main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Fallen - Obi-Wan *Updated 5/8/16 New Post!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by serendipityaey, Nov 12, 2013.

1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Hello! I've missed you all [:D] So here I am... I've decided to repost this, since it's been quite awhile and the original post has not been 'fixed' with all the code errors. I've also edited since I originally posted years ago, (and would like to edit some more) so it will be a little better, hopefully. I also have a bit of new content I will slip in as well as a bonus ;)

Please enjoy!
    _____________________________________________________________________________​
    Title: Fallen
    Author: Ashley
    Time frame: prequel trilogy
    Pairings: Obi-Wan/OC
    Genre: Drama/Romance
    Summary: Maybe it's not the happy ending that matters, maybe it's the moments in between. Obi-Wan Kenobi is one of the most important men in the galaxy; Aala Naberrie has always been in the background. As darkness descends around them, two people who never expected to have love, have to decide if it's something worth holding out for. Can love survive even as everything else falls?
    Rating: T
    Disclaimer: Star Wars was the property of George Lucas, is now the property of Disney. This story is for entertainment purposes only. No infringement of rights is intended and I make no money.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Aala Naberrie sat alone on the Sundered Heart, her gaze fixed out the viewport. Beyond the dusty surface of Polis Massa, space was dark, and bleak, but she found it suited her mood.

With a soft hiss, the door behind her slid open, and she knew it was Obi-Wan though he made no other sound. Broken from her thoughts by his arrival, she suddenly wondered how long she had been sitting there; hours maybe and she should've expected he would be there to check on her at some point. But she couldn't bear to turn around only to see that stoic expression she knew was on his face.

"You don't have to be strong for me." Her voice was even, steady, but she wanted to scream, to yell at him – she had seen the pain in his eyes; she knew what he was feeling, could feel it in her own broken heart – why wouldn't he let it out?

"I could say the same to you."

Behind his ever cultured accent, Aala could just barely detect the weariness.

"Oh, yes," she said. "That breakdown I had in your arms a few hours ago - that was all a show of strength. For you." Though she wanted to roll her eyes at him, she still couldn't face him, so she resisted.

"And now?" His voice was soft, so low, but urging somehow. Patiently coaxing her to understand.

After a long, silent moment she finally turned and stared at him, held his gaze as long as she could, then looked away, sighing. "I feel numb." And she knew he had made her answer her own unspoken question. Wrapping her arms tightly around herself, she turned back to the viewport, preferring to face the desolation of outer space. Right now it seemed a warmer companion than Obi-Wan.

A second later she heard the door slide closed. Fine. Let him go. In the back of her mind, she knew he hadn't offered any more support because he knew she wouldn't have accepted it, anyway. That only made her angrier.

She hated him for always being right, for always being so calm and in control.

She hated Padmé for giving in to her heart, letting herself fall so far.

And most of all she hated Anakin for what he had let himself become, for everything he had done.

Aala didn't believe in regret – or at least she hadn't before she saw her sister's lifeless body lying on that cold table in that cold room. Now, it consumed her, harsh and unforgiving. Suddenly, she regretted every single decision she had ever made, every step that had led her to this point in time, and she was desperate to get back to that place, so recently found, where she could accept what life had given her, accept the path she had taken.

But she couldn't find even the tiniest shred of hope anywhere inside her.

Inevitably, her mind drifted back to Obi-Wan Kenobi. The hero, The Negotiator, the Jedi Master that could accomplish anything, and did. He had joked good-naturedly whenever anyone mentioned his hero status, modest to a fault, but still he played each role.

The war had changed him, it had changed everyone. And now he'd lost as much as anyone.

War will leave you with nothing, whether you win or not.

Shaking the thought, Aala let herself dwell on the last time she had talked to Obi-Wan before everything went to hell. It was the first time she'd even spoken to him in a month. She hadn't seen him since Cato Neimoidia.

Her mind was absorbed with doubt. Maybe if she'd said something different, been able to put into words what her instincts had been telling her... Maybe she could've convinced him to stay.

Backing further into the shadows of the great halls of the Senate buildings, she gripped her comlink tightly in her hand and leaned back, letting the marble wall hold her up. "It's a trap," she said grimly, "you know that."

Of course he knew.

"Textbook..." she trailed off.

"Yes." His voice crackled slightly over the comm.

'How did I even get to this point?' she asked herself. 'How does a quiet girl from Naboo get to know military strategies so intimately?' "I – I wish you wouldn't go." She said it quietly, unaccustomed to voicing such statements directed toward him.

"Don't worry. I have a little trap of my own."

He always did.

"Anyway, I hear Utapau is nice this time of year; and I'll be back soon," he said, trying to sound light hearted.

She smiled in spite of herself. "I hope so."

"You'll miss me that much?" He teased.

She couldn't help but smile again and shook her head. Who else could be on his way to meet the 'Jedi Killer' face to face and act like it was just a stroll in the park? "I won't miss you a bit, Kenobi. I just – I feel like you're needed here."

"Well, it's a shame there aren't two of me."

Indeed.

She had trouble adopting his light attitude, or, at least, the act. He would not have called her unless it was imperative. He certainly didn't need to check in with her before he left for missions. Tired of the routine, she outright called his bluff. "You must feel it, too, Obi-Wan, or we wouldn't be talking."

There was a pause. When he spoke again, his voice was serious, grave, any and all lightness was gone. "Aala, this war will not end with General Grievous out there."

Annoyed, she sighed quietly and wondered if he really believed that line or if it was his orders talking. "With Dooku dead, the Confederacy won't hold together for long;" she argued, "he was their driving force. Grievous does not have the ability to direct the Separatists in galactic war."

"We must face the possibility there might be someone else..."

She knew that tone; he knew more, but couldn't say, not over a comm, and not to her; and she knew the rumors – unthinkable, but undeniable. Anyway, if it were true, it still made Grievous nearly irrelevant in her mind, a minor player in the game, but she knew Obi-Wan didn't have the time to debate war tactics with her. It was obvious he couldn't discuss it with her now. The decision had already been made.

"I know what you're thinking," he said, "but either way, Grievous needs to be taken care of. It will force the end game." He paused. "Everyone seems to think I'm the one to capture him, so, I'll do what I must."

She certainly couldn't argue with that. If anyone could do it, Obi-Wan could. And now she understood why he had contacted her; the end was near. She sighed quietly. "May the Force be with you General Kenobi."

And then the entire galaxy had come crashing down around them.

He found her unintentionally, an hour later in a dark room with a table and a galley, a cup of something, he could only assume something very strong, clutched in her hands. He paused when she noticed him, a grim expression on her face as she stared him down.

"Two minutes?" he asked, his tone conciliatory. She owed him at least that much.

Her mouth quirked as she looked back down at her cup and she nodded, the tiniest of smiles gracing her face. It didn't last.

"How's the caf?" he asked spotting the pot on the counter.

"Disgusting. I made it myself."

He poured himself some anyway and stood across from her, watching. She had never seemed able to cope very well with any situation concerning her sister. She had been to war, faced the Senate, faced the Council even, and seen the worst the galaxy had to offer all without blinking an eye but if her sister was involved...her careful control fell apart. She'd lost as many friends as he had, and moved on as gracefully as any Jedi, but her sister... this she was not able to bear.

"I never told you..." Aala started, breaking the heavy silence.

With the mug of caf warming his hands, Obi-Wan leaned against the counter and waited.

"Why I came to Coruscant...it wasn't just for work, I didn't care about being an ambassador."

He knew that wasn't true. She loved her job and she was good at it, but he didn't say anything.

"And it wasn't to see you," she looked up at him, that look of defiance he knew well. Was she trying to bait him? He kept quiet.

Her expression changed, softened. "I never expected to run into you..." She stared at him, lost in thought. Then turned, staring off into nothing.

"It was for her... I couldn't stop worrying about her after the blockade. I just wanted to be close if I could... I'd had nightmares for weeks. Really bad nightmares..." Aala paused and rubbed her temples, pressing her face into her hands.

"Please tell me this is a nightmare..."

He couldn't. So, he sat down across from her and grasped her hand in his, holding tight. "I wish I could."

