main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Altair You a New One: The Assassin's Creed Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, May 14, 2010.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I genuinely do not care about the Assassin's Order anymore. I do not care about the frame story. This game could have just been UbiSoft Presents: Pirates With an Updated Assassin's Creed Engine and I would have been totally fine with that. Edward's outfit is just...I mean, I get they want visual continuity, but at some point they have to do something to make the characters truly distinct visually. Why would a pirate captain go around in a white hoodie? It was really cool when Connor got the tricorne and the blue outfit when at sea, and it sort of implies that hey, assassins don't all need to wear white because that's a bad way of blending in, having a distinct ages-spanning uniform.

The Animus was nifty with Desmond but now I just don't need it - the story can be told as a normal story now, and future games set in the year 20xx can handle the ramifications of Desmond's actions. It all feels kind of oddly shoehorned now.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I do like that so far, Edward isn't really committed to either side though his "MONEYS NAO FOOLS" personality is thin and shallow. I'm glad they pointed out that he wouldn't helm the Jackdaw himself (it would be boring if he didn't) but so far, yes. Pirates! is more interesting. Interestingly enough, there's more scope for anti-English behavior in this one (I've taken two British ships for my fleet and everything elsehas been preying on the Spanish. The British ships were collateral in a fight with Spain :D). I don't care if it's just a game; a pirate taking on the greatest navy the world has ever known makes no sense.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Just take over the Forts and they become free Zones and you can even lead ships toward the Fort and have it help you in a fight. Also once the Forts are captured more Pirate ships will spawn that will also aid you if you come across them. :)

Try to legendary ships ;)

4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    My forts keep sinking enemy ships before I can board them :(

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Ah somehow it quickly only becomes worth boarding Frigates and Man-O-Wars anyway.

6. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Oh I didn't mean the waters I meant on land. Random red areas that just exist to annoy you basically. Also, I've only ever seen my pirate ships maybe once. The other times I'm all alone but thats ok since I can basically take on infinite ships now that my ship is upgraded so much.

A cheap way is to disable ship 1, board, choose what you want to do (heal, send or decrease) then disable ship 2 rinse repeat, fool proof. Essentially if youre a lower level ship, you could still do this method. Before I was trying to disable all of them first but then found other enemy ships zeroing in on me and making life difficult.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I've tried legendary ships but the only ones I've found are two L50 ships. My shot can't make a dent in their hulls equal to the damage they do me, unless I fire into their stern which given their ridiculous mobilty (a ship of the line outmaneuvering a brig? Whatever) is easier said than done.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah but trail missions have always been somewhat like that, otherwise lots of free areas if you are not on a mission.

It is apparently also possible to actually solo board some ships, just have to be every sneaky about it.

Oh those two are insane, especially once you sink one the other goes into "rage mode", so you need to sink take them down at close to the same time. Morter works pretty well on them though, as does ramming and then broadsiding them with fire shoot as you move away.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    It seems like every single time, I take on a fort, there is always a lightning storm every single time

Volderon and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

In some it is scripted ;)

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    But very annoying ;)

12. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Awesome :D

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Are you kidding? Storms are the best part!

14. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Wait, solo board ships? How does that work?

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK so on the way to Kingston I pulled into a British port that had a warehouse. A beautiful L29 Frigate, HMS Sure Prize was in port with her sails furled. Jackdaw was already a bit damaged from some engagements prior so I wasn't keen to get into a close proximity fight with a vessel sporting 2 gun decks. So I had Edward raid the warehouse, then swim out to Sure Prize and kill the crew in hand to hand. I went back to Jackdaw, fired a chain shot at her mizzen mast, and that was enough for the boarding sign to come up. I took my Prize and sent her back to the fleet.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Swim to a enemy ship and climb it, there ya go, solo boarding :p

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So you just said what I said without any flair? :p

18. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Ha, I did that nice and killed all the crew and nothing happened, I thought that maybe I could capture it just by killing everyone but alas the code wasn't written like that. I didn't know that I would have to get back on the Jackdaw and board it though. I'm kind of happy the AI doesn't spawn again when you board which I wouldn't put past some games.

