main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thoughts on the KOTOR and KOTOR:War Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Force Smuggler

Ah ok lol. Sorry, I got confused.

I think I would prefer if Zayne stays out of galactic events. Just goes about living a normal life as it were. Helping "the little guy" and what not.

2. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    KOTOR was one of the best SW stories every written. War has grown on me. JJM is a solid writer. He was at the top of his game during KOTOR.

3. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    So I imagine you all would like to see KOTOR comics return? Or a novel perhaps?

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yes.

Yes we would

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Absolutely.

7. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013

LOL i did the same exact post. i guess i should have put thoughts on the whole series.

but a series as a whole, its the BEST SW comic series of all time.

Zayne and Gryph always had funny dialogue between one another and i always more humor in sw comics and never truly got it until this series and also Tag and Bink (hilarious series).

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    One of the best, if not THE best character chemistry in SW comics yet.

Revanfan1, Nobody145, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  9. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013

TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This is basically my thoughts as well, save that I actually have read War and I regret not being able to get that time and money back. War is one of the worst Star Wars comics of recent memory.

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I liked the final third of the series quite a bit. The arc where Zayne infilrated the Crucible was one of the best of the entire series. As great as it is that JJM has switched over to prose, I'd love to see another Zayne miniseries pop up every couple of years. Serial adventures, a la Indiana Jones. Dammit, I still need to read the Knight Errant comics.

Chewbacca89 and spicer like this.
  12. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    This was never going to happen. We did play upon some coincidences in connection with the games, yes -- most obviously, in the case of Darth Sion -- but that was partially me trying to put the reader in the Covenant Masters' shoes. The readers knew enough about the future to start drawing some connections -- but not enough to always make the right ones.

So, no, Zayne is Zayne. (That Gryph guy, on the other hand, is not to be trusted.)

Slater, Gorefiend, Nobody145 and 9 others like this.
  13. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Since I haven't been a regular reader of JCF, could you explain what you mean by Darth Scion a bit?

14. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    There was a lot of speculation that either Lucien or Haazen would be revealed to be Darth Sion. (Zayne as Nihilus and Krynda as Kreia were other theories, as I recall).

15. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Ah I see.

(and right now I also just saw who's post I quoted...I really need to remember to read names. Thought that was a question to a general forum member...oops)

16. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Great! Thanks for the reply Mr. Miller :)

17. GreatBeyonder

GreatBeyonder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    I personally consider the comics far superior to the game's plot.

18. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I got Vol 10: War as a gift and I was pretty lost as I wasn't familiar with the KOTOR comics and had no idea what they were about (I thought they were about the game ). I gave it another chance and I do like the story plot in this volume and the characterization of Zayne along with the Mandos. Here he is actually fighting on both sides (Jedi and Mando).
    I'm pretty selective when it comes to comics...if it doesn't have particular species I like, forget it :p I might give the other volumes a chance though based on the comments here.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You've read easily the weakest arc of the series, consider grabbing Omnibus 1 and you might be more impressed.

MercenaryAce and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    KOTOR 1? Maybe. The comic has a tighter focus and better exploration of (some of) the characters, and doesn't suffer from the OT-rehashing that parts of KOTOR 1 do, but at the same time playing KOTOR 1 felt like you were much more part of this expansive universe. Which isn't a dig at the comic, it's just the nature of the two mediums of storytelling. Plus, nothing in the comic really had the emotional resonance (for me at least) of the Revan reveal. Yeah, it was perhaps predictable - but I would argue the Demagol/Rohlan reveal was far more predictable than the Revenlation was. Same with the Gryph being alive reveal.

So KOTOR 1 vs. KOTOR comic, in terms of quality, I'd say you could go either way...But KOTOR 2? Nope, the comic has nothing on that. Truncated or not, buggy or not, that second game is one of the best works in the entire EU.

spicer and DigitalMessiah like this.
  21. GreatBeyonder

Dec 6, 2013

Concerning the Demagol twist, I think it was intended to be obvious from the beginning. The real twist wasn't revealing who Rohlan Dyre was, but rather, revealing who Demagol was. (I've read the series three times and I still never see it coming, even though its setup extremely early.)

But I agree wholeheartedly that KOTOR2 was just brilliant, and I am deeply saddened it has little to no relevance on later works, especially TOR.

22. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Agreed.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Am I the only person who never really cared about the Revan reveal? I was like, "Yep, that makes sense," and then kept playing.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't remember if I had it spoiled or not but it wasn't groundbreaking if it wasn't spoiled.

25. GreatBeyonder

Dec 6, 2013
    I saw it coming, and knew I would I would be irritated if I was right. And I was irritated. Drew Karpyshyn;s writing has never been that subtle...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.