main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Kran Starborn likes this.
  2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The Batman Chronicles, Tales of the Demon, Year One, The Man Who Laughs, Turning Points, Batman and the Monster Men, Joker, Planetary/Batman, Broken City, Red Rain, The Return of Bruce Wayne and Batman Incorporated.

3. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Pre-new 52 batman inc. or post new 52 batman inc. which is currently an ongoing series or both?

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Both. Well actually the post new 52 is two collections so all three.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Went on a comic book binge for a bit. I forgot all about Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe. Longshot is one of those characters that suffers from too many hands. I suppose it gives writers room to play but that leads to huge inconsistancies as to how his powers work and their extent. Regardless, this is a fun couple of issues so far.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Reading Saga is always one of the best times of the month. I can't say it enough: start buying and reading it right now.

Frank T. and Darth-Lando like this.
  7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I've got a 40% off Black Friday sale going on at one store, all day. A 50% at another, but only for a few hours. I'd rather not have to deal with huge lines. The store that's doing the 40% off used to do that up until two years ago and then stopped. A wise decision. I'll swing by Half Price Books and get myself some stuff as well.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Hmmm, forgot all about potential comicbook store Black Friday sales.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Probably should have reminded people. Well, the next big sale for me is FCBD. One store gives away five to ten of their own personal stock. I always take someone with me to get as many as I can. You should also keep an eye out for sidewalk sales.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    How to entice without spoiling? If you want good one liners, Wolf-Cap, Wolverine Lord of vampires, Iron Titanium, and Kraven with the Phoenix Force, get your hands on Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe #3.

11. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I have my copy but somehow missed issue #2. :( I'm gonna go on a search tomorrow! Luckily I have 6 LCS within 5 miles of home so odds are good that I can find a copy.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Some used book stores may also have a used comic book section in them depending on the size of the store.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The only comics I've ever seen were the paperback sized collections that were popular in the 70's and early 80's. I managed to get one which had some Neil Adams Batman comics.

14. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I had one that was a condensed version of Superman's Pre-Crisis history.

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Might be "World Of Krypton" you're thinking off. The three issue series from 1979 was adapted into that format. I had read it in early 1986. The library at the elementary school I was attending had a copy and I remember checking it out and reading it.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    2000AD Catalogue for 2014 here

Nikolai Dante Volume 2 and the infamously out of print Volume 3 are both getting re-issued! Do not miss the opportunity - grab Volume 1 then preorder these two. It is one of the most ambitious and most entertaining stories I know and is only 11 volumes, which it packs a huge amount into!

17. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    Almost finished with finals and christmas break is about to start...I'm looking to start reading some new comics, specifically Star Wars. Anyone got any recommendations? I've only read Jango Fett Open Seasons and Star Wars: Jango Fett. I know, pretty pitiful. I'd also be open to reading some new batman too, I've read plenty but still have a lot of catching up to do.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I recently got in a mood and decided to dust off the DC Archive Editions of Golden Age Wonder Woman. Currently revisiting her adventures with the Holliday Girls. Brilliant.

19. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    For new Batman check out Volume 1 The Court of Owls followed by City of Owls and then Death of the Family. Some good stuff there.

Some older Batman would be Hush, The Long Halloween and The Black Mirror are very good reads.

As for Star Wars, Legacy is a good one. Its a big series (50 issues) so it'll take some time and I don't know if you have time for that? But thats one of the best ones. And just plain old fashioned "Star Wars" by Brian Wood is pretty good and there isn't many issues out. You can get the first trade and check it out!

thebeanpole likes this.
  20. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013

Thanks, ah yeah I've been interested in Court of Owls for a while now. Gonna have to check that one out. I've read Hush and Long Halloween, so I'm more familiar with the older stuff than the newer stuff. I feel really in the dark with anything that came after Morrison's first run.

And yeah I think I might start reading Legacy, don't think I can get it all read but I can at least try to crack a big dent in it.

21. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    If you enjoy Court of Owls you'll love The Black Mirror. The writer, Scott Snyder, is the writer of the current new 52 bat books and I believe TBM is better than his Owls and current stuff. The mystery and art is top notch. It even has Gordon centric issues. Plus its Dick Grayskn as Batman and it was pretty fantastic.

thebeanpole likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh. Black Mirror beats Court of Owls easy!

23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've been avoiding Batman comics just because I wanted to look at more obscure superhero properties that I knew little/nothing about. With DC that was pretty much everyone except Superman and Batman.

Most recently I grabbed All-Star Western, vol 1 and Teen Titans, vol 1 from the New 52 relaunch digitally from DC's website during the Cyber Monday deal. As well as the Golden Age of the Sith omnibus from Darkhorse.

Haven't gotten around to All-Star Western yet, am not far into Teen Titans, and pretty much was not enjoying GAotS at all, I found it incredibly boring.

I also recently started picking up issues of the 2013 Star Wars title by Brian Wood, which I've found enjoyable.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If you like All-Star Western, consider checking out the Jonah Hex run that precedes it from the same creative team.

TaradosGon likes this.
  25. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    All caught up finally! This series is amazeballs.

VadersLaMent likes this.