main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your Least Favorite Scene from the Prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Garrett Atkins, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    that's even cheaper. I've seen better symbolism inside my fridge.

You lost me at "could of", sorry.

cwustudent likes this.
  2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    TPM
    ++ The tongue gag, Jar-Jar stepping in crap. Ergh...

++ The podrace scene. See, I don't even watch the real-life equivalent of it called NASCAR racing. Why would I sit down and watch a long-ass racing scene set in a fictional world? It didn't even feel like Anakin was racing for his freedom, just racing while grimacing the whole time. So let me get this straight. A scene of Anakin beating the crap out of Greedo (or whatever his name was) gets cut out, but this boring sequence doesn't?

++ Anakin's 'I'm a person, and my name is Anakin!'. Dude, Padme was just asking a question, no need to be a dick. It wasn't like she treated you like a animal.

AOTC
    ++ The fireplace scene. I'm sorry, I can't watch it without feeling nauseated. They seem to be forcing themselves to say the lines. So flat and dead.

++ The 'I hate sand' speech. See above. Lucas, if you can't write romance, find someone who can to do the romance parts.

++ Jar-Jar's speech. This was supposed to be the moment where Palpatine starts getting the powers he wanted, yet any impact of it is ruined by Jar-Jar's awkward speech.

++ Anakin's Tusken Massacre. OK, this was the scene we should've explored more than just a brief cut-away to the Jedi Temple. It's here we see Anakin delve into the Dark Side, we need to feel the full scale of the horror of what he's doing.

++ Obi-Wan's apparent mystery that seemed to resolve itself mid-way through the movie. It's like watching a crime show where you already know who the killer is twenty minutes in, but the show's got an hour left.

++ The whole picnic scene with the weird CGI cows. What was the point of that? Also, as I've read elsewhere, if Anakin's trying to keep Padme safe from assassins, you'd think letting her run around in a WIDE OPEN FIELD would be a very bad idea.

ROTS
    ++ Obi-Wan on the chase. It just felt...lagging, and his mount kept crying "BOGA!" like it was a Pokemon.

++ Vader's 'NOOOOOOOOO'

++ Palpatine's transformation. "No...no...noo...YYEEWW WILL DIIIIIIIIEEEE!!!" then "POOOOOOWWWWAAAAA!!! UUUUUUNNNLLLIIIMMMIIITTTEEEDD POOOOOOWWWWAAAAAA!!!!"