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Ash! Never, ever in my wildest hopes did I think you'd repost this! [face_dancing] Woot! Will look forward to the re-read with extra stuff thrown in. [:D]

serendipityaey likes this.
  3. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Thank you very much! [face_love] I'm looking forward to going over it again as well. My Obi has been very quiet lately, I'd love to get him going again. I hope you enjoy, thanks for leaving a comment [:D]

I forgot to say before, also, If anyone is wondering about Miracle, I do have more to post, I'm just a little stuck on it at the moment, so it's temporarily delayed :( I will post more as soon as I figure it out if people want to see it

But for now, here is Chapter Two! Let me know what you think ~Ash

She knew the moment he walked into the room, but she didn't allow herself to look up. It scared her, just a little...to think that she was... connected to him. But she would never admit that out loud. So, she simply continued with her paperwork.

Politics were rarely what Aala considered 'exciting' but she felt like she had finally found something she was good at and she was eager to do well. Officially she was an Ambassador to Alderaan. Although she was born on Naboo, she had moved to Alderaan when she was 15 to study. In reality, her job consisted mostly of assisting the Vice Roy.

Though the Senator she was meeting with today wasn't known for his even temper, she wasn't expecting much trouble. He was there with assistants of his own, so a Jedi Knight had been commissioned as a mediator and a representative of the Republic.

When Obi-Wan took the seat next to her, and she felt his gaze on her, she finally gave in.

"Master Kenobi." She smiled, finally looking up.

"Ambassador Naberrie," he returned, nodding politely.

And that was it, although their eyes held the conversation a second longer. His faced showed no emotion, but she could see it all in his eyes...something she'd learned how to do very quickly. The memory of the night she had met him flashed briefly in her mind. It was on Naboo right after the attacks by the Trade Federation... right after his Master died, almost one year ago. She'd mistaken his dispassionate expression for actual coldness, hadn't seen the pain hidden deep in the blue-gray depths of his eyes, and she was still sorry for the way she had acted in return.

A gentle wind blew across the dark, grass covered hills of Naboo. The sound of water crashing on the rocks below Theed could be heard, but the dark night hid the waterfalls from easy view. She sat near the side of the cliff, between the hangar and the river. The wind tossed her long blonde hair into her face, but she made no effort to hold it back. She stared out at the star-filled sky before her, seemingly lost in thought.

He watched her quietly. Though he stood not far behind her, she seemed oblivious to his presence. Finding her had been easy enough, she was a beacon, but now he was loathe to disturb the peacefulness that surrounded her. Closing his eyes, he reached out with the Force and was immediately surprised at the awareness he sensed in her. Startled, he opened his eyes to find she had turned her head in his direction.

"Hello..."

He blinked. "Hello."

When he didn't say anything else, she turned fully to look at him, her eyebrows raised.

Maybe not so peaceful.

"Umm..." he cleared his throat. "The Queen sent me to find you. When you weren't in your room as she expected, she became concerned."

"Oh." Aala's tone was cynical. "I didn't think she even remembered I was here." Turning back to face the sky, she hugged her knees to her chest.

He was surprised by her openness. "Miss Naberrie, Queen Amidala has a responsibility to her people, she is merely doing her duty."

"And what about her family?" she challenged, turning to face him again. She set her jaw stubbornly and he could sense her frustration, her anger, her fear of almost losing someone so dear to her... someone who didn't understand...

...it was as if a mirror had been placed in front of him. He didn't know what to say.

"Nevermind." She sighed. "I wouldn't expect you to understand."

"What do you mean by that?" He knew what, it was a common enough perception, but he was curious if she would actually say it out loud.

"You're a Jedi. Naturally I would expect you to know more about duty than family." She crossed her arms tightly across her body, defiance in her eyes. He simply stared her down, refusing to be drawn into an argument.

She sighed deeply and glanced off into the darkness. "You can tell her I'm fine.

"I'd feel much better if you came back with me and told her yourself. It's not safe for you to be out here alone."

She rolled her eyes. "Master Kenobi, may I remind you I've done quite fine without you for nearly 21 years, and while I may not be a Jedi Knight, I'm certainly capable of taking care of myself."

"Miss Naberrie," he said firmly, "may I remind you, it was only a few days ago this planet was under attack and while I'm sure you do quite well under normal circumstances, outside the palace, unarmed on a dark night is simply asking for trouble." She was either very brave or simply very naive, but either way he wasn't going to leave her out there by herself.

Now, he knew it was both, watching her negotiate with a more than difficult opponent. Perhaps 'naive' wasn't the right word. She certainly wasn't ignorant about the state of affairs of the galaxy. It was more an optimism she held onto. And he liked that about her. She believed everything would turn out alright and she was brave enough to go out into the galaxy and do something to make sure she wasn't proven wrong.

Aala had come back with him that night, as he wished, and he hadn't been offended when she had snapped at him. Just reminded of how well he really did know what she was feeling. And that had unsettled him... just a little. And he'd been more than surprised, although he thought he hid it well, when she sought him out the next day to apologize. The first of many surprises from Aala Naberrie.

The second surprise had been when he fell for her. He hid that best of all.

Jedi were not allowed attachments. He didn't need to remind himself of that. It came as natural as breathing. Some might think that was cold, but he knew she understood that was who he was.

He watched her discuss politics and procedures with the authority of someone twice her age and experience. They came to an agreement far sooner then he would've expected.

Amused, he questioned her as to why he was even there.

"We have to pretend you Jedi are good for something," she said with a mischievous smile.

He chuckled. "We are a useless bunch, aren't we."

She laughed, gathering her papers and books, then turned more serious, holding them to her chest. "Perhaps it's just for peace of mind. I know you're not any good at politics." They shared a moment. "But, thank you."

"Of course. Can I walk you out?"

"Oh, that's alright.. My office is just a few floors down. I wouldn't want to hold you up."

"Alright."

She held his gaze, saying a million things with one look, things he knew he would never hear her say out loud. "I'll see you soon." She touched his arm and left, without looking back.

And the third surprise...

...the third surprise had been when she had let him go – every time she let him go without saying a word. The irony was, that only made him care for her that much more.

Of course, Aala wasn't so bad at hiding things herself.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Bravo on the undercurrents and the progression of feelings and the "surprises." :D Aala is just the kind of lady he should fall for. @};-

5. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Enjoying this so much!! =D=

serendipityaey and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    First off, thank-you so much for sending me the link to this. I would have missed it otherwise, and I am thrilled to tag along for this ride.

That said, the first thing that I have to say is that I absolutely love your writing. You have a soft and elegant style, with a great eye for just where to place the humor and the angst. Your stories are always refreshing to read. :)

And I love your Aala. She has a wonderful strong voice, and I like her connection to Padme. Already you have the bond of sisters down pat, and I am looking forward to learning more about her. And speaking of connections - her and Obi-wan. They already have a great 'feel' to them, both in the present and in your flashbacks. That said, the flashbacks are my favourite parts so far - I can't wait to learn more about their relationship, just as I am looking forward to them both being a bulwark for each other now that the worst has happened. :( Aala's pain and anger with Padme's death are perfectly described - it packs a wallop of a blow - and I am eager to read more. =D=

May you tag me when you update? [face_batting] I don't want to miss a thing. :D

Nyota's Heart and serendipityaey like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    YES, Mira_Jade is here, so two of my favoritest authors can reciprocally bask in one another's lyricalness. [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Nyota's Heart, Aww,you are too sweet for words, my friend! [:D]

I am just glad to be reading a Star Wars fic again - it has been way too long! And serendipityaey is the best place to start! :cool:[face_love]

9. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Awwww, my heart is shattering with joy [face_love]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  10. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nyota's Heart Aww, thank you so much! I really wanted there to be a slow building of feelings, layering and layering on top of each other throughout the years, and I certainly agree, I'm so glad you think so too. She has her faults, but she's selfless and loving, and she loves him [face_love] Thanks!!

