main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Lots of walking and talking!

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Darth Doggerel. The Sith spinner of secondhand verse for an expanded secondary universe. :(

3. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Did anyone hear the news that Star Wars will be taking a piece out of marvels blue print. Meaning that the stand alone movies will match up with the the actual main episodes. So for example iron man and thor, as stand alone movies, then avengers the main movie. Whats your thoughts on it?
    For me happy and not, awesome to see we are getting more Star Wars films but at the same time i was hoping these stand alone movies to have nothing to do with the actually Episodes

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm actually all for this, since SW should be one established continuity.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    If true, I'm quite happy about that.

Disney can be positive, it seems.

6. Dark-Vador1138

Dark-Vador1138 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    to have continuity with the other films, isn't luke supposed to die in episode 7 to reflect movies 1 and 4?

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No. Episode 9 to mirror Episode 6 and Yoda.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    No. Episode 8 to mirror his Tauntaun.

KED12345, Ryus, Mystery_Roach and 2 others like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Episode 8 or 9 works for me.

10. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    what if episode seven launches a new six part story, while wrapping up things from the old story?

Dra--- likes this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I would have said Episode IX to mirror Episode VI and Anakin, that being more of a direct lineage thing. It depends on his role though. If there's a strong Father/Child relationship then that's what I'd go with, but if he's more of a mentor then I'd say Episode VII.

Possible, but it doesn't jibe with what Lucas has said about this being the final trilogy of the saga.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I wouldn't have anything mirror anything.

First get characters, plot and setting right. Then you can worry about the superficial stuff.

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Or Anakin but since Luke should be the Grand Master of the Order I had to go with Yoda. Luke could die in any of the 3 movies but I'm hoping 8 or 9. 7 would be a cop out or waste of his potential imo. Though 7 is very possible since we already have Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan dying in the opening movie of the trilogies

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    "MIrroring" gets real tired real fast. It's a nicer way of saying you're just rehashing the same basic narrative points for 9 or 12 movies straight.
    No need for that.

Jedi Comedian and Darth_Pevra like this.
  15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    And if Luke dies in 7 he will most definitely be back as a ghost in the other two. It means his role won't be huge, but they're supposed to be passing the torch anyway. This is actually what I was hoping for initially, but I've since come to hope more for him to be involved in some personal familial drama with the next generation throughout this trilogy as he was with his father in the last one.

And I like mirroring. Further, it's an essential part of Star Wars for me (and George Lucas). The trick is not to undercut the drama through repetition but enhance it by taking sharp unexpected turns when something has been set up to go another way by the previous stories. This is what happens with first two trilogies and I would expect something similar with this one.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke will die in Episode VII, come back as a zombie only to die again in VIII, and then finally come back in IX as a Force Ghost only to be sucked into Han's proton pack. Therefore, Luke Skywalker will be the first non-horror film character to die in multiple movies.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Mirroring works in cases such as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, Palpatine watching Dooku and Anakin fight and Vader and Luke fight for example and I expect to see more moments of mirroring but a 3rd master dying in the first movie? Sorry but no. The Evil Overlord can watch the apprentice fight the good guys. That one I love.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  18. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    So if the standalone movies are supposedly a Yoda origin movie, a Han Solo origin movie and a Boba Fett movie, what does that all mean then?

19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Mirroring, or what what I call rhyming action, is usually shallow when it's rhyming for the sake of rhyming.

So what Pevra said: character and plot first, then little resonances can be made when especially appropriate.

20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    The way Lucas set these movies up, it's pretty inherent in the structure though.

Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I would assume that, the first batch of Standalones would be, essentially, "flashback/origin" movies, but by the time Ep. 8 rolls around we'd start to see spin-offs coming from the ST era. Out of the gate I would assume the spinoffs would be all OT, all the time.

22. Dark-Vador1138

Dark-Vador1138 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, looking at the 2 trilogies we already have, it seems like they stand on a very specific and consistent set of rules, which involve the same places over and over..For example, Anakin represents Luke. Anakin is waiting around in the Tatooine desert for something to happen just like Luke was in ANH...Padme mirrors Leia by arriving to Tattoine to hide from the "bad guys" who are pursuing her.

Point is, From a mythological standpoint, having a repeat of character type is necessary to show the patterns that evolve to a specific destiny - of triumph or tragedy. You can bet that critics will immediately say - why is Lucas remaking the Trilogy using different characters against the same types?? I think it's already pretty obvious why it has to be this way. Really Lucas is just laying down the basic foundation for a history that will unfold and nearly repeat itself in Epy. 7 thru 9. So in a sense, the Trilogy is the "repeat." Diehard fans understand this

Immortiss and Mystery_Roach like this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Luke surviving Ep. 7 could be a twist on the "Mentor Figure Bites It In the First Trilogy Movie" thematic thing. Sometimes in the PT and the OT, characters are faced with similar situations but at the moment one character goes one way, another goes a different way. Also, if they twist the Mentor Dying bit around, that means more Luke in the ST!

24. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I have not heard this before now. Source?

I'm actually OK with that. I'd prefer that to orgin stories to be honest. Two reasons: asmall part of me still hopes that at least some of the EU will remain intact, and more importantly - I don't really want to see movies about "young han solo" or "princess Leia in Boarding School" or what have you.

I'd love to see a spin-off about (for example) Rogue Squadron between Ep VII and VIII, or Kyle Katarn vs. the Space Pirates, or whatever.

Actually sounds WAY better to me.

Actually I think newdawn12 is more likely right in this case. There's no way Disney is going to pay 4B$ just to do 3 numbered episodes followed by spinoffs. Unless they bomb, we're going to see numbered episodes up to at LEAST XII if not XV or more plus spinoffs. Regardless of what Lucas originally had in mind.

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well the fact is that Lucas spent a year writing the outlines for three movies as the final parts of a single story in his long planned trilogy of trilogies. I really don't think he would have sold the rights without being able to protect the integrity of that particular story. I think he would have been smart enough to simultaneously develop a long term plan for telling other stories in his universe which he doesn't have to be directly involved in the creation of, and if you listen to his interviews from the time of the Disney acquisition announcement that's exactly what it sounds like he's done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.