main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I like Son of Suns better.

Immortiss and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I thought the ST was an original story. Resurrecting Palpatine is hardly original, it was done in Dark Empire.

3. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

Luke or Leia having kids isn't exactly original either. Doesn't mean they won't proceed with that and give them different names and characteristics.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's all about phrasing and presentation.
    It's more original if they say that kids have Leia or Luke.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's not a plot, it is just an example of normal human development. Might as well claim death is unoriginal.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Let's hope they come up with something slightly more original than having the actors breathe or speak to one another in order to communicate their thoughts.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The kids will be fighting Palpatine not Luke falling to the Dark Side and taking him down from the inside. Anakin's and Obi-Wan's Force ghost might have a role so the ST will be different from DE.

Dra--- likes this.
  8. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Normal equals original? So if the next three movies focused on Palpatine having an heir, that would be original because it's an example of normal human development? Three movies dealing with Palpatine's son or possible son is a completely original idea for Star Wars?

As for death being unoriginal, it would greatly depend on who it happens to and how it happens in these sequels. Luke being killed by a Sith Lord in front of his apprentice wouldn't exactly be the most original idea, but it might happen.

9. Fly Guy

Fly Guy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2013
    Yes.

The Emperor is dead.

He sleeps with the fishes like Luco Brasi.

Count Yubnub and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I would like if you didn't put words in my mouth. I was referring to the statement by the actual filmmakers that the ST was an original story. Bringing back Palps wouldn't be an original story because it's been done before.

I wouldn't mind it if the movies dealt with Palpatine's heir, whoever he/she is. It isn't terribly original, but it wasn't really done in the EU (Mara Jade hardly counts) and could be made interesting.

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    When filmmakers describe a screenplay as "original" they mean it's not adapted from another source. That's why there's a different Academy Award for "Best original screenplay" and "Best adapted screenplay." The ST could very well have Cloned Palpatine without being an adaptation of whatever piece of EU Cloned Palpatine appears in.

Dra---, HL&S and Mystery_Roach like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want them to burp and fart at each other.

13. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Episode VII performed by semaphore. Or perhaps on an Aldis lamp?

14. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

Reminds me of this:

15. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

The survival of Palpatine can be an original story if done in a different way than the EU. Just like the adventures of Luke and Leia's kids can be an original story if done in a different way.

As for Palpatine's heir, I'd say the story of Trioculus and Triclops counts. But they can go the route of giving Palpatine a son or daughter while making it different from a three eyed prisoner/genetic experiment/possible love child of Palpatine and Sly Moore.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That reminds me that Episode VIII should be entirely in Morse Code.

17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    You know, apparently some of the early EU books dealt with the offspring of Palp, and for some reason the writer was obsessed with characters with three eyes. Somehow during my EU phase I missed out on these books, which sound so terrible that I might actually like them.

I had always thought Ken Palpatine was a joke. I know he is, but the kind of joke that exists in a real book.

Anyway, it is true that "original" in this context doesn't mean a fresh or innovative plot. It means a non-adapted screenplay. This means ideas from the EU might find their way in.

I think we might all be surprised to find that the ST will actually be about Palpatine cloning himself and transferring essence. This isn't necessarily a bad thing -- just because it was poorly done in EU doesn't mean it couldn't be good on screen. Personally, I've never had a problem with clones or the problems of longevity they might create for our heroes.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If he is returning in a new body to wreck havoc on an unsuspecting republic using the imperial forces then it is a copy of Dark Empire. And as they also said they wouldn't adapt an EU-story, this plot is out. If he returns as ghost and doesn't use the Empire I would say it is a different plot and possible.

Totally forgot about Trioculus. I never read those books.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Glove of Darth Vader is the pinnacle of SW literature. Once you read it, you have absolutely no desire to read anymore EU afterwards.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Glove of Darth Vader is my holy grail. From all I've heard, it sounds too amazing for words.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Bringing back the Emperor is a cheap, easy and tabloid way of extending Star Wars. The only thing worse would be to bring back the Sith sans Palpatine.

I am certain they will do one of the above. So they might as well do the first one.

UKS

Dra--- likes this.
  22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Not necessarily. Cut the Imperial Forces. Cut all the Jainas and Jacens. Cut other crappy plot points (like Luke going darkside). Then it's not an adaptation. Similar plot element, different story.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's true.

But what is Palpatine without some underlings to boss around? If he doesn't use the imperial forces, you'd have to give him other servants.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Bringing Palpatine back, in physical form, kinda contradicts the "original story" claim - it's been done in the EU and Disney has said none of that material will influence VII source material.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Wow!!! So many skeptics, Uncle Palpy is Dead!!!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.