Jade_Pilot Aw, I'm really happy! Thank you so much for giving it a shot and replying. It really means a lot. I hope you continue to enjoy :)

Mira_Jade Wow, thank you so much for the amazing comments! I really appreciate it so much! Many, many more layers to be revealed in Aala's relationship with her sister, and her always developing feelings for Obi-Wan, and her struggle to be what she wants to be, so much, for both of them, the two people she loves most. Padme's death is poor Aala's worst nightmare come true, but she has Obi, and he has her, and that's what this story is about. Many more events and characters to come before we get back there though!!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

And now.... NEW CONTENT!

I wrote this little piece for a challenge elsewhere, quite awhile ago, and am so happy to include it here now. There's a second 'part' to this, but it comes much, much later. This part fits best right here in Fallen, really hope you enjoy, sweet and fluffy ;) Thank you so much for reading!!

______________________________________________________________________​
    ~First Kisses~
    Naboo, 32 BBY

"Where were you last night?" Queen Amidala asked her sister. She was sitting in front of her mirror applying the traditional white makeup that hid her young face.

"I was just out," Aala shrugged. "Don't worry. Your Jedi rescued me from absolutely nothing." Aala attempted to keep the sharp tone of irritation from sounding clearly in her voice, determined not to argue despite her overwhelming weariness. The last thing Padmé needed right now was an ungracious sister. But Aala's nerves were frayed, she was exhausted and scared and anxious for this situation to be over.

"He's not my Jedi," Padmé said, glancing at her sister in the reflection of the glass. "I was worried. I didn't know where you were." Her regard was astute, her features composed.

Aala sighed, finally meeting Padmé's stare. She seemed so much older, especially when she was adorned as the Queen. Nothing like the little girl Aala had left behind. "I'm sorry. Just don't send him after me again. He was quite rude."

"Rude?" Padmé cocked her head as she shifted to look at Aala.

"Yeah."

"Hmm." Padmé turned back to the mirror. "He has been through a lot."

"Like what?" Aala was skeptical.

"Well, his Master was killed, and –"

"His Master?" she interrupted.

"Yes, he was only just knighted a Jedi. He was an apprentice to Qui-Gon Jinn."

"Oh..." Aala did not consider herself an expert on the Jedi Order by far, but she knew enough... What she had said – the look in his eye when she had implied he wouldn't know anything about losing someone close to him. "Oh." Her shoulders slumped.

Padmé turned around again, fixing her with a flinty stare. "What did you do?"

Aala sighed, no wonder he was terse. She had deserved every bit of it. "I just –" she shook her head and sighed again. "I owe someone an apology."

Aala headed off in search of Obi-Wan but she didn't really expect to find him. There were a great many places in the palace she wasn't allowed to go, and she assumed those were the most likely places for Obi-Wan to be.

Wandering, she took the time to admire the art in the halls, had dinner with her sister, then wandered some more, keeping an eye out for the Jedi. It wasn't very late into the evening before she decided to head to the gardens. Not daring to go outside again, and not wanting to cause Padmé more worry, the gardens were the next best thing and still within the safety of palace walls.

It was only a moment after she arrived, she spotted Obi-Wan sitting on a bench at the end of a path that led to a short, clear waterfall. His head was turned away from her, his eyes on the water as it danced over the slick rocks, and she made a conscious effort to be inconspicuous so she could watch him for a moment. They seemed destined to keep meeting this way, and she felt she could sense his sadness.

Taking a step toward him, she wondered how to get his attention without startling him just as he turned toward her.

"Hi," she said, trying to express a little friendliness.

"Hello." He stood up.

She came to stand in front of him but wasn't sure exactly what to say. "May I join you?"

"Of course," he answered quickly.

When he sat down next to her she took a deep breath, then turned to face him. He was watching her quietly.

"I –"

Apologizing wasn't easy for her, she felt she had a right to her feelings, but she knew she had taken her frustration out on him unfairly. "I wanted to apologize... for the way I acted last night. When I said you wouldn't understand... well, Padmé told me what happened and I..." she looked down at her hands then back into his eyes. "I'm really sorry."

Her breath hitched as she looked at him – he had the most engaging, piercing blue eyes, intense and soft all at the same time.

"It's alright," he said, his tone gracious. "I know, this has been hard on all the people of Naboo."

"No." Aala shook her head. "I was selfish and inconsiderate. You shouldn't let me off so easy."

The air was still as he seemed to scrutinize her for a moment, and she realized she was holding her breath. "I suppose you were quite difficult."

Blinking once, she was a bit surprised, but then she caught the glint of humor in his expression.

"Yes," she grinned. "I apologize."

He smiled back. "Apology accepted."

She nodded and they fell silent. The quiet was not awkward, but comforting and she let herself relax completely in the peaceful setting. He was sitting, with his eyes closed now, and she felt a sudden deep longing to know him. To connect with him, somehow.

"I really am very sorry about Master Jinn. I can't imagine..."

Obi-Wan nodded, a pained look crossing his face and then she was sorry she had brought it up again. Kriff.

"I just – if you want to talk to someone..." Aala closed her eyes as her sentence trailed off. How silly, he hardly even knows me, why would he want to talk to me? Be quiet, Aala, she said to herself, just be quiet.

But then he covered her hand with his own, and he waited until she met his sincere gaze. "Thank you."

Looking at him, she felt caught in an impossible moment, his thumb brushed across her knuckles and her breath caught in her throat. But as suddenly as it had started, the moment was over. He pulled his hand away and she felt ridiculous sitting there staring at him.

"I should get back," she said, wringing her hands together, but smiling "If we're both out here, my sister won't have anyone to send."

Obi-Wan stood with her, nodding politely, and then she turned and walked away.

"I found you.”

The smiling face of Aala Naberrie appeared suddenly from behind a little, yellow-flowered tree and though Obi-Wan had sensed she was near, still a flare of surprise coursed through him at the fact that they had stumbled upon each other so easily. The gardens that surrounded Theed Royal Palace were quiet as the day approached evening but the grounds were vast - and yet here they were. He had come across her path without even meaning too, and she had found him - again it seemed - effortlessly.

“Were you looking for me?” he asked, unable to keep his amusement from sounding in his voice. She was happy, much more so than what he’d seen in the three days he’d known her and though Obi-Wan still felt the sorrow of what had transpired on Naboo, he let her high spirits lift his own.

“Yes!” Aala grinned, taking a step toward him. “I mean, if you’re not - busy,” she added quickly.

A soft chuckle left him before he could stop himself, and he realized he had not laughed since...he couldn’t remember when. It felt nice. "I'm not busy.”

He had been meditating, but it seemed that was about all he’d done in the past few days and Obi-Wan found he did not mind the interruption in the least. When he’d sensed Aala nearby, he’d decided that perhaps he could use a break. He stood now, one hip canted, trying to look casual as he waited for her to explain why she’d been looking for him.

“Well, I - I wanted to go watch the sunset, actually. By the waterfall.”

For a moment she looked down, and he noticed she was twisting her hands together in an anxious sort of gesture, though he hadn’t noticed any nervousness in her expression. But when she looked up again, her cheeks were a little pink and she caught her lower lip between her teeth for a fraction of a second, before casting him a teasing smile.

“And I didn’t want to leave the palace without notifying you.”

“It’s not safe.” Obi-Wan raised one brow as he answered.

“Well, it’s not exactly a battle zone, either,” Aala retorted, and then he saw she was twisting her hands together again. “But I thought maybe...you could come with me? Sitting at the waterfall always makes me feel better. It might be nice for you...”

Obi-Wan paused for a moment, though he couldn’t think of any reason to say no to something that would obviously make her so happy. “I suppose.” He tried to make the words sound hesitant, but he knew she saw through him. “But just for a short time.”

“Thank you,” she smiled, her pale blue eyes lighting. “Come on, we should hurry, though. It’s almost sundown.”

Obi-Wan nodded, and Aala turned to lead the way but the image of the way that smile had lit her face and the effect that it had on him in turn, did not fade from his mind.

"And then she kissed me."

Aala laughed, tilting her head back as she did, and Obi-Wan could not help but smile as well.

"She said it was to thank me for saving her people but I had this unsettling sense that she might have had ulterior motives."

