main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Weapons in SW: Question and discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Aug 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But you make it, you don't improvise it. To me an improvised weapon is something that is not actually a weapon; a spear is a weapon either for hunting or fighting

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah okay.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think the cutting torch used by the battle droid below count as an improvised weapon
    [​IMG]

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any thing resembling a Mare's Leg gun/shortened rifle?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Maybe the EE-3

[​IMG]

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Didn't Boba Fett carry some sort of sawed-off shot-blaster? I'm not a Fett fan and never paid much attention to him, but I think it looked vaguely similar.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is Orielle Kitai the only one we have seen using a miekka blade?
    [​IMG]

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Its a shovel :p

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe this is a stupid question but why did not the jedi in NJO develop some kind of high power lightsabre, a novasabre if you will, that was capable to cut through things like vong armour or beskar?

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Lightsabers are already on the verge of exploding in your hand, giving them even more power is not that good an idea. Also Mandos have one major problem with "Beskar" (which most don't even have in their armour) stap them in the face or just shoot them, and that is that.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    TCW seems to have caused some problems here; Mandos aren't stormtroopers. One quick shot won't take 'em out. Beskar can actually take quite a bit of a beating before the wearer dies. Not to say it is invincible; there are definitely things that can pulverize beskar (think what Wedge does to the Vong footsoldiers in Enemy Lines with his X-Wing, only with Mandos), but it's just stronger than your typical blaster bolt (or even a lightsaber). You can find gaps in Mando armor, however; Mace obviously did with Jango (which the Mandos learned from by creating beskar neck braces). There are portions of the flight suit which are not covered by the armor. The visor isn't made from beskar. Same goes with Vong armor; the armpit, neck, and face were especially vulnerable.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But the jedi have Jaina "Tech-witch-in-YJK" Solo she would have no problems doing something like that
    Also were is it stated that lightsabers are on the verge of exploding in your hands?

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    It will if you hit them in the head, as you said that T-Thing is not armored.

Like you said it not even full Armour, just a flight suit covered with some metal, just stap them in the side, though funny enough neither Boba and Jango even have Beskar, they wear Durasteel, because Beskar was supposed to have been mined out, but per Traviss the Empire was just to lazy to keep digging.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anyone know what this rifle is called
    [​IMG]

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do any body know what gun Droma is shown using?
    [​IMG]

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    The one time the artist doesn't draw a DL-44 and everyone wants to know what it is. :p

Looks like an ion pistol of some sort to me.

17. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    [​IMG]
    This looks to be a Mare's Leg Laser, also, by it's description, the Bryar Blaster Kyle Katarn carries would be one as well.

18. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    The E-11's seem pretty sawed off....

19. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

My copy is currently 140 miles to the south, but I want to say that pistol was listed in the appendix to the New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology.

20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Hmm could be the DH-23 or some variant of it...
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DH-23_blaster_pistol

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't think so it has a different silhouette compared to the DH-23

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anyone know how cortosis weave work? If normal cortosis short circuit the lightsabre why do a cortosis alloy make it possible to parry a lightsabre?

Update: Wookieepedia have updated Mighella's page and her sword is no longer referred to as darksabre

23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004

Because when either someone was writing a story in which someone parries a lightsaber with another weapon (SW Republic?) or KOTOR was being developed, the writer probably invented a new material that could resist lightsabers, and Leland Chee then said "in the continuity holocron cortosis does that!" even though it really doesn't so they changed it to cortosis instead of inventing a new material -- or even using a more appropriate one like phrik.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it was the Darth Bane: Path of Destruction novel that first portrayed cortosis itself as as "one of the hardest substances in the galaxy" as well as "impervious to both heat and energy" and "prized in the construction of armor and shielding"

with cortosis alloy as "highly resistant to blaster bolts" and something that could "supposely withstand even the blade of a lightsaber."

(The resistance to heat of the ore itself, is portrayed as the reason it can't be mined with plasma torches.)

Not exactly consistent with the crumbly (but lightsaber-shorting) ore we see in Vision of the Future, portrayed as "aside from the lighsaber thing, basically useless- a good blaster bolt will shatter it". Even in I, Jedi- they don't wear "cortosis-alloy armor" but "armor with cortosis fibre woven into it".

Gamiel and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Cortosis was first depicted as capable of parrying a lightsaber without deactivating it in SW Republic with the Morgukai and their staves -- unless Jedi Council: Acts of War depicts it similarly, I can't remember.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.