main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Alien: Isolation

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by spicer, Oct 22, 2013.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/21/4861328/alien-isolation-trademark-filed-by-20th-century-fox

http://kotaku.com/source-the-next-aliens-game-stars-ellen-ripleys-daugh-1449318113

A new game in the Alien franchise, made by Creative Assembly.

Personally I don't like it if the rumor is true that Amanda Ripley (Ellen Ripleys daughter) is the main character in this game. Also clones? Seriously? The alien franchise is my favorite along with Star Wars, and A: CM was a huge disappointment for me. I hope this time it won't be the same.

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    After deciding to destroy Aliens canon by bringing back you-know-who with no reasonable explanation in Colonial Marines, I have absolutely zero faith in this game.

I'll wait for reviews. We really can't trust anything they show us, as it might not be in the actual game.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  3. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

First images.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What? No images of a Xeno?

5. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    There's a xeno silhouette on the helmet in the first picture.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Is this going to be a sequel to A:CM? I'm not sure of the timeline or where A:CM is supposed to fit in. If it doesn't have anything to do with A:CM then I'd be tempted. I've played a few Alien games and I really liked them, so I can still hope that this will be good too.

7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    It's not related to A: CM (thank God for that). Since you asked, A: CM is taking place after Aliens and Alien 3. Very little is known for this game thus far, so we wait and see I guess...

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

I see it now.

9. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. Colonial Marines was doomed to suck. It was officially revealed before the 360 and PS3 launched and was thrown between developers in a desperate attempt to make it work.

This game, however, seems to be being developed on a pretty tight schedule and is going down a route I don't think any Alien game has in the past, it's being based off of the first movie. And if they nail the world building and atmosphere of the games that are inspiring this one (Bioshock and Dishonoured) you could end up with a richly detailed, spine tingling survival horror game.

That being said I find Creative Assembly to be a pretty sub-par developer. Their Total War games have been broken at launch for years and their previous journeys into the action genre are best left forgotten.

10. Donaldson

Donaldson Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2000
    The first thing that comes to mind from the images (the second one at least) is Dead Space. If it was even just a knockoff of Dead Space It`d be a step up. After CM my confidence isn`t high.

11. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    First screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It totally has the A L I E N vibe instead of ALIENS.

TX-20 likes this.
  12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Oh wow! The first screenshot has a great Aliens Trilogy vibe going on, and that game is the scariest game I have ever played. It looks great. I'm just hoping the gameplay will live up to the looks.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Please don't be as bad as the 2010 AvP game.

14. Donaldson

Donaldson Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2000
    The shenanigans Gearbox pulled with CM even has me distrust promo images now. Colonial Marines looked amazing in the preview material.

I will cautiously saw however that those shots do have a cool vibe about them.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    From the screenshots it seems a bit like Doom 3. That was a very effective space horror shooter, it's a smart idea to make an Aliens game like that.

16. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

To be fair, what happened with Aliens CM isn't out of the ordinary in the games industry. It highlighted a problem I have had with it for years in fact. Pre-rendered "gameplay" has existed for years now. Just look at the "gameplay" in the Star Wars Kinect reveal...

And "bullshots" are common practice in the industry too. Nearly all screenshots released as publicity material portray games in higher resolutions than they are available in, with higher-res textures than the actual in-game art assets and with anti-aliasing on when no AA is available. They're also often photoshopped to make everything look more aesthetically pleasing.

17. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Xbox Live Marketplace overview:

“Discover the true meaning of fear in Alien: Isolation, a survival horror set in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger. Fifteen years after the events of Alien™, Ellen Ripley’s daughter, Amanda enters a desperate battle for survival, on a mission to unravel the truth behind her mother’s disappearance. As Amanda, you will navigate through an increasingly volatile world as you find yourself confronted on all sides by a panicked, desperate population and an unpredictable, ruthless Alien. Underpowered and underprepared, you must scavenge resources, improvise solutions and use your wits, not just to succeed in your mission, but to simply stay alive.”

[​IMG]

The xenomorph's design is like that from A L I E N :D

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Cool interview with the devs, along with some footage.

Seems like the mechanics of the game (sneaking, relying on quick-thinking, lack of real firepower) is going to be supported by the aesthetic. They mentioned that the first movie sets up that you can't rely on technology, and that's what they're going for - really like that idea.

19. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I was completely unaware they were making a new Alien game. I'll probably end up watching playthroughs when it comes out.

20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So will the Aliens in Alien: Isolation look like that screenshot or like models from a PS2 game?

Seriously though, if you listen to the stuff said in interviews about Colonial Marines and then look at the actual product... it's like they were talking about a different game.

21. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Shame on everyone who preordered that.

This is a different game, though, so I'll wait until it's out and can read some reviews.

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    After Aliens: Colonial Marines and Stronghold 3, which I was interested in, to the point I was tempted to preorder, ended up being bad, I was glad that I never bothered to preorder games in the first place.

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Hope the game will be great

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Trailer is out

spicer likes this.
  25. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009

It may be within the Alien license, but Isolation is being made by a completely different developer to Colonial Marines, with the latter being developed by a third party, namely Gearbox, that Sega allowed to use the license. Don't let Gearbox's failures taint the work of other people.

That said, as I pointed out upthread, Creative Assembly have their share of issues to worry about. Total War has been consistently broken at launch since being overseen by Sega. On top of that, the company's previous ventures outside of the RTS genre veer radically between being "meh" to absolutely atrocious. So while I adore this very "Amnesia" looking approach they're taking to Alien, I'm keeping cautiously optimistic for now.

spicer and 07jonesj like this.