A warm, amused smile was shared between the two of them and then they fell quiet for a few minutes. Obi-Wan plucked a blade of grass from the ground where they were seated, and twirled it between his fingers before letting the wind catch it and carry it away. The sun had dipped below the horizon, casting the sky in shades of dusky pink and purple and the sound of the waterfall crashing to the water below was steady, soothing.

"Has anyone thanked you yet for - this?" Aala asked suddenly, mischievously.

As he met her gaze, he noted at once the glint of humor and he thought he had never quite enjoyed someone’s company as much as he was enjoying hers in this moment - no expectations, no pressures - just two people, spending time together.

“It was my duty,” he answered, his voice soft. “No thank you necessary.”

A light breeze lifted wisps of her blonde hair to flutter around her face for one moment before the loose strands settled again around her shoulders. “I insist.”

Leaning on one hand, Aala tilted her head toward him and for an instant his breath caught.

Her eyelids fluttered closed, but he found he could not do the same, he could not take his gaze off of her,and then she pressed a gentle kiss to his cheek. Pulling back, her expression softened as she regarded him. “For saving Naboo.”

And then she moved, leaning across his body to kiss his other cheek. “For saving my sister.”

When she pulled back again, she caught his steady gaze and Obi-Wan found himself lost trying to discern the exact color of her eyes and the nature of the emotion within them. But before he could, they had closed again and then he felt her lips, so soft, brush across the very corner of his mouth.

It lasted only a second and then she smiled - so close he could feel the heat radiating from her skin, and she settled back in her spot on the grass without saying a word.

After a minute, he couldn’t help himself and he asked, “What was that one for?”

“For me,” she answered softly.

“I didn’t save you.”

"Oh,” Aala gave a wry grin, “there's still plenty of time for that opportunity to arise, I assure you. I have a penchant for trouble.”

Obi-Wan laughed, returning her smile. “I shall keep an eye out then, my dear.”

It was teasing, nothing more than a silly jest, but Obi-Wan found he did not mind the thought of keeping his eye on Aala in the least.

_________________________________________________________________________________​

AN: Thanks for reading! It was a joy to finally get to imagine and write their ‘first kiss’ Woo!!

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy, happy sigh. Sweet fluffy and delightful like eclairs. [face_laugh] A gentle, yummy promise of things to come. :D

12. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Soooo... I realized last night that I actually have a vignette I wrote at the end of the original Fallen that takes place just before their first kiss, so I've now updated that post up there to include the vignette before the original chapter I posted. Enjoy! :)

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ash... just read the part/vig you inserted ... :D :D :D You can just feel the sincerity from both of them. :) And the candid and open way they want to treat each other. LOVING it!! [:D]

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ash, you know I don't miss writing at all as long as I have such lovely writings to read - and it's far less work to read than to write.

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    It was nice to have another scene where someone thought about Obi-Wan's feelings. It must have been hard for him to fulfil his duty no matter how strong the Jedi are supposed to be. After all they are human and have feelings. I loved that she kissed him for Naboo, for her sister and for her self. Sweet. But I would have kissed him several more times. now I'm drooling just thinking about it.
    Excellent update.=D=

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Excellent job with this! A perfect combination of angst and fluff. =D=

I loved this:

"No." Aala shook her head. "I was selfish and inconsiderate. You shouldn't let me off so easy."

The air was still as he seemed to scrutinize her for a moment, and she realized she was holding her breath. "I suppose you were quite difficult."

There is already such a tension between them, and this little line just had my heart skip. You are able to convey a wonderful thread of emotion when you write, and I found that I too was holding my breath here. =D=

And then I loved them getting to know each other more later - Obi-wan sharing anecdotes was just adorable, and her kiss! I had happy butterflies in my stomach reading that 'for Naboo, for her sister, and me.' Terribly clever writing there, I adored it. [face_love]

Once again, great job, and I can't wait for more! =D=

17. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nyota's Heart Thank you! So glad you liked this - it's a dark time for them both, but I don't think they would've become interested in each other without a moment like this to show them how they could make each other smile :)

Valairy Scot You are too, too kind! Lol, reading is so much more fun then writing. Sometimes ;) It means so much to me that you took the time to leave a comment! So happy you enjoyed it [face_love][face_love][face_love] Thank you!!

Gkilkenny Lol, thank you!! [:D] Believe me, she is thinking about kissing him a hundred more times, at least. I think it was important for them to have this moment, for Obi-Wan to let her make him smile. And she does honestly think about his feelings when she realizes what he's been through. He appreciates that ;)

Mira_Jade Thank you so much!! Balancing drama and fluff is very, very important to me, so I'm really glad you thought it was a good combination :D That will definitely, hopefully continue throughout the story. I really wanted their first kiss to be happy, even though it was a dark time for them... They are both positive people, and I don't think either would pursue any kind of relationship without that. I'm really, really happy you like it!! [:D] Thank you so much for the comments!

______________________________​
    AN: This is one of the chapters I'm particularly happy with, so I really hope you enjoy! Deep layers revealed, layers that really define the course of their relationship. Thanks for reading!

He watched her as he made their tea. The sun had already dipped below the skyline of the Senate District, and it was starting to get dark.

Aala stood on the balcony of her apartment, watching the traffic and the lights - and thinking...what? Obi-Wan wasn't sure.

A chance meeting – he saw her every once in awhile, had even worked with her a few times, but usually they were too busy to stop for even a moment – this time had been different. He only bumped into her at the Senate building that afternoon. That had led to a cup of caf, which had led to dinner later that evening, which led to him bringing her a cup of tea on her balcony... and... then what?

Handling the hot tea carefully, he stepped out into the cool night air. There was a breeze; it ruffled his hair, a little longer now than before. She thanked him and smiled as he handed her the extra cup. She sipped it and turned back toward the air lanes of Coruscant.

He wondered if she would ask him to stay. He was afraid she wouldn't. He was afraid she would get hurt if he did.

The thought truly hadn't entered his mind until they had walked into her apartment and she had shut and locked the door behind them. It was easy to recall the last time they had been this alone. They had been on Naboo; he had stayed to help oversee the restoration of order and take a reprieve himself after the vigor of the last few weeks and a day or two to grieve for the loss of his master. Turns out it was quite easy to loose yourself in that palace.

He told himself he had felt the need to keep an eye on her, but if he was being honest, he was drawn to her. Curious about her - her honesty, her recklessness, her eyes... and she had a knack for finding him. Though she had promised she wouldn't leave the palace again, one night she disappeared, without telling him, and twisted her ankle slipping on the rain slicked rocks on the way back. It took him too long to find her and she was not in good condition.

Later, in her room, with her ankle wrapped and her body beginning to warm again, she had asked him to stay. And he had. The kiss was unexpected. He couldn't remember who had moved first.

~​

"Stay," she whispered, her breath caressing his lips, her deep blue eyes searching his face.

"I – " How had they gotten this close? He could feel her heart pounding in her chest, could feel the heat from the flush that now spread from her face and down the column of her neck. Brushing her hair away from her temple he moved his hand to press his palm against her cheek. He didn't know what to say.

She seemed to sense this, and pulled back a little, giving him space. "Obi-Wan... I know you can't give me anything. I just want to be with you, even if it's only for one night."

He lost himself in the sincerity of her eyes. "I don't have to leave for two." He couldn't resist teasing her.

She smiled slowly. "Alright, two."

~​

"It's getting late." Or maybe he was getting impatient. Except he was a Jedi and Jedi weren't impatient; Obi-Wan Kenobi was not impatient.

Finally, she turned to him. She looked down, then boldly met his gaze. "You don't have to go."

And yet he hesitated.

But she smiled. "Nothing's changed, Obi-Wan. I know nothing's changed. I don't want anything from you; I just want to be with you, even if it's only tonight." Aala said those words like she had been planning them forever, but he thought he could still see a hint of uncertainty on her face.

"I don't want to hurt you." There. He said it.

"I'm tougher than I look," she answered surely. "Besides," she shrugged and her eyes took on a mischievous glint, "it's nothing we haven't done before."

But it had been easier before, when he was younger, and hurting, and they were so isolated, they might as well have been in their own little galaxy; and when he knew he'd be leaving the planet in a matter of days.

