy with this one. Imperial sexism just doesn't make much sense IU, and the circumstantial stuff cuts against it -- even as early as DFR, Mara Jade could not have successfully pretended to be an unhelmeted female TIE pilot if such a thing were so unusual.

-- Baron is a starfighter honorific? Really now? It's a title of peerage -- The Making of Baron Fel even shows that it's a title of nobility as Soontir Fel is granted an estate on Corellia to go with his baroncy. I'm going to say this is kind of silly: just because we've only seen it on a pilot (a reference to the red baron, an actual baron) doesn't mean that it ought to be just a starfighter honorific. Letters patent often award peerages to commoners who win great victories for their sovereigns -- Napoleon was quite fond of it, but the more traditional European monarchies did this as well. Making it a merely starfighter-related title is myopic, especially as there are other barons in Star Wars.

-- Omnipotent Battle Leader is a good namedrop from the absurd titles that KJA introduced for the warlords, but seeing His Imperial Majesty use it? I'm not a fan. The whole point is that the title sounds dumb and is totally unwarranted -- why would the hidden Emperor use it, or any title? He's supposed to be behind the scenes, orchestrating things through Dangor perhaps but otherwise staying out of it until the Imperial Mutiny, and then showing up after everyone at the party is all wasted and hungover and saying "sup?" Then he takes charge, and none of the dead / exhausted "vipers" can do anything about it.

-- Yay Screed. We know that he went warlord and we know that Zsinj killed him, so this works.

-- Haven't read the Darkstrider Campaign, so I've got nothing to say for that bit. Sadface.

-- Boy, Krennel pissed off both Tigellinus and Thrawn? That takes some doing. I'm always unsure whether I have distaste for Tigellinus or whether his membership in the Order of the Canted Circle and status as a courtier makes him one of the Imperials I like, but I do appreciate that he rejected Krennel's barbarism.

-- I don't think that the "apparently murders" line clears up the Pestage clone business either way -- it may lean towards suggesting that the Byss Pestage is the real deal (the version that's probably more likely anyway) but I don't know how clear it is. Abel, Dan -- intentional or not?

-- so Kaine is a Bastion native, eh? Interesting. I find it appropriate that the planet is known for its bigotry -- the Imperial Remnant is awful, folks, you heard it here first.

-- That's right! Oversector Outer sucks. Core Worlds or bust.

-- Ah, Oriflamme. Given these articles are vetted and such, does that make the ship's name finally canon? I recall Magic Dragon was name dropped earlier too, along with Eleemosynary and possibly Avatar -- which ones from "Pocketses" are still left to be canonized? Not that it matters overly, I think everyone basically treats them as canon-except-in-name but still.

-- Shoved aside during Thrawn's campaign? I'm sure blue boy would've accepted an SSD if you'd have offered, Kaine. :p

darthscott3457 and Havac like this.
  18. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Sarne! Oh Yes! So need to read this once I am back from work. :D

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Iron_lord and Halagad_Ventor like this.
  20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I really enjoyed the Kaine stuff, and the additions to Grant's story at the same time.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, making the simple noble title of baron some kind of "starfighter honorific" makes no sense and causes more problems than it solves if really considered. Especially since there was never a problem to solve to begin with.

Buuuuut, other than that, oh my god so cool. Loved the collection of warlord names, loved the name-checks of the Outland Regions Security Force and Prefsbelt IV. Zsinj's background is maybe a little colorful, but hell, he's a grandiose guy. Jello: I don't read that as saying that Zsinj always claimed loyalty or saw himself as part of the Empire -- just that he initially ("In the immediate upheaval following the Battle of Endor") maintained the public fiction of loyalty while making his moves toward warlordism. He maintained nominal loyalty until there was nothing the Empire could do about it.

Zsinj's final words are great. There's a lot of subtext packed into one word.

Interesting bit distinguishing the "supernals of Mortis" from the Celestials in that image caption.

I like seeing Tigellinus exiling Krennel; it's nice to have some high-level Imperials actively disapproving of excessive butchery. Nice to get a little more clarification pointing at dead-Pestage being the clone. The retcon of Krennel pushing out Drommel is interesting -- Drommel was defeated by the New Republic and then killed by a subordinate, so it suggests that Krennel was pushing Drommel on another front, chopping him down while the NR dealt the final blow. Some nice complexity there.

Not sure about making Bastion a humanist hotbed, given its future as the capital of the alien-friendly Pellaeon Remnant and Fel Empire. Iridium pirates! I'd have loved a bit more specificity on Kaine's role in the Republic, but I love the idea of Kaine sort of shaping himself in the mold of his father and getting driven to extremism by grief over his death. It's a nice touch that Oversector Outer, for all the importance of its size, doesn't carry with it a great deal of influence; Tarkin made the position, and Kaine doesn't get that stature just by succeeding him in title. Love the clarification of Jerec's role and the Halmere reference. Interesting that he's described as "schismatic," too -- I'd love to see that followed up on someday. I loved the addition of psychological complexity to Kaine, and his death -- and the implication of deep personal friendship with Grant taken advantage of with some rather tragic undertones -- was nice to have clarified.

Also, not sure where that DE art is from, but I am endlessly amused to see that Luke one-upped Cade by stealing not only Vader's pants, but also his codpiece. Perhaps that family heirloom was left behind in the rush off Ossus.

This article delivered. All the articles have been neat so far, but when you get to see the masters at work like this, it's always extra-special. Can't wait for part two.

22. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Sarne! DarkStryder! Finally! I was disappointed when he wasn't included in the Atlas run down of warlord states, but this makes up for it!

If I remember correctly, the DarkStryder technology wasn't confined to the Kathol sector, but became less powerful the further away it was until it stopped working. So the Minos Cluster, being close to the Kathol sector, would have allowed it to be used. I think WEG stated they did this for game balance, so DarkStryder tech couldn't be employed on, say, Coruscant to unbalance a campaign.

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    You were saying? :p

darthscott3457 likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    New topic is very interesting.

Concerning "which Pestage is the clone" I wondered if it works the same way as it did in Darksaber for Lemelisk- Pestage took the same precautions as Palpatine did with Lemelisk- and thus, his essence was transferred into his clone when he was killed by Krennel.

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Ever since I read Darksaber as a young kid, I have loved the title Omnipotent Battle Leader. So ridiculous that it is awesome.

Also- I love that the article used Gial Ackbar, not just Ackbar. Good to see his first name getting continued use!

--Adm. Nick

Halagad_Ventor and Iron_lord like this.