++ Padme popping out two babies, quickly naming them Luke and Leia, then croaking.

~~~~
    I think some of the problems stem from the fact that we already know what will happen to these characters, so some of the drama and tension is gone. It's like reading the seventh Harry Potter book first before reading the next six in order. You already know what happens to Harry and Co, so the natural 'oh, god, are they gonna die?' fear is gone.

cwustudent and Skywalker Thing like this.
  3. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    The entire podrace scene in TPM was unwatchable in my humble opinion. I skip through it every single time. That's by far my #1...

The only reason I continue to watch that scene is because of how hot Padme is there... whew.... [face_love]

Agreed - it should have been a much more dramatic and powerful scene as the transition of power is happening before everyone's eyes - and all I could think of is JarJar's voice.... ugh...

Yeah - that never made sense to me - you're trying to hide away in a wide open plains setting with a bunch of undomesticated wild animals.... that's like saying the witness protection pgm just shoves people over to Yosemite Park to hide out with the wild bison herds... ridiculous....

4. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    You beat me to it. The picnic scene. Everything about it (except the score), from the dialogue to the acting was subpar.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. Rakeem D

Rakeem D Jedi Knight

Oct 17, 2013
    My least favorite scenes (there are two) from the prequels are: when Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan are in the colosseum and they fight those weird creatures and the clone wars right after that in "Attack Of The Clones". I don't know why but I can't get into the clone wars portion of the "Star Wars" story (it's just weird to me) and I usually dislike colosseum fights with beasts in movies.

6. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
    about 80% of the PT is utter rubbish, choose from those scenes there's lots of em

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    So many bad scenes to choose from...ooh spoiled for choice.

Ok I can't stand this line & its delivery: "I heard Master Yoda talking about Midichlorians. I was wondering, what are midichlorians?"

The "I hate sand" comments of course. In case Padme wasn't sure how much he hates sand he slaughters a few dozen SAND people to drive home the point.

Anakin's line "Not again. Obi-Wan's going to kill me" (the delivery more than the line).

The Geonosis factory scene. Like watching someone play Crash Bandicoot. Mind you Crash Bandicoot is a better actor than Hayden C.

Older Anakin's personality, you know the annoying whingeing, arguing, sulking, child murdering hijinks.

Anakin & Obi-Wan's crappy relationship ("He was a good friend" - yeah sure he was Ben)

Anything that involved farting &/or manure.

The awful cgi pig surfing scene. In fact "surfed the pig" should be the new "jumped the shark".

Padme pressing a random button on her ship which somehow brings up a complicated map showing Geonosis & Tatooine. That's one intuitive button!

The Kiwi accents of Jango & the Clones (sorry Kiwis).

Most of the lightsaber fighting in AotC.

Samuel L Jackson trying to be subdued & diplomatic. I'd rather he'd gone all Jules Winfield. The guy can't do 'restrained'.

Vader's "NOOOOoooooo"

Short stumpy Vader!

I should add though that there are plenty of things I did like.

CT-867-5309 and Sarge like this.
  8. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Well one of my *favorite* scenes is the first half of the Anakin VS Obi-Wan fight, but my least favorite scene has to be the *second* half of the Anakin VS Obi-Wan fight.

I can picture them saying "It's clear this contest cannot be decided by our skills with a lightsaber, but by how well we ballet dance over disaster."

9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Thanks for that contribution, fathead.

10. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Probably the droid factory on Geonosis for me. It's not a bad scene, per se, but I feel its inclusion is wasteful when there are other great scenes (such as Padmé's visit with her family) that would add a lot more to the film. Also, AOTC has such an action-heavy end that I think it might have benefitted from cutting down a bit on the action sequences.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. darthirons

darthirons Jedi Master

Oct 23, 2010
    Any of the 'love' scenes. Handled and written badly.

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

Andy Wylde, Thuro and Mr. K like this.
  13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Did you pick one yet?:p

14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    YOU MUST CHOOOOSE !!!

Ok then I'll go with the midichlorian question. Utter crap.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    [​IMG]
    "Don't worry Anakin; with time and training, midichlorians still sound stupid."​
    ;)

16. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013

I wonder how some of the fairly recent discoveries in quantum physics would compare with the midichlorian concept...but I suppose that is a bit off topic. ;)

Hey SX3!

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I was torn, I almost said: "Don't worry Anakin Jake, Yoda still sounds awesome in TESB."

18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    All my "least favorite" scenes involve Anakin, but the most least favorite scene has got to be "From my point of view the Jedi are evil".

VanishingReality and CT-867-5309 like this.
  19. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    The love scenes on Naboo in AOTC, specially the fireplace one; they're pretty much the reason why AOTC is my least favorite SW episode, even as a kid i always skipped them.

Sarge likes this.
  20. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    The Naboo Space battle. I really can't put my finger on why it doesn't work.... but for me it's always been the most aggressively unmemorable space sequence in the saga. I want to love it, especially since it has such a great mix of CGI and model work, but something just feels off. The flow is weird, the way Anakin just kind of stumbles his way to victory rather than showing any real skill (that high midichlorian count has to show itself somehow, right?) is hokey at best, and the reaction shots of the various pilots, despite being shot in an identical manner to the OT, feel goofy and cloying rather than relatable. Also, whereas the ANH trench run subtly and brilliantly mimicked the feel of a rollercoaster through its cinematography, TPM presents a similar sequence, except with narration by Jake Loyd going "Here we go!" and "Whoooaaa!" like a kid playing with his toys. It feels like a transparent attempt at "telling" the audience to feel wonder rather than simply cultivating it through competent filmmaking.

21. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I'm a huge Brian Blessed fan, but I couldn't stand Boss Nass. My least favorite scene is the "I am Queen Amidala" reveal. You've got the whole gambit going on here- Boss Nass' blurbberty blurbbity blurrbity blurrbbb!!! Jake Lloyd's facial expression, Jar Jar's bombad promotion-worthy goofiness, Natalie using her deadpan Queen-voice, all under the umbrella of GL's 'Let's be friends- YAY!' dialogue.

YES! It's technically far superior than anything done on the OT, but it is lacking and it's hard to determine why. Precisely right, IMO. And this is not a bashing response, I actually did enjoy it, it just didn't have the same mojo as the previous space battles. There are any number of reasons: John Knoll's work is a technical marvel, but he doesn't give good depth between different elements in the shot. This is also true in the Coruscant battle in ROTS as well- everything is in such pristine clarity that it looks like the ships are very close together and it's difficult to get perspective of scale. The editing is so tight that it's hard for the viewer to ingest movement and physics- something Dennis Muren was a genius at- stay on a shot for more than a second, please! They absolutely butchered JW's music score for that whole battle. It had been re-edited to such a degree after the score was recorded that all they could do was cut'n'paste cues together and it lacks a good musical/rhythmic flow unlike the other battles in SW and it does diminish the result. Not to mention the 'This is tense- whoa!' 'Now this is podracing' 'what's that? It's blowing up from the inside- we didn't hit it' kind of dialogue.

But I still enjoyed it.

cwustudent likes this.
  22. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    There's a lot to work with here.

Mod edit: This isn't Letterman and the OP didn't ask for a list. See post #64 above. :) ~Sx3

To me, the most irritating of ALL of these has got to be the "Padme is the real Queen" reveal. It's annoyed me endlessly since the FIRST time I saw the film. I've never seen the point of having decoys in TPM. After all, Padme was FIGHTING in most of it. She led the attack regain control of the palace with Panaka. How is simply refusing to sign a treaty more dangerous than climbing buildings and being engaged in fire fights?

23. Hammer_Head

Hammer_Head Jedi Padawan

Dec 8, 2013
    For me it is also when Padme dies. She dies because she has lost the will to live. I thought this was lame. You just had 2 babies and you don't have the will to live and see them grow up. If she had simply died from childbirth that would've been fine, but this was lame.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    That scene in AOTC when Anakin is talking about Sand

25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I love that scene! It's on the same level of "But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters!!!"

2 most hilarious scenes in the sage [face_laugh]

Andy Wylde and cwustudent like this.