~​

"Aala," her name was an affirmation, a caress, a plea. He drew his arm tight around her, pulling her body close to his. Their eyes locked and he studied the blue depths, searching for any reason he shouldn't do what he was about to do, but he could find nothing. Her innocence was real, her desire was pure, her understanding was clear.

~​

And it was the same now, and in the middle of the night, when there was nowhere he had to be, faced with the promise of her soft smile, and the knowledge that she would, in fact, be able to let him go in the morning, he couldn't come up with a reason to resist.

"Aala..." his voice was husky as he brushed his fingertips across her cheek and slid his hand into her hair, pulling her close with his other arm. She closed her eyes and leaned into his body, and he brushed his nose against the sensitive skin just below her ear, nuzzling her neck and rubbing his stubbled cheek against her softer one. "Aala – " he repeated, nipping at her earlobe.

She shuddered in his arms, and he pulled her even closer, whispering, her skin warm against his lips. " – there are about a dozen things I want to do to you that we never got the chance to do before."

She lay in the peacefulness of Obi-Wan's arms, but sleep evaded her. In the few years since they had reunited on Coruscant, these opportunities seemed to come very few and far between - she sometimes felt like all they had were a couple of stolen moments, but then she had always known that this would be the way of things.

For once, their schedules had co-ordinated. She'd just returned from Naboo. With the Senate relatively quiet and her work at a lull, she'd quickly decided a brief visit home was in order and long over due. Obi-Wan had been away, off-planet, and they'd happened to return at the same time. She was loathe to just sleep through the short amount of time she had with him.

The problem, however, was that it gave her mind time to wander. And wander it did – into territory she really didn't want to dwell over.

Usually, she would tell herself it didn't matter, that she had never wanted a family of her own, anyway. There was no room for children in this life, or any other she had ever dreamt up for herself. And that was the end of it, and she would move on.

Usually.

But now, laying here in the dark, all she could think about was her family. She'd forgotten how good it felt - her father's stories, her mother's laugh, Sola's teasing and her children... they were simply beautiful – bright, shining lights. She loved her nieces so much. And she couldn't help but wonder what if.

She shifted under the blanket, sliding closer to Obi-Wan's warm body and wrapping her arm tight around his waist. But even if she was with someone else, someone who was not bound by duty as Obi-Wan was, even if...it wouldn't matter. Her fate had been decided long ago. In the blink of an eye, her entire life had altered course.

Telling Obi-Wan had been hard, although she couldn't remember why. They'd really only known each other for a couple days and she certainly hadn't had any expectations of him. Maybe she felt they'd both already experienced too much pain; she wanted nothing more than to leave it all in the past.

~​

The first twinges of regret were beginning to seep their way into Obi-Wan's consciousness. The lights had long ago been turned out, and the heavy clouds outside hid whatever light may have come from the Nubian moons. Obi-Wan lay on his back staring through the darkness to the ceiling. Sleep was elusive. Aala lay curled on her side, blankets pulled securely up over her shoulder, facing away from him

He didn't think she was asleep, either. She had drifted off after... well, *after* but now she seemed restless.

This was awkward. At best.

His thoughts returned to his doubts, despite what she had said. Had he taken advantage of her? After all, she was hurt, emotionally distraught and alone...

He felt sick to his stomach, he hadn't thought he was taking advantage of her at the time...

What if – she did fall in love with him? What if she became attached? What if she wanted more?

The last thing he wanted was to hurt her, break her heart, cause her more pain.

What if...

"Oh, blast..." he muttered to himself as a very alarming thought suddenly popped into his head. How could he have been such a fool?

Aala chose that moment to turn toward him. "Obi?" Her voice sounded small and fragile. Maybe if he didn't move, he could simply disappear into the bed. "Are you awake?" she whispered.

"Yes," he breathed. When she didn't say anything, he finally turned toward her. She was lying on her side, her head resting on her hands, the blankets still pulled up over her shoulders.

"You..." she started. "I mean – I . . ." She took a deep breath. "I couldn't bear it if you regretted this." She said in a hurry.

"I don't," he assured her, then berated himself in his head. 'How quick I am to lie to a beautiful woman,' he thought. "I just, Aala, we didn't... we weren't..." Even in the dark, he could see her eyes grow wide as he fumbled for the right words, 'she's probably wondering what in space I am trying to say' "Were you... protected?"

"Oh," she blinked. "I, uh–" she stammered. "Umm, I..." she shook her head, a pained expression contorting her soft features. "I can't... have children..."

He was dumbfounded; he hadn't been expecting that.

Or the pain that was now evident on her face.

"I'm sorry," she continued. "I should've told you." She swallowed. "I was in an accident, awhile ago..." she trailed off.

It didn't matter, he could guess the rest. The look on her face was heartbreaking and it was obvious he still had so much to learn. How many lessons had she taught him in just the few short days he had known her?

"It's alright," he reached out to her and pulled her close. "I'm sorry," he whispered into her hair. And he had only been worried about himself, what any of this might mean for him, for his own morals. He felt like a jerk.

"It was a shuttle crash. I don't remember any of it. There - there were only a few survivors."

There were no words that could fix this atrocity, that could make any of what had happened to her any better. So, he simply held her in his arms. They had both lost so much.

He felt a tear drop on his chest and they laid in silence together for a long time, until Aala turned in his embrace to look up at him. She wiped the tears off her cheek. "I don't want to think about the past. Or the future. None of that matters to me right now." She moved to press her lips against his, and he kissed her back. Letting the blankets fall away, she rested her body flush against his, pulling him deeper into the kiss.

They came together in a slow, quiet way that melted his heart; he'd never known peace like this.

Dawn found them still awake, Aala sat on the bed facing Obi-Wan, her knees pulled up to her chest, wearing his thin undershirt. He was lying with his head propped up on his hand, the doubts he'd had only a few hours ago no longer plagued him. The daylight brought new understanding.

She laughed when he told her he worried he had taken advantage of her. "I twisted my ankle, and I was angry my sister wasn't doing what I wanted her to do."

"She could have been killed." He said half incredulously.

"But she wasn't, she wasn't even injured. You've been through a lot more. Maybe it is I who am taking advantage of you." She smiled poking him in the chest.

He grabbed her hand pulling her towards him. "Not likely," he said, laughing.

She smiled and laid down next to him on her back. His hand drifted to her stomach and he hesitated, not wanting to make her uncomfortable, but his curiosity won out in the end. He had made the decision to never have a family. What would it feel like to have it taken away? To never have the choice?

Resting the palm of his hand against the curve of her stomach, he looked down then back up at her. She sighed covering his hand with her own. "I never really thought that much about having children, not like my sisters. Maybe I knew somehow, that it wasn't in the cards for me. It would just be nice to have the option..." She smiled again, reassuring him. "I'm okay with it. I just wasn't expecting to have to answer that question last night." Her smile grew wider, "You must've been going crazy with worry."

"It's not funny, I would've been cast out of the Order."

She turned serious. "For one mistake? Everyone makes mistakes. Even Jedi Knights."

"That would be a pretty big mistake, and the council is not terribly forgiving."

She sighed and looked away. "We shouldn't have done this."

He caught her chin in his fingers and turned her head so she would meet his eyes. "No regrets, remember? I'm not allowed to become attached, have a relationship. Duty comes first, I can't promise you anything, I can't - I can't come see you. But I won't forget you or what this means to me."

~​

She nodded and he knew that was all she wanted.

She breathed deeply and Obi-Wan stirred. He wrapped his arm around her pulling her close to him, running his fingers through the ends of her hair. "What are you thinking about?" he asked quietly.

"Naboo," was her simple answer.

