main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Thoughts on the KOTOR and KOTOR:War Comics

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Nov 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I agree on KOTOR 2. I hope we'll get another SW game with such a complex story and interesting characters again.

2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I did like the characters, and seeing how everything related in terms of the videogame. But I was very confused by the story. Like why did Haazen return to working for the Drays? Why did Lucien go unpunished for the murder of the padawans? How did the Covenant control such a large amount of Jedi? I just got lost in the fray. Then don't get me started about the Crucible story.

3. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Hazen returned to work for the Drays so he could have access to Jedi to do his bidding to collect Sith artifacts, along with the financial benefits they had. Lucien went unpunished because no one believed Zayne, and as you said the Covenant controlled a large faction of Jedi. By the time Zayne cleared his name Lucien had departed for his secret moon. The Covenant controlled so many Jedi because the Dray family was training them outside the Order and manipulating them under their control (most of this seems to be the work of Haazen). What was wrong with the Crucible story?

These are just my assumptions based on what I extracted from the story. Perhaps JohnJacksonMiller could shed more light on this?

4. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    But Lucien was soundly defeated at the end of the storyline. Why was he allowed to steal away to some secret moon?

Concerning the Crucible: Why was Zayne so easily able to slip in and out of Crucible grounds?

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No one knew Lucien survived.

6. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Is that said in the comic??

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    He was like BDZed with the estate. No one could have survived but he had the gauntlet.

Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Sorry for asking so many questions: Why was Mama Dray such a biatch to her son?

9. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea everyone thought that Lucien died.

She was changed by the war and the loss of her husband. As a former vet, I can vouch that war really changes you and your ability to treat others well.

Zayne was able to slip in and out because Crucible let him.

10. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    All your explanations are correct. And, yes, Chantique, having poisoned Zayne's mind against Jarael, wanted him to return to her.

"War" does stand apart in intent: Dark Horse was interested in trying a solo Zayne story, and it happened to fit with what I had in mind for the next phase of his life anyway. We could and did step away from the Mandalorian Wars for some freelance adventuring post-Vindication, but moving into 3962, we knew the conflict was simply too hot and too close to sidestep. My plan was that he'd obtain an official military capacity, much as Indiana Jones had after Pearl Harbor: "War" provided the transition. That doesn't necessarily put the rest of the cast on the bench for the duration of hostilities, though; should it someday be taken up again in some format, I expect familiar faces would return in a more active role. (And no, there are no plans -- the plate is pretty full! -- but it would be fun to come back to at some point.)

11. GreatBeyonder

GreatBeyonder Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    JohnJacksonMiller I love how, even though Lord Arkoh Adasca, Darth Hayze, and Antos Wyrick are really only on stage for a few issues apiece, they each have the most deliciously over-the-top schemes to TAKE OVER THE GALAXY that suddenly has every faction scrambling together at a moment's notice. SW has many excellent, theatric baddies, but rarely do you see three in one story so tightly paced, and in such quick succession! Such a ride!

Revanfan1 and Chewbacca89 like this.
  12. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Thanks. One of the great story opportunities about this timeframe was that the Sith-Jedi chess game was just one part of another game that included a lot of different players.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Something quite surprising here - I'm a big TOTJ fan, but know what? If I'm honest, I think KOTOR has supplanted it - that and I really like Ostrander's more detailed examination of the dark side in the Vos stories, over what TOTJ did. I also really liked KOTOR's expansion of the conflict with Kun. At the same time, I'd see KOTOR as having the better character ensemble too.

14. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013
    I think most people know this already but KOTOR Omnibus 3 is set to release April 30th but here is my video that breaks down the details of the KOTOR Omnibus Volume 3 and other upcoming SW Books as well.

15. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013
    I recently posted a new vid here, to give you a first look at KOTOR Omnibus Volume 2. I recieved my copy 1-2 days ago and have been absolutely loving it. A must buy at Amazon.

Check it out here:

My review for this Omnibus will come shortly.

Enjoy :)

16. Django Fett33

Jul 19, 2013
    Hello Everyone,

Just on time for Christmas, here is my NO SPOILER review for KOTOR Omnibus Volume 2.

Please enjoy the video.
    I only hope that Youtube doesnt flag my vid for featuring clips of music, it would be far less entertaining without it, if that happens ill have to remove this vid and create a new one without music, but anyway....

I want to wish everyone
    Happy Holidays!

17. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I would have liked more Kotor comics but I am fine with the way it ended...even with War kinda starting it again and ending it again sorta.

18. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    So I just started reading these comics and I wanted to share some impressions on the first story arc. This is from my locked review thread. I was told to put my impressions in already existing review threads. I hope this is what was meant. If not; I'm sorry.

Zayne is a great character and I instantly began to like him. I'm enjoying the concept of him being a weak Jedi. All to often we are dealing with the best of the best; this time our protagonist is better suited for the Jedi Service Corps. At the same time, he is not incompetent. His managing to escape the masters took some skill. Also, it was his initiative that led him to discovering the reason behind the massacre. So I feel that John Jackson Miller struck a good balance with him.

I also find his companions to be likeable. Right now Gryph stands out the most. I enjoyed the dialogue between him and Zayne. Jareal is interesting and it was nice to see her rescue Zayne in the end. I look forward to seeing her character development. Overall, I'm surprised at how well these issues handled their cast.

This is one of the only stories that feature Jedi as antagonists, while keeping them believable. They are definitely bad, but their motives are fitting for Jedi- albeit corrupted ones. There vision provided a fun read. Having played the KOTOR games we know that they are seeing the betrayal of Revan and Malak. So their interpretation is completely off. It shows how being so fanatical about stopping a threat leads to over sites, rash judgements, and cruelty. They are turning out to be decently complex antagonists and I can't wait to see where the story takes them.

Lastly, I enjoy the setting. I am a big fan of the video games, so it's fun to be back in that setting. We get to hear of things referenced in the games and that's fun. I also like that it doesn't focus on the Mandalorian Wars, because we know how the conflict turns out. I'm sure we will see some battles, but our main characters aren't at the forefront of the conflict, at least not yet. By doing this it allows for more mystery and excitement. Sure it would be fun to see something like Revan's fall, but we know the result. Zayne's story is completely unknown and he's such a unique character. All and all, this story arc has left me wanting to read more.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finally read most of the 3rd volume Omnibus of KOTOR. Very good series. Haven't read War since it came out but the series proper wrapped itself up very well. Zayne, Gryph and Jarael are one of the best trio's in SW.

Iron_lord, spicer and Zorrixor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.