main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    While on your way to buy more War Bonds to kill damn Nazzees!

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Oh, hai...

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Ahem. That's a scene from the extended tv version and is cut from the theatrical release. Not sure if it's included in the DVD, because I don't own it. It's not present in the Donner cut either. What's even worse is that in the Donner cut, a previously cut scene has been reinstated wherein Superman destroys the fortress immediately afterwards, without the audience being given any hints of where Luthor is.[face_laugh]

Volderon likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It is on the DVD under the deleted scenes section. And you actually see the Arctic Patrol driving off as Superman and Lois are flying from the Fortress, in the Donner Cut.

Otis was a byproduct of the Salkinds and Puzo. But in terms of subject matter, it deals in destiny and what it means to be Superman to the world. Clark is given the task of using his powers to help human kind, but then he turns his back on his calling because of his feelings for Lois. It illustrates the kinds of sacrifices that Clark has to make as Superman.

5. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Well, there you go. It's in the deleted scenes section. So it was clearly not deemed necessary for the finished cut as it stands, which is kind of disturbing. You can select an option to watch it with the deleted scenes put back in, right?

The Donner Cut, I actually do have on my laptop and I checked for reference right now after reading your post, but didn't see it on my copy. Are you sure about this?

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    There's no branching method on "Superman II". That kind of DVD format pretty much stopped back around 2004. I think that "Ray" was one of the last DVD's to do this. You have to actually stop the film, go to the menu and then watch it from there. Which is what I do.

Yes, it is there. It's the part where the trucks are driving off and you see the wide shot of the Fortress. Look at the bottom of the screen. It is really quick, but it is there. The last two seconds of the deleted scene that was posted above, it what's in the Donner Cut.

7. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I honestly can't find it. :confused:

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    You should probably watch it on television then. It is definitely there.

9. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    As a kid watching Superman II it never really crossed my mind that maybe they were dead. They just got thrown down a hole...thats as far as it goes when youre a kid really.

But when youre an adult youre like...huh...maybe they died. Yeah it might be in the extended and donner cut but if it isn't in the theatrical version then youre led to believe they died if theres no mention of it.

Plus, that scene...why even throw them down a pit to begin with? Theyre depowered and no longer a threat, so whats the reasoning behind that?

10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    You'd assume that was done to demonstrate a concrete defeat, though admittedly why they couldn't simply have attacked Reeverman en masse resulting in epic failure is beyond me. I'd have to assume it was done that way to give the impression they were killed or removed forever as a threat to Superman on the world at large.

11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Boy....that tuba. That's. Just awful.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Well, even so, remember the original plan:

1) We get the scene we got (or at least something similar).
    2) We see them clearly being led out and arrested (to the point where Singer wanted Superman Returns to show Zod in jail) and not dead.
    3) The time-travel / turn back time plot was supposed to be used at this point to undo all of the damage and reset the world.

At no point was the plan to have them die and was explicitly covered twice by Donner to ensure this. The Lester cut is what threw everything out of whack after Donner was fired, with Hackman leaving, etc.

If you even look at a literal-reading of the CURRENT cut, Superman leaves Lex Luthor alone in the Arctic without any transportation, clothing, food, etc. As well as leaving him unattended in the Fortress...

13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999

As is the entire scene. Hell, the entire movie. Yeah, I'm seriously ******* on Superman 2. I so don't care for this particular piece of my childhood.

14. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I've said before, but there are a few good moments in S-2; Christopher Reeve's stare is probably the most memorable element of the film for me. The rest of it, especially the opening, feels a lot more like a telemovie.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    God I hated the opening of S2.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As much as I adored those first 2 films as a child, I could still watch the "Hi there. Something wrong with the elevator?" scene ad infinitum without ever feeling an urge to return to either film for an entire viewing.

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I'd say the same from roughly the beginning of Marlon Brando's instruction of his son at the Fortress through to Superman's first night on the job. Would've made a lovely mini-episode. :D

18. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    One thing that bothered me, he spent 12 consecutive years in the fortress without any contact with his mom? Come on now Supes thats coooooold.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Pfft she wasn't his real mom.

20. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    No, his Mom was still mad at him for taking the family car out and not filling it up on his return. Those sorts of things hurt your parents.

21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm sure Clark visited his Mom at some point. Remember, this was back when Superman was a hopeful, friendly, non-angst-ridden boy scout who cares about everybody.

22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Since it had been previously established in that same movie that a de-powered and practically unprotected Clark Kent can walk across the polar wastes to the Fortress of Solitude and not be harmed, I'm sure that they would be OK. Even if they weren't immediately arrested, as shown in the TV print.

In any case, I greatly prefer the original over the sequels and/or reboots.

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I loved this movie! Easily the best Superman film ever. I did enjoy Reeve's first two, but they just don't hold up well against the test of time.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How? That's ridiculous. Of course the first one holds up - it's still the best comic book film ever made.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Mostly it was a visual of them being sent back to hell.

That's because this is a fan edit to include Lex's theme. It isn't present in the finished version.

Which version are we talking about?