main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT George Lucas' disappointment in OT special effects: warranted or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Eddie, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'd say it works just fine.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    At this point, your side of the argument is splitting hairs. Lucas' babbling about "finishing" his movie lost its meaning in 1997. The majority of his changes now have been based in his childish whims and selfishness. And that last, "point," you made about wanting the OT to match the PT is especially telling as a mature filmmaker would create the PT to match the already made OT. Not desperately try to fit the OT into a box it will never truly fit in.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    How did it lose its meaning? Because he went and actually did it? The changes in the 04 DVD of TESB were synching things together as I said. A couple of things needed slight tweaking in ANH because he acknowledged that he could have done it a bit better. ROTJ was mostly to the PT as well. And how are they childish. I can imagine selfish because he won't release unaltered versions.

So he's immature because of that? That's a pretty odd use of the word. Lucas had to use worlds that were credible to what he wanted and avoid the ones that he couldn't do very well. Or make fit into the story that he was telling. The PT comes back and shows us those worlds. Cloud City being more complete and like Coruscant isn't immature. Nor having Jabba like he had wanted to.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  4. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    As I said in my first post in this thread, if Lucas were a true, mature, "artist," as he wants to be seen as, he would accept what he made in 1977 and leave them be. In my experience, truly creative people don't continually stay in the past, they grow and move on to better things. GL refuses to do this despite insisting that he wants to move on to, "smaller, personal," movies. He goes back to the OT well and only offers up HIS version and tells people who call him out on it to, "grow up." This is the sign of a petty, insecure man.

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Your words only convince me that you simply did not like the changes Lucas made for the Special Edition. To label him with such negative words because he made those changes strike me as rather odd. And it also makes me wonder if you took his changes just a bit too personal.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
  7. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Nope. Just my assessment of the guy judging by his general attitude. You'll find that I'm against "special editions" and directors cuts in general most of the time. It's not just Lucas... But he IS the one who is most guilty of tampering with his works.

There are very few instances where an SE or Director's cut improve the film. Especially these days, they come across like cash grabs or vanity projects. Yet even in those instances... The theatrical cut is made available. Once again, Lucas is the petty exception.

And bravo on your impotent attempt to portray me as unreasonable when all myself and others ask is for the OT to get the same treatment as every other classic film.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because you decided that?

"Childish whims"?! Isn't it childish to call someone childish just because he's doing whatever he wants with what's his to begin with?

Says who? Where did you get such claim to define what a "mature filmmaker" would or wouldn't do?

Because, again, you decided that it will never truly fit in?

You've yet to demonstrate the correlation between maturity and true artistry with not changing his own art.

The irony...

I do see pettiness and insecurity, but it's not from him...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Truth be told, I never really saw this this thread lasting very long before the usual insults started getting thrown around.

Locking.

Darth Eddie and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.