He understood.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Only you could blend the past and present so seamlessly =D= =D= Their emotions then and now are so real and understandable and beautifully and vividly detailed. You can feel how much they want to live in the moment but also not wanting to hurt each other ... You can also feel as the reader/observer how on the brink of something deeper and everlasting they truly are. [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

19. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    They are together that's all that counts, even if it is only for a short time.:D

20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was just so breathtakingly beautiful. Once again, you are just superb with mixing together the 'now' and the 'then'. There was such a heartbreaking poignancy with their time together - they were living in the moment, but it felt like more. So much more. The news about Aala not being able to have children really added another layer and depth to this - I am loving her character the more and more I learn about her, and thus, enjoying the nuances with her relationship with Obi-wan even more. [face_love]

Great building and development, all around. =D=

21. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nyota's Heart Thank you! I think they are both very caring people, and though they want to be cautious, both are bound to give their heart ;) Of course I think they're capable of being responsible at the same time! Thank you!!

Gkilkenny So true! They appreciate each other and any moment the get [face_love] Thanks for commenting!

Mira_Jade Thank you so much! I'm really happy you're enjoying and your comments mean so much! I try to build the depth with Aala throughout and this is just the first layer of her own struggles with herself, and relationships, but at the heart of it - they care for each other, well, and that's what keep's it beating :) Thank you!!

A post for my birthday! This is one chapter I love, and it's full of fluff ;)

She was simply stunning. The sapphire blue dress she wore was breathtaking. The bodice laced all the way up her back and was fitted, leaving her shoulders bare, and showing off her figure. The skirt flared at her hips and was made of some flowy material, swirling around her long legs when she spun.

He was not ashamed to say he had been watching her all night – he certainly wasn't the only man in the room who couldn't keep his eyes off her. Her hair was swept up, sleek blonde curls escaping to fall around her face and the nape of her neck. He was fairly certain her feet would be quite sore by now; he had seen her dance with at least four partners in the last hour.

Of course, he wasn't worried. He told himself it was because if she found someone – a good man – he would be happy for her, which was true, but deep down he knew she would never find anyone else, if only because she was never looking. Allowing himself to wonder why seemed mostly pointless.

The song ended; she smiled brilliantly, curtsied politely and promptly excused herself, expertly dodging a handsome young politician who seemed to be headed in her direction.

He chuckled softly; she certainly knew how to take care of herself. Confident in that, he turned his attention to scan the rest of the room. His job here was two-fold, as always. A Jedi or two were usually required to attend these sort of diplomatic functions for security – but also partly because it looked good for the Order. It was important to keep up social relations with the Senate... and it bored Obi-Wan to death.

However, there did seem to be one bright spot.

He made the rounds, including the obligatory small talk with a few Senators, and with the party beginning to wind down, he found himself looking for Aala again.

Strangely enough, he didn't find her on the dance floor. And when he didn't see her anywhere else in the room, he reached out with the Force. His senses led him to a set of doors at the back of the room that opened to what he assumed was a balcony.

For whatever reason, he made sure no one was paying him any attention, then slipped outside.

Aala was leaning against the low wall, staring out at the city. Thankfully, she was alone on the balcony.

"Hiding?" he questioned, a wry smile on his face.

She turned at the sound of his voice, and smiled warmly when she met his gaze. "Yes, but you found me."

"I can leave," he gestured to the door, "if you like."

"No," she reached out to grab his arm. "Actually, I need you." She said dramatically.

He grinned. "You 'need' me?"

"You're my only hope."

"Oh?"

"Well, it's a long story..."

He shrugged. "I've got all night."

"I'm glad to hear that," she said, her eyes sparkling. "See, Padmé gave me this lecture this morning about not having enough gowns and not, I don't know, fulfilling my beauty potential, or some such nonsense. So, she insisted I attend this thing and she picked this dress out herself," Aala picked up her skirt and twirled, showing it off, "and made me wear it."

"I must thank her the next time I see her."

"Flatterer." She laughed. "Anyway, she let me borrow Ellé," Aala turned again, displaying the intricate laces and knots holding her dress together in the back, "for obvious reasons, but now there's been some sort of emergency and, well, I'm stuck. They abandoned me." She shrugged. "There's no way I can get out of this dress myself. So," she moved closer to him, and lowered her voice, "I need to ask a favor."

He waited, a glint in his eyes.

"Will you help me get his dress off?"

"Here?" he pointed to the ground, feigning ignorance.

"Nooo... preferably at home."

"Hmm," he pretended to think about it. "What's in it for me?"

"You're a Jedi! You act without thought of reward or self. Besides, I can barely breathe and my feet are killing me. I imagine I'll be quite agreeable once I get out of here – and this." She smoothed the fabric cinched around her waist.

He couldn't resist a little good natured teasing. "Oh really? It looked to me like you were enjoying yourself out on the dance floor. The belle of the ball."

"Oh please," she rolled her eyes then paused. "You're not... jealous... are you?" She looked up at him innocently.

"Of course not. I have no reason to be."

She smiled. He could be quite charming when he wanted to be.

Leaning in, he whispered, his lips close to her ear." Just make sure to save the last dance for me."

Their eyes met and for a moment, he thought he might like to kiss her.

"Give me 15 minutes," Obi-Wan said, straightening, "and I'll have you out of here."

"Deal," Aala answered, her blue eyes shining. "To both," he heard her whisper as she watched him walk away.

If nothing else, he certainly had a new respect for handmaidens. Not only were the laces difficult for his calloused fingertips, it seemed nearly impossible for Aala to actually stand still for more than 5 seconds.

Almost on cue, she squirmed under his touch, her hand coming up to rub at a spot on the back of her neck.

"Aala, darling," his breath stirred the wisps of hair behind her ear as he leaned closer, holding her shoulders in an effort to still them. "If you don't stop wiggling, this'll take twice as long as it should."

"Well, stop breathing on me," she complained. "It tickles."

He chuckled going back to work on her dress, nearing the halfway point.

"Besides, I thought you said you had all night."

"I did, but now that we're here I really think there are better ways we could be spending our time."

She turned her head flashing him a knowing smile, and he winked. Clasping her head in his hands, he turned her away, "Now don't move."

She rested her forearms on the door frame and arched her back drawing his attention to the span of smooth, pale skin. "At least you're not wearing anything underneath," he muttered picturing complicated corsets with millions of tiny hooks.

"Nothing would fit." She grumbled.

It was almost an entire two minutes she had managed to stay still when Obi-Wan's fingers slipped from the tight knot he was struggling with. "Blast," he muttered under his breath.

"Oh, wait!" Aala suddenly turned to him, holding her loosening dress to her chest. "We never danced."

Obi-Wan paused. "Don't tell me you want me to lace that thing back up."

"No," she smiled. "Here, just -" she pressed her lower body close to his, "hold me close," she finished, moving her arm from between them and pulling him into a tight embrace.

He gave her a look that plainly said this wasn't exactly what he'd had in mind. "There's no music." He pointed out.
    "Please? I promised."

He sighed, wrapping his arm around her. "Alright."

Silence fell around them like a warm blanket, comfortable and calming. Aala pressed her cheek against his shoulder, her arm around his waist. They swayed gently, not really moving, her dress was in too precarious a position for any real dancing.

He pressed one hand to her lower back, where the laces were still tied, to help keep her body close to his. The other hand he let drift across her back and up to her shoulders. His thumb swept across the nape of her neck, then dipped lower, following the line of her spine. Her skin was unbelievably soft and he couldn't help but briefly wonder how many other men tonight had done the same thing, had the same thoughts. He dismissed the idea just as quickly. It really didn't matter.

Accidentally, his fingers brushed against the long scar that started in the middle of her back and wrapped around her body, ending, he knew, just below her belly button and she flinched. Her head snapped up and she looked at him and he knew she was biting her tongue. The scar and the accident bothered her more than she would admit, and she didn't like to talk about it, but her agitation disappeared almost as quickly as it had arose. "Sorry," she mumbled, chagrined, "it tickled."

He kissed her temple and guided her head back to his shoulder. "It's alright."

Feeling her relax again, Obi-Wan took a deep breath and counted himself lucky one more quiet night could be spent with this woman in his arms. He closed his eyes and let his fingers drift together over the tight laces at her waist, deftly continuing to untie them.

"What would Master Yoda say if he knew you were using the Force to undress me?" Lifting her head again, she met his eyes.
    Obi-Wan let out a low chuckle. "I didn't know you were paying attention."

