main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The answer is that the script was written by morons.

2. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Thats what I thought.

Basically, the movie looked pretty but thats it. "Hur dur maybe if its all purty no 1 will no the movie sux u think?"

J.J...whatever you did for STID, do the opposite for SW. K thx.

Sarge likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It arbitrarily displayed regenerative properties for everything up to massive cellular death and Genesis capabilities, despite not possessing that ability before the timeline split. No explanation was given.

Nor was Bones properly excited about solving death.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It makes sense that Augments would have better healing capabilities (key word being better, not 100% effective). That does not equal their blood being magic resurrection juice, or that it would work on someone with completely different DNA (and a ****ing tribble).

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    But it's only Khan's blood yes? Otherwise McCoy wouldn't need him. So what makes Khan special compared to his other augments? Because hes Khan?

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ...as far as anyone knew.

Overheard on the internet:

"Star Wars fans, he's your problem now."

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think the movie just kind of forgot that the rest of Khan's crew were augments too.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think it's pretty clear that "I shall avenge you" means the dude is dead (from far less than total cellular decay from radiation) and not "I will avenge you... until you recuperate or I inject my blood in you!"

Maybe I'm daft that way... :p

9. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    When I first saw it and Kirk was irradiated I was thinking "oh there's no genesis device so how will they make him come back?"And I was devising clever scenarios in my head during it but then it turned out to be blood and I was like wut. I was even thinking we might get a search for Spock kind of third film but no. We got search for Spock in 5 minutes or less.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They telegraphed it way too early with the tribble experiment- even the... common-minded folk (to put it nicely) sitting behind me figured out the answer when Kirk died.

It was just so arbitrarily inserted.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Agreed and thats why I was thinking they might not go for the easy way out but...they did.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So is Kirk a superhuman now that can jump really high and crush people's faces making hilariously disgusting sounds in the process?

13. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    They should have let him sleeeeeeeeep

14. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    "The tribble's dead. A standard medical specimen. I'm injecting Khan's platlets into the deceased tissue .... You wnat me to figure out what makes the sunavbitch tick? I'm figuring."

It was, impossibly, alive .... which suggested that ....

As he closed the communication, he found Carol gazing at him intently. "What about bringing one of the other members of Khan's crew out of cyrosleep? Even if they don't revive ... properly ... it's not their opinions we need."

"Too risky. I think this might work with Khan. I don't know how much alike he and his crew are, and I don't have time to find out. If there's even the slightest unresolved difference between their respective physiologies, then we might be doing nothing but wasting our time ... It's Khan-or nothing."

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Is that from the script? If so, cutting out the latter part of the tribble line explaining why he was doing the tribble experiment was an awful editing decision...

Volderon and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    The novelization. But, yeah, it would have been nice if they had put that in the film instead of just leaving it for Alan D. Foster to explain.

17. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    JJ did not write the script. I liked hte movie well enough, but the new kids would be behooved if they would stay very far away from previous things done better. A huge universe, there is no sense in recapping anything. Where is Harry Mudd?

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    This is easily the best Star Trek movie. Even Khan agrees with me

[​IMG]

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It looks like he's jerking off. Worst Trek movie.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Left forgotten amongst other things only discussed out of nostalgic bemusement over how awful they are.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Khan, I'm laughing at the "superior intellect."

Sarge likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really.

This again presumes that there was even a continuity issue to begin with. The fact that the director and the actor didn't see it that way should tell you something.

What plot hole? That's your problem, there is none where you make it one. Changing a character's ethnicity is not a plot hole, it is fanboy gripe. I don't see Marvel producing a "Thor" movie tie-in comic explaining why Heimdal was black and not white. So why is Khan special and not him?

Incoherent? How? As to the rest, it isn't about dismissing people who disagree with me. It's about acknowledging that this whole argument is really one great big case of nitpicking. I mean, okay, I can understand disliking whitewashing. But come on, enough to make a comic book out of it? This is all about fanboys and you can think I'm pathetic because I don't suck at the teet of the fanboy base, but this is really a weak argument if you stop to think about it as a rational person.

There doesn't have to be documented motivations. It is called common sense. Common sense tells you that the hardcore fans will buy anything Trek and to appease them, which is documented thanks to the whole time travel/parallel universe storyline, that they're turning nothing into something.

Kirk is white, Spock is white/green, Uhura is African American and Sulu is Asian. I'd say they look the same. Now, if Kirk was Mexican then you'd have an argument about not looking the same.

Uh, they did confirm this in interviews and on the DVD and Blu-Ray release. They didn't want to upset the fanbase, hence coming up with the whole Spock storyline to justify rebooting the franchise.

Being an Augment, they're supposed to represent the most perfect type of human imaginable. Obviously, this was to including having strong regenerative abilities.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    One thing that bothered me is that Kirk and friends wipe out an entire Klingon scouting party, yet there is almost no mention of it again by the end of the movie. No repercussions or anything on the potential of war. Would Trek 3 possibly cover that aspect?

24. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    Bull and **** are the words to you.

25. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Maybe but they're all happy and off on a 5 year journey. Kind of defeats the purpose of that if the Klingons invade. (Assuming this is basically TOS). If they were going the route of the Klingons attacking Id want to keep the flagship close to Earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.