Gorefiend likes this.
  19. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So I've put 25 hours into this game and I've come upon something I definitely did not expect... boredom.

Everything in this game costs way too much and there is no easy way to acquire money/resources in this game like there were in previous entries. In the past, I would just renovate the Villa/Rome/Constantinople or buy then sell some beaver pelts and I would have enough money to buy everything in the game. Kenway's Fleet doesn't really give you money all that quickly.

So the quickest way to make money is to sink/board ships full of rum and sugar. I've been doing this for the last 15 or so hours, and still haven't got enough all of the Elite upgrades. This is the first AC game to make me grind for money, and it's so bloody dull.

Not to mention that every island/location looks very similar, and that the map is massive so collecting every fragment and chest takes forever with little reward. It feels like the naval grinding has replaced actual side missions. There's the Templar Hunt missions and assassination contracts... and that's it.

So while I'm enjoying the story (both past and present), I'm anchored down by the fact that the naval combat has become repetitive and that's what the game wants me to do the most. Every single naval encounter plays out the same way.

I'm actually going to be putting this game down for a bit and playing something else, which makes this the first Assassin's Creed game I didn't obsessively play to the end.

Why has this game been praised as a return to form after AC3, which I honestly feel is a much better game?

20. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Wait. All you need is money to acquire the elite upgrades??

21. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    You need materials as well but they are fairly easy to acquire. You get 140 metal and wood from a single level 60 Hunter Man O' War, which you can take easily as long as you have your hull and heavy shot upgraded.

22. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm kind of with you on this. It was fun at the beginning because it was new, now I've explored all the islands and am collecting the fragments and chests from all over. Dock, get off, get chests, swim back, undock, etc etc etc for hours.

But I have a ton of money and material and my ship is almost fully upgraded so I don't know how you don't have money? I've even sunk some cash into my hideout and whatnot. I'm only on sequence 8 (as I don't want to rush the game I want to complete everything I can first otherwise i won't finish it ever). But I kind of wish for AC3 at times its true. I can only tail and hide in grass so many times.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    AC has this serious problem with making everything tedious and not fun. In AC3, trade and building up the homestead should have been a fun thing like renovating Monteregionni, but instead was just this incredibly dull 18th century economics simulator. I do not want to simulate economics in a game about free running and stabbing :p

Darth_Invidious and Volderon like this.
  24. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    LOL youre very right. I'm half done collecting the uncharted chests and fragments and you start to see how every little island is essentially the same. Every little island has the same tree, same plants, same chest position and almost same fragment position most of the time.

I'm trying to figure out whats been missing from the past two entries and I can't put my finger on it. What do you think it is? Is it the time periods?

But I do know this, if the next one has naval combat I am not gonna get it. I'll be burnt out on it after I finish this one.

25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I think it's that they nailed it in AC2 - it had just the right amount of stuff in it that it remained fun and engaging. Brotherhood, too, to a lesser extent. The issue is that UbiSoft's entire business strategy is to make games and then franchise them when they do well. This means annual iterations, because people will keep buying even if it's just a new coat of paint. You're saying you're burnt out on naval combat? UbiSoft is already doing market research to see if they can make a pirate game without assassins and if it will sell.

I mean, look at Revelations - ostensibly one of the better games, right? But consider that it had everything good from the previous games, tweaked and altered, and then they added a rudimentary crafting system and tower defence - two things on the market that make money. UbiSoft (at least with the AC franchise) knows they have an audience, so now it's just a matter of cramming the games full of stuff, even if it's bad stuff or half-baked. Mind you, this is just how I see it, but there's some truth to this. You look at Splinter Cell as a franchise, and the first three games were just progressively better - and then they just start adding too much and changing things up too often. Blacklist is a good game, however, and it's given me cause to think that there are at least some people at the company who know how to handle a franchise.

TL;DR - Assassin's Creed is pretty unfocused these days and needs more time to stew and develop.