main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I saw that vlog on TGWTG.com as well, and they pretty much hit the nail on the head. The vlog of Doug and Rob Walker also got the right points down, so yeah.

What convinced me to see Frozen was two things. One, the remembrance of how the marketing of Tangled was pure buttocks yet the movie itself was excellent. And two, the second, more traditional trailer. Seriously, it cannot be overstated that Disney's marketing person needs to be fired already. On the other hand, maybe it depends on the movie. Wreck-It Ralph's trailers were pretty on the dot, so maybe they just reserve those for the Princess movies? The next one, Big Hero 6, may likely go the same way.

For Bolt, I feel it could've been far worse. It's IMO one of the better entries of the Dark Age solely because of the story. I didn't think it'd turn out as good as it did when you have a bizarre pairing like Miley Cyrus and John Travolta headlining the movie. Probably for the best since I recall watching it at the equivalent of a $2 theater.

I agree with you there. The Great Mouse Detective ties with the Rescuers Down Under as one of the most underrated Disney films. The production values actually looked good for its time, the story was entertaining, Basil and Rattigan were entertaining, and that climax was tons of fun. Theeeeeen next came Oliver and Company, which I liked a kid, but now I find it pretty meh.

I personally wouldn't say it's one of the best, but it's one of the better ones. For me, probably in my top 20. What I like of Tarzan is the story and animation. All the tree sequences are fun to watch. And it made for a really fun minigame in Kingdom Hearts. IIRC, Tarzan was the last time Disney won an Academy Award. I hope Frozen will give them that much deserved second wind.

Speeeeeeeeaking of Frozen. For those who don't want to watch it, THIS will probably change your mind. And for those who can't, this is one of thing's you'll be seeing when you see it on home release.

2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    We should do one of those giant lists we used to do for albums and such but about Disney songs. Top 100 Disney songs or something.

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Uh...no...?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It does have Donald Duck.

5. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    It's also got Daffy Duck. What's your point?

6. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Given the wide variety of characters there, Roger Rabbit is as much a Disney movie as it is a Warner Bros movie. I'd say it occupies its own special little place when we try to classify Disney movies.

As for Top 100 Disney Songs....hoooooooooo boy that is a difficult one. I can't even make my own Top 5 of that one because of the wide variety. Maybe if we go by different classifications of that as well? Top 5 intro songs, villain songs, "I want" songs, "Reprises", "Cover" songs, scores, etc?

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just throwing that out there.

8. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Great. Now it's all over the carpet.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Uh...yes...?

Walt Disney purchased the rights to Who Framed Roger Rabbit in 1981

So yes it's a Disney movie

10. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    It's a Touchstone/Amblin movie. I suppose you are also in the camp that Pixar make Disney movies, and I guess the Marvel Studios productions are also Disney movies. Disney didn't produce it, they just own it.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Great Mouse Detective is criminally underrated. Vincent Price made that movie. The final fight is pure nightmare fuel too.

12. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I don't typically rate "Disney movies" as a category--as their genres vary wildly and what, exactly, do we have to compare, say, Aladdin to Oliver and Co.? The songs?--but Mouse Detective was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

13. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001

Most of those categories I think would leave out "It's a Small World" and "The Tiki Tiki Tiki Room. Maybe it's a list that would require a lot of debate and reminding before even sending in ballots.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Villain songs, title songs, hero songs could be some of the categories.

15. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I just recently re-watched this one for the first time since I was a kid, and while I was enjoying it, I didn't think it was anything fantastic. Then I got to the scene where Ratigan has Basil and Dawson tied up in his death trap. And he wrote a whole song about it. And it's awesome. Then they escape and smile for the camera. I was rolling on the floor cracking up. This scene alone makes the whole movie worth it.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Great Mouse Detective is a good movie for sure, but it's not up there with the likes of Pinocchio & The Lion King and the other classics of Disney. Disney made some solid movies during the 70s and 80s, but the reason it was seen as a decline is that the standard overall went down (in a movie like Robin Hood you can tell they are re-suing backgrounds and stuff from other movies to save money) as well as the critical reception.

17. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Just because it's good doesn't mean it has to be amazing.

That's the way I approach Disney and whatever new movie comes out. Judging it on its own merits without comparing it to others. That's the problem with a lot of these reviewers when something new for Disney comes out. They ALWAYS have to compare it to something else that came before.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is it just me, or is The Fox and the Hound ****ing depressing?

Ghost likes this.
  21. HL&S

Oct 30, 2001
    Indeed. Even if they stayed friends, the average lifespan of a fox in the wild is 3 years.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It could've been worse, the original book is apparently a kill 'em all.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The White Album and Abbey Road are Michael Jackson records.

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis likes this.
  25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Damn! Depressing book.