She smirked, clasping her hands behind his neck. "A girl tends to notice those kinds of things. It's not every man that can literally undress you with his mind – wait – I think that's..." She took a step back, grasping the material at her hips, and shimmied, tugging the dress inch by inch down her body.

One more lace, he knew, and the dress would have slipped off, but she simply lacked the patience for that. He was beginning to wonder if there wasn't some other reason her borrowed handmaiden had to leave her so suddenly.

"There!" With a flourish, the dress fell past her hips and she whipped it back up again holding it against her body. "I better hang this up." She turned to go into the bedroom and he got a very nice view of her backside, barely covered in a scrap of lace.

She turned her head just as she entered the room. "Coming?"

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A fluffy yummy post. No wonder you loved writing this. I loved reading it. LOL [:D] [:D] The teasing and the affection are plainly evident. And I just bet Aala was a stunner in that dress. :) And [face_shhh] I know she sent the handmaiden away on purpose. [face_laugh]

23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Best . . . update . . . yet, that's all I have to say! [face_love]=D= I am glad you gave into the fluff, and the banter! The banter. The banter was just lovely here, the "you're my only hope" and "flatterer" and "You're a Jedi! You act without thought of reward or self." - all perfect. I am loving your 'voice' for these two, almost as much as I am loving seeing more of these moments in their past.

The undressing and the dance at the end here was just lovely - the whole scene, the playfulness of it developing into such a sweet softness was just beautiful to read, and I just have this silly smile that I can't quite shake now. [face_love]

Beautifully done, as always, and I can't wait for more! [:D]

24. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Nyota's Heart I think Obi thinks she was a stunner too! Lol! He was trying so hard to be cool and unaffected by her, but I bet you his heart was fluttering madly in his chest and he was quite happy to get her alone. To know he was the one to get the last dance. ;) Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I love it so much, it means a lot to me!

Mira_Jade Wow! Thank you so much [:D]I can never resist the fluff and the banter ;) The war looms closer...but I hope this shows what kind of foundation they are building to stand on ;) Thank you again, so much. I can't tell you how happy I am you are enjoying this!

Here's another update Gkilkenny if you want to read :)

Bad times are coming, but there's still time for banter and romance ;) I really hope you enjoy! Please let me know :)

~ ________________________________________________ ~​

The High Jedi General…

The panic in Anakin's voice when he'd said Padmé's name as she was being taken hostage had been Obi-Wan's first indication (that month) that, yes, Anakin's feelings were not what they should be and, yes, they were affecting him.

When Anakin made the decision to abort the planned attack, despite the Senator's impassioned plea that he continue with the mission, Obi-Wan took note and filed it away to contemplate later – maybe at a time when there wasn't an important Galactic Senator of the Republic in mortal danger. But it wasn't the decision that concerned him – it was the way Anakin had struggled with it.

Aboard General Grievous' war cruiser, Anakin had impetuously bounded off after the Senator, without hesitation, hell-bent on rescue, leaving Obi-Wan to risk life and limb to rescue his droid. And when Anakin had reached her, they had clung to each other, oblivious to the fact that Obi-Wan was watching. And when he saw the way they were gazing into each others eyes, he decided maybe he should say something to Anakin after all.

But then the enemy ship was destroyed, Senator Amidala was taken out of harm's way, the droid was rescued and they were headed back to relative safety. Did the outcome justify the means? Did success make the details extraneous? Obi-Wan wasn't sure but he felt a headache coming on and his arm was beginning to ache. 'Must've been a stray blaster bolt,' he sighed to himself. 'I think I need a nap.'

The Ambassador/etc…

Surely, it was a strong testament to her fortitude that Aala had felt only slightly out of place and uncomfortable as she followed her young padawan escort through the vaulted hallways of the Jedi Temple. Stuffing her hands in her jacket pockets, Aala tenaciously resisted the urge to stare up in childish wonder at the shining atrium as they passed underneath. Sunlight filtered through the high transparisteel windows casting an ethereal glow on the glossy marble tile floors below.
    She knew she was being silly, the Jedi Temple wasn't any more resplendent than the Senate Building. At least not on the surface. But it felt different – vital. The Senate Building felt heavy and dim, weighed down by the arguing, the greed, the endless bureaucracy. The Temple was awash of brilliancy.

She was ushered into a room where Jedi Master Mace Windu sat alone, datapad in hand. She had met him a handful of times before. He was the only one that intimidated her, if she were to let herself be intimidated. That's what she told herself, anyway. "Master Windu," she greeted him.

"I spoke with Senator Organa this morning," he answered, bypassing formalities. "He said you've been working with Republic Intelligence. He recommended you as a liaison officer but he indicated there was something more to this arrangement."

Aala took a breath, wanting to be certain how she phrased Bail’s plan. "Isard has made it clear he is entirely loyal to the Chancellor and with the Security Act back on the table, and likely to pass, we felt it might be prudent to... get ahead of the game." It was apparent Armand Isard, the Director of the Senate Bureau of Intelligence, was close to the Chancellor and that gave Aala no measure of comfort. The fact that Palpatine seemed to have so much influence, so much control, was a little frightening. "Chancellor Palpatine is on the brink of unprecedented power. At SBI, if... anything... were to happen, I might be in a position to find out and notify... someone... before it was too late."

"I see."

"The idea is, what we're proposing isn't anything illicit – not yet."

"Your plan?" He sat back in his chair, regarding her.

"Be discreet, pay attention, and take advantage of any opportunity that crosses my path. Hopefully, our concerns prove unnecessary, but even if that's true, I feel I can contribute a lot more to the effort at Intelligence than as an Ambassador to Alderann.”

He nodded, but at the same time, almost imperceptibly, his eyes narrowed and she tried not to fidget as he studied her. He was silent for what felt like ages. Maybe he was using the Force to assess her worthiness.

Or maybe he was just admiring the fit of her new jacket. More likely the former.

"I see no harm in having someone we know we can trust at Intelligence and I know you're capable of making reports. I'll discuss it with the Council and we'll be in touch."

Dismissed, she nodded respectfully and turned to leave. The padawan waited dutifully just outside the door and she followed him wordlessly back to the main entrance. The hard part was over. At least that's what she liked to tell herself.

From the window of her small apartment in the center of the Senate District, Aala could see the bright lights of the staging area for the clone troops, ever bright as mid-day. More clones were arriving and being deployed every week. Maybe she had been naïve, but the war was escalating far faster than she had ever imagined it would; there was no end in sight.

Sighing, Aala moved to sit down on her couch and allowed herself to close her eyes for one moment. There was more work she needed to finish tonight but she decided she could put it off for a little while longer.

Just beginning to relax, the sound of her keypad from the hallway aroused her. There was only one other person who knew her key code. The door slid open and she whipped her head around, startled but happy.

"Obi-Wan," she exclaimed. An unexpected wave of relief washed over her.

"Hello." He smiled warily.

Standing, she wasted no time in going to him and wrapping her arms around him tightly. He looked like he needed a hug.

He took a deep breath and she felt his shoulders slump as he returned her embrace.

Leaning back, her eyes swept over his tired form; he looked completely worn. "I didn't even know you were here," she murmured. Her hand grazed his arm as she loosened her hold on him and he winced.

"You're hurt," she said, concern in her voice.

"It's nothing, just a scratch."

Her brow furrowed.

"Really, it's fine."

"Alright." She conceded reluctantly. "Are you hungry? I could throw something together."

"No, just something to drink is fine." He sat down at her small square table.

"Wine? Tea?" she asked.

"Wine." Removing his cloak, he draped it over the chair, while she poured him a glass and topped off her own.

She sat down next to him at the table. "I thought - " she started, " - I heard Padmé was with you."

"She was. She was caught in a trap and captured but managed to escape - Anakin helped her."

Aala sighed heavily and rubbed her hand over her face. "She never fails to find herself entangled in the most dangerous situations. I swear..."

A sympathetic smile crossed his face. "I sometimes feel Anakin is the same way. When was the last time you saw her?" he asked her cautiously.

Aala shook her head, shrugging, "About two weeks ago, I think."

Obi-Wan frowned, deep in thought. "Does she ever - talk - about Anakin?"

