main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why did James Marsden choose to play SR rather than have more scenes in X3? He pretty much played the same role in Superman Returns, the love rival of a super famous hero, and there were even few people support some nephew of Perry White to get Lois Lane from Superman.

2. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I think he wanted both because his schedule permitted both, but didn't realize Fox would be so petty and quick to discard the character. Some of the blame falls on Singer for asking his good friend to join him on SR. Also he's essentially the one who set up Cyclops as a discarded character by X3 by gutting the character from the middle of the second film. Sure he might have had a plan to bring his character back into the spotlight in his version of X3, but by leaving...

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But Singer didn't give him a good role in Superman Returns, either. I mean, some original character who tried to marry Lois when Superman still loves her so much, it's even worse than Cyclops' case.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Also, there was a lot of hope for SR- first Superman film in almost 20 years, with what we thought to be a sure bet as a director in Singer, coming off of X-Men and X2. Knowing what we do now, maybe it wasn't the best call- but at the time, Routh was the next Christopher Reeve.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh god. I never checked the actor's name and I didn't relize Cyclops was in Superman Returns until just now. [face_laugh]

"Have you been smoking?"

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    The cast was quite awesome beside Lois.

Back to X-Men, will Cyclops be related with Sinister and his master in the 2016 movie?

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Nobody knows since there are no details available for the movie

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    But you have to remember at the time, everybody thought Superman Returns was going to be the first in at least a trilogy of films for Brandon Routh's Superman, so who knows where Marsden's SR character might have ended up if those sequels had gone forward instead of DC/WB going for a full fledged reboot with MOS.

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I never think it would succeed, Reeve was gone(It's so sad), and Singer was trying to "copy" him rather than go his own way. Routh wasn't playing Superman, he was playing "Reeve's Superman", he got the role because he looks like Reeve.

And since Singer didn't treat Cyclops well enough, why would he give such a guy justice?

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    James's SR role actually was pretty good if you think about- most movies would make him out to be a bad guy/Jerk Boyfriend (or the flip side comedic wimp or humorless stiff) the audience would root for Lois to dump for Superman or Kent.

Instead they made him a pretty decent guy who was capable of human-scale heroic moments. It wasn't your usual take on such characters and added some dimension and depth to the love triangle. Or at least more than one would typically expect.

Compared to being a sidelined team leader, one could see why Marsden would find it an appealing role.

Of course it's really just another thing to blame Fox over.

Arawn_Fenn and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Still people dislike him because he tried to marry Superman's girl, like some people dislike Cyclops for being the love rival of Wolverine.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think there were bigger things to dislike about Superman Returns.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    A certain spoiler report that has been doing the rounds suggested so.

16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah...spoilers when there's possibly not even a final script yet. :rolleyes:

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    He has alien technology, but deep down he's as human as those he tries to destroy. That is the strange irony of the character, and why he works so well because he reflects real-life despot types who are really just big hypocrites in denial.

We don't need him to be alien, that is what Thanos was created for.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. It was a very believable report of an earlier version of the script, though. You can see why people were getting worried and why Singer deemed necessary to do some damage control.

19. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Now if only he were so kind to NOT include Mr. Sinister or any of that nonsense so favored by others here... :p

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'd be okay with Pocky having a lackey called Essex.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Lemme think, which one would I prefer? Ozymandias the living sandstone guy or Essex the pliable leather-fetish freak. Decisions, decisions...

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Never liked Ozymandias, honestly.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I have no issue with Sinister being in it, he's a great character. The only thing is he is slightly redundant with Apocalypse being there since they really have the same goals and Big A has the same powers +more.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Me neither. I find him to be 1,000x times more ridiculous than Essex.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So....who should play Apocalypse?