main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bye bye.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I don't suspect he will actually have to walk out of the theater.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If they are going to leave just because of that, that's kind of sad but I digress. People probably left the prequels never to return. Trying to be funny. Could have said Don't let the door hit you on the way out.................

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    And this is why the choice to ignore the old EU is the right choice. Let them pluck the occasional gems from it, but it's not as though we're talking about stories written by Shakespeare or Lucas himself. The EU books are not great literature, so why should a great film canon take a backseat to them?

And since the ST and new EU will be bringing more fans in, there's no need to worry about a disgruntled few. Privileging the the new films, TV shows, books, and games is a win win.

6. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Mostly for my own morbid amusement, what part of that is so problematic for you?

Most of those effects simply being character traits in their portrayal in the movie. Yes, the personalities are created ahead of time rather than blank slate, and while that means that Han and Leia can't have a murder happy child, or w/e, none of said characterizations would be jarring to a casual audience who has no reason to expect anything different.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Perhaps because it would legitimize the NJO series?

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sorry, as enjoyable as some of the EU is it's purpose should be to service the film franchise. Once the films have to work around the novels and not the other way around that's when they should go. Just my opinion of course. :)

Artoo-Dion , lbr789, eht13 and 3 others like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's the real tick, isn't it? The movie writers (Lucas/Arndt/Abrams/Kassdan/whoever the heck else is kicking in ideas in story conferences which could be a hellova lot) have to take those personalities into consideration and then write these set personalities, backstory, and history to the story that they're writing. But if they have an idea that they think is great for the movie but it runs headfirst into an established novel history, then they can't do it. It seems pointless to have to box themselves into a concrete history when they can create their own history with only Return of the Jedi as a the last thing people saw and then write the characters and world to that, as opposed to servicing the history that has been established by publishing.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, I don't see a reason why it should be done and have the creative team be restricted by tens of thousands of novel pages instead of just the last 6 movies. The latter of which would allows much more creative freedom to come up with any story they wanted. Heck, this boils down to the production design! ("Hey, check out this design I have for a V-Wing!" "That isn't the V-Wing from Dark Empire. You're fired!" "Oh, but I have this design for this Vong bad guy we need for the flashbac-" "The Vong design has already been established! You're doubly fired again!" "What about my Mara sketch-" "FIRED!") What is best for the story is to base it on the firm established film series groundwork, not on decades of shaky and convoluted publishing. Publishing that no way anyone writing the script would have read and absorbed every word beforehand. Would they have to run every line by the continuity gurus at Lucasfilm to make sure that it synchs up with the EU? How in any way would that make the movie better?

10. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Nor do I, which is probably why I felt confident saying I would

Because I can read and enjoy the expanded universe stories for what they are, and that is stories built around the universe created by George Lucas. I leave the movies out of the equation when it comes to EU because they exist in the realm of the imagination and I like to keep them that way. They're great "what if" stories, and I include the novelizations in that realm as well. The movies are a whole different ball game. The power of George Lucas's storytelling is in the way he weaves mythological, historical, and symbolic elements together within the format of the Saturday Matinee Serial from the 1930's to create entirely unique yet primitively simple stories told in an immensely complex way. If the ST gave too much credence to the other stories that have been built around those movies then I would know the creators had decided to completely dismiss Lucas's singular vision and instead make big budget EU stories, and I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interested in seeing those films or even acknowledging their existence as a part of the saga that George Lucas created.

11. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Though my opinion differs from yours, I concede that's the most succinctly stated and clear reason for that opinion I've seen, so I respect you for it.

Personally I think the benefit is it makes for a much richer universe, one that maintains a uniqueness by having a single universe, rather than the multiverses of basically every other franchise. Much like you don't have to read any of Tolkein's numerous supporting works to understand LOTR or the Hobbit, but knowing what happens in them makes much of them a far more detailed experience. I suppose I'm more attached to the concept than a lot of other posters in this thread simply because that unique detail is something I've always prized highly. And I feel that whatever background is created for the 30 year (or whatever) gap if its no the EU can in no way be as detailed simply because of the time that hasn't been taken to develop it. And I personally feel that's a major loss that would be extremely short-sighted.

Production design may be limited on some things, but who wouldn't love to see a completely new ship? or planet? or trooper? Just don't use an established name for it. No, its no where near as easy, but taking the easy route to writing one of the biggest movie sequels of all time may not be the best approach.

If they do manage to create a powerful sequel without the EU, all power to the writers et al., and I wish them the best of success. But it simply won't be something I'll care about because it won't be the universe I care about, and if they do follow that path, I'm well aware that those of us who did like the current EU will never see any more of it. Alternate universes of Films vs. publishing I could perhaps live with in time. But a reboot is another matter to me.

Apophis_ likes this.
  12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I have no problem accepting Tolkien's supporting works as enhancing his more popular works because that is a singular literary universe created by one author. Having to adapt Star Wars movies around the EU would be akin to Tolkien (if he were still alive) having to factor in the continuity of Peter Jackson's films if he wishes to tell more stories in the universe he created. Do you see why that would be a seriously flawed expectation for anyone to place on such an author?

13. Darth_Henning

Jun 1, 2007
    Technically as the films are an adaptation a little different, but I see your point.

To which I personally believe that if someone agrees to license other people to do works in their literary universe (while they are alive), that they should have enough respect for the other authors/fans of that/those authors' works and responsibility for making that decision that they should be expected to keep in line with them. That though, is a personal opinion which obviously isn't commonly shared (which surprises me).

Apophis_ likes this.
  14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    If Star Wars were purely a literary medium, then there might be more room for debate on that subject, although I would still disagree with you. I've never been able to view works in one author's universe that were made by another author as in any way authentic. But the Star Wars films belong to a totally different medium than the literary one of the EU, which in my mind makes the difference much easier (and even in a way necessary) to distinguish and separate.

15. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    ―Dave Filoni articulates his opinion and treatment of the Expanded Universe

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The hills are alive
    RUN!!!!

Ryus likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The opening crawl should just have every single EU novel plot summary on it. Sure it'll be 674 paragraphs long, but it'll bring the audience up to speed!

18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm working on increasing its length now, up to paragraph 247 now. :p

Dra---, lbr789, DARTH_BELO and 8 others like this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Almost halfway there!

Dra--- and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The hills ARE alive!!! Behold... SPRAGG!!!
    [​IMG]

21. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Nice! I like the mention of the boards at the end too... haha.

Jedi Merkurian and Dra--- like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, that Crawl is straight up lightsaber.

Dra--- likes this.
  23. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, it is totally lightsaber!

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I am in the process of explaining to the SWC social thread regulars why I am in there describing everything as lightsaber. This is quite a movement. Yippee!

Jedi Merkurian and Dra--- like this.
  25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    That is very lightsaber of you... I applaud your effort. We need to keep this alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.