Aala took a alow sip of her wine and stared down at the table. "No."

"Not at all?" he pressed her.

Aala let out a resigned sigh. "Obi-Wan, I can't tell you anything you don't already know. She might've mentioned him a time or two, but she doesn't talk about him, not to me."

It irritated her, and she was even slightly ashamed, that her sister didn't tell her what was going on in her life, but part of her was relieved she didn't have to choose between betraying Padmé and lying to Obi-Wan because if she knew anything about Padmé, it was that she didn't do anything halfway.

He was quiet for a few minutes and she watched him carefully.

"I want him to be happy. I do. But sometimes I worry his feelings have already taken him too far."

She caught her lower lip between her teeth, and chewed on it thoughtfully. It was obvious how much this was bothering him, and she didn't blame him, it bothered her too, but she didn't have any answers. Her and her sister were so different in so many ways. "I don't know. But she is an expert at finding trouble." She smiled sadly. "And Anakin, well..."

"Mmm." He agreed. "Speaking of finding trouble... I saw you at the Temple today."

"Yes." She hesitated. "I'm working with Republic Intelligence now."

"Intelligence?" he repeated, mildly surprised. "Do you have experience with that?"

Aala gave him a look. "Always the tone of surprise," she quipped. "I took some Intelligence courses at University. Intel analysis in the private sector can be quite lucrative, you know." She smiled at him. "But, I decided to use my powers for good, instead."

He sipped his wine, still clearly bemused. "When was this decided?"

"It was Bail's suggestion. And I'm, um, liaising... with the Council." She looked at him and she knew he had caught her implication. That put her right in the center of a situation that was rapidly becoming more and more heated every day. It wasn't of the obvious, violent variety, but it was trouble all the same.

"You look exhausted," she commented, eager to change the subject.

"I am. I haven't had a break in weeks."

"Go to bed." Aala inclined her head toward the bedroom. "I'll be there in a few minutes."

He nodded his agreement and stood up, affectionately squeezing her shoulder as he passed.
    Sitting quietly by herself for a moment, she finished her wine, then took both glasses to the kitchen. She flipped the lights off and just as she turned toward the bedroom she caught sight of her datapad sitting on the table by the couch. She looked toward the dark bedroom then back at the datapad again. "Ohh," she sighed to herself, "fifteen minutes."

Two hours later she was just finishing the report she had been working on. Switching it off, she stood stretching. She hadn't heard a sound from Obi-Wan, he must've fallen straight to sleep. Silently, she turned off the lamp and crept into the bedroom. Obi-Wan was sound asleep and snoring softly, she smiled at the way his face was relaxed.

She shed her clothing and pulled on a thin, sleeveless sleep shirt and climbed into bed. He turned toward her as she settled next to him, his hand coming to rest over her hip. She cuddled closer, his warmth soothing and, content, she fell asleep almost instantly.

It was sometime later, but still dark, when Aala awoke again. Lying on her stomach next to Obi-Wan, she could feel his fingertips drawing imaginary lines on her back. Turning her head, she looked up at him with sleepy eyes to see if he was awake. He met her gaze in the darkness and swept his hand across her back, letting it rest just under the hem of her shirt. "I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

"It's alright." She turned and scooted closer to him, yawning. "What time is it?"

"I don't know," he said softly.

"Mmm..." She sighed and closed her eyes, but she could feel there was something he wanted to say, so she met his gaze again.

His face was contemplative. "I wish you weren't putting yourself right in the middle of all of this. It's too dangerous."

"Good thing you weren't there when the Council decided to go along with it, then," she deadpanned.

He sighed disapprovingly.

Propping herself up, she half leaned against the headboard and her pillow to face him. "Everything that's happened, everyone we've lost, it's too much and it's about to get worse. I can't sit here and do nothing. You can't expect me to. If there's anything I can do to help end this war even a day sooner, it's worth it." She looked at him seriously. "You shouldn't worry about me."

"I know."

But studying his face, she could see the concern he felt. It was evident, etched in the lines that crossed his handsome features and it brought to the surface some of her own feelings, the ones she liked to vehemently ignore. And for the first time, she felt the full weight of this war on her shoulders. Maybe it was because she was now in the thick of it. Maybe it was because lives could depend on her, what she did. What it must feel like to be a General - responsible for so much.

I hate this, she thought to herself. The stakes were so high and now the chance of him not coming back seemed very, very real and at the forefront of her mind.

Groaning, she pressed her face into the covers and curled up against his side. "There should be a law against talking about war in bed."

"And who would enforce that?" he asked.

She grinned. It was just so much fun to tease him, he made it so easy. "The Jedi would have to, of course. 'The Guardians of Peace in the Galaxy, and all.”

"I don't think it was meant to be interpreted and put to use in that way," he answered dryly.

"Ah, well." She pulled back a little, trying to make out his features in the dark and ran her fingers through his hair. He closed his eyes, enjoying her light touch. "You have more grey hair."

"How can you tell in the dark?" He asked grumpily. "Does it feel different?"

"I noticed earlier. Too much stress."

He moved closer, resting his head against her shoulder as she continued to stroke her fingertips across his scalp.

"I know a great way to reduce stress," she offered suggestively but he was already pressing slow, lingering kisses to her throat and collarbone.

"Hmmm..." He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her to him.

"I'm serious, you know. It lowers your blood pressure, it's good for your heart, it can even reduce pain." She stretched letting him have access to touch and kiss more of her and pressed her hand against his chest.

"Yes, doctor," he murmured in between kisses. "Plain old-fashioned exercise is good for you, too."

"It's not - ah... the same..." His hand found it's way under her shirt, skimming over sensitive, tingling skin and illustrating her point quite effectively. "Really. This should be openly encouraged."

"You'll have to speak to the Council about that."

"I thought I was."

"I'm only one. You would have to convince the others."

"Master Kenobi,” she pulled back to look at him. “Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?"

"No."

"Aw, you're no fun." She smiled to herself.

"Less talking, more stress reducing." He brushed the palm of his hand over her, just there, taking her breath away and he finally kissed her lips, further limiting her oxygen supply. Talking anymore now, was out of the question.

Shifting closer, he cradled her head in his hands, his thumbs brushing across her cheekbones and he kissed her again, softly. His beard scratched and tickled at her skin a little and she pulled back after a few moments lifting her chin so he could continue his kisses along her jaw and down the column of her neck.

He pulled her half under him, and she looped her arms around his body running her hands up his bare arms, skating around the injury on his left bicep, to his shoulders and down the muscular planes of his back.

Her body tingled as his mouth moved lower and his hand glided up her side, pushing her shirt higher and, together, they pulled it over her head. His fingers returned to her body and she hummed a soft sound of approval, turning toward him. Tangling her leg with his, she held tightly to his strong frame as his hands continued to roam.

As they finally moved together, her eyes locked with his, and for a second the intensity in his blue-grey depths overwhelmed her. She wanted to ask what he was thinking, what he was feeling, but she couldn't catch her breath. Instead, their lips met in a soft kiss and then he turned his head, pressing his mouth to the curve of her shoulder.

Sliding his arm underneath her, he urged her closer. With a swift intake of breath, she gripped his arms as every sensation intensified. He pressed his lips to her ear and she could feel his energy flowing through her. "Let go," he encouraged, the gruff sound of his voice spurring her forward. There was nothing she could deny him.

Quiescent, they held onto each other for a long time afterward, peacefully content. She felt happy and languid, drifting in and out, finally completely relaxed. At some point he pulled the covers around them and when she had the energy, she turned to her side pressing her back to his warm, solid body and guiding his arm to wrap securely around her. Lazily, his fingers brushed across her ribs and her stomach, tracing circles on her skin.

Aala gratefully relished every minute of tranquility. The Force only knew when, or if, she would have the chance to see him again. Inevitably, there were more of the atrocities of war to come for them both.

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    I went back on my word and I started reading. I do have large shoes to fill, don't I? (I can't help but feel keenly being the newbie around here....You're all such a tight group here at TFN. But its really awesome!) In any case, what I've read so far is really lovely! Enjoying it certainly. Glad you reposted so I can get the full story.@};-