main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    that's supposed to be Important

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Edward III. Not a part of the longstanding canon, but a play that scholars are increasingly agreeing is at least partially the work of Shakespeare, likely suppressed due to its unflattering portrayal of the Scottish and James I's rise to the throne. It's quite good, a history play very much in the vein of Henry V. The overarching plot is Edward's expedition to France to claim the French throne, starting the Hundred Years' War, but the first two acts are dominated by Edward's lust for the Countess of Salisbury, which tempts him to abuse his power as king before he masters himself. It's got some minor thematic links to the rest of the play, but it does sort of stand a bit on its own. It's an interesting angle of drama for the history plays, though, and it contains a really fantastic human moment, when Edward resolves to break off his pursuit because it's the right thing to do -- and then gets word that she's got an answer to his request for an affair and is completely back in infatuation. The second half is dominated by the coming-of-age of Edward, the Black Prince, as he achieves a great victory. Altogether, it creates a pretty compelling royal drama.

And that's it for Shakespeare's plays!

V-2 likes this.
  4. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    up to date on Chew. my next new comic is much earlier in its run. Sheltered. a story about a doomsday prepper compound where the kids decide to massacre their parents as the end draws nigh. im hoping it will be kid nation meets children of the corn, with obviously some lord of the flies for good measure

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nooo! I like your reviews!

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

The Saga Continues! Dan Randolph's fusion engine from The Precipice has opened up the rest of the solar system to human travel making the IAA's next target Jupiter. Space Station Gold, the largest space station in existence, now orbits Jupiter, studying the weird organisms that inhabit its atmosphere. Under a tyrannical director, the scientists of Gold work diligently to map the oceans, searching for more. A search that threatens New Morality's hold on religious faith back on Earth. So when an unauthorized trip is made into Jupiter, New Morality decides to take action.

Enter Jabba-wocky, a scientist who is also a Christian. Having graduated college while avoiding the evils of sex, cursing, and alcohol, all he wants to do is study the life cycles of stars at the Farside Observatory on the Moon. But New Morality has other plans for him, sending him to Gold to spy on the director. And that's where he stumbles across the insane experiments run there and the intrigue and paranoia that encompass working on Gold. But nothing could prepare him or the rest of the Jovian team for what they find in Jupiter proper.....Leviathan.

This was by far the best book since Mars. It had everything perfect. Next up, we go to The Silent War.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You shall have to cherish them in your memory.

But if you really, really want more, you're going to have to call up Shakespeare and ask him to write more plays.

8. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Ever After by Kim Harrison

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    "yo shakesdawg..."

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I am now on The House of Hades for the first time.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I heard you like to write plays, so I wrote a play in your play so you can have Havac review your play while he reviews your play.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I heard you like to write plays, so I wrote a play in your play so you can have Havac review your play while he reviews your play.

13. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    I am reading Angel of the Opera by Sam Sicilano. It's a crossover between Sherlock Holmes and Phantom of the Opera :D

14. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Your avatar... Is that Hordak?

Saintheart likes this.
  15. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    The Princess Bride.It was a lot like the movie,but there was back stories for Inigo,Fezzik,and the Sicilian.However,the author writes like he is abridging for an author(a fictional author named Morgestern),so that maybe confusing and annoying for some.The book is riddled with the author's note which often interrupt the plot.I didn't mind it though and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

lbr789 and Sarge like this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read that when the film first came out. It was pretty good.

LifeInTechnicolor likes this.
  17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Anyone reading "Rain of the Ghosts"?

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Nonfiction - Merchant, Solider, Sage by David Priestland. Not sure on fiction though - I finished my current book earlier and I'll pick something new from the reading pile when I go offline.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    My Psych textbook for the upcoming final.[face_nail_biting]

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

There's an offline?

:p

21. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  22. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I wanted to give Devil's Fire: A Pirate Adventure a try due to encouraging reviews, but alas it's only available on Amazon Kindle

23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read the book before I saw the movie. The one real disappointment I had with the movie is that it left out the Zoo of Death. Without that, Humperdinck was just a buffoon, and Fezzik and Inigo lost a great action bonding adventure.

24. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    You have to read The Princess Bride with your tongue earnestly grinding its way through your cheek wall. With this one, William Goldman was intent on subverting and parodying every fantasy or swashbuckling trope he could lay his hands on. (The authorial inserts are echoed in the film with the kid from The Wonder Years constantly interrupting his grandfather while he reads the story.)

And while the movie has roaring successes -- Billy Crystal as Miracle Max, Mandy Patinkin somehow dodging Hollywood death by not being typecast following his wonderful performance as Inigo -- the book still hits harder because it's unmercifully bittersweet; take as an example the very fact that the narrator's grandfather skipped over large parts of Morgenstern's "classic tale" because they were boring. That's an observation about family life that rings true as the Bells of St. Clements'; I could completely picture my parents doing much the same thing with similar "classic tales" out of the Dark Ages or wherever Enid Blyton manufactured them. Or indeed slow down and pay attention to the travails the narrator himself goes through in his life while acquiring and then "writing" the story. There's a lot more going on in the framing story of The Princess Bride than meets the eye, and most of it got shoved right into insignificance with the movie. Reading the book after seeing the film, as I did, is a very disorienting but enjoyable experience.

Sarge likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Started Vulkan Lives by Nick Kyme last night. It's the latest in the Warhammer 40K Horus Heresy series.