main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Taeriel, Dec 21, 2011.

1. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    MAYBE i have to play by ear...holidays and all...

2. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Our favorite local theater finally put tickets on sale yesterday. I'll be going today to pick them up. Kinda sad... I was looking back through old email archives, and found reference to over 30 people in the group I saw TTT with. Now we're down to 8-10. Sad that things and people move on.

But, yay for Hobbit coming in two days!

3. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    Saw this, and loved it! There were some changes and expansions, some of which might be from the Appendices (I don't know, I haven't read them), but it was still great. I will be seeing it again!

4. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I took my mom to see it yesterday afternoon. She liked it for the most part, but thought it had "a lot of fighting" and less character interaction than FotR. And at the end, she asked "was that one a good dragon, or a bad dragon?". o_O

5. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    The only good dragon in literature is the dark one from How to Train a Dragon, no?

6. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    So after watching The Hobbit, we started watching LOTR extended edition again. Well, I say again because I thought we watched them. But as I see them now there are things that I dont remember so I question if we did watch all 3 movies. :( I forgot how much I really do like these movies, and they were so well done.
    I was surprised to hear that Aragon is like 87 years old, he looks GOOD for being that old! :p

nnaydolem likes this.
  7. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    so what did everyone think?????

8. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

After much consideration and talking about it with others. I've come to the conclusion...It was okay. I didn't think the plot or "new" characters were as likable or engaging as the original LOTR trilogy. The plot seemed to meander a bit and I didn't really like the wizard with the bird poop in his hair. I liked the part where Gollum and Bilbo had the riddle contest.
    I'm kind of interested in what happens next, but I wouldn't be heart-broken if I didn't see the next two.

I definitely recommend seeing the movie in 2-D, non high frame rate. Those things distracted and/or didn't add much to the movie going experience. I hope HFR isn't the wave of the future...

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Agreed. As expected, I'm not a fan of the HFR either.

I think the next two films will be better than this one, simply based on the fact that there are much more interesting events taking place in those two thirds of the book. I can understand how the characters in this film are less engaging, because they aren't that fleshed out in the book either. They spent a lot of time building up Thorin's character, but you really don't get to know any of the other dwarves, so they feel a lot more hollow than the members of the fellowship in LOTR.

The Radagast subplot also felt a little out of place and almost like it was just filling time. The flashback with the necromancer was cool, but the first scene with him running around trying to save a dying hedgehog was just...weird.
    All in all, the Hobbit is more of a kid-themed story anyway, much like the first Harry Potter story. It's not going to be as good as LOTR was, but I'm still looking forward to seeing the next two films.

10. Nagayoshi

Nagayoshi Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2012
    Saw it on IMAX 3D. Loved it.

Going to see it again, this time in HFR, this weekend!

11. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I liked the HFR idea, but now that I've seen it that way once, I think I'll be good just seeing it in tradional 2D for future viewings. I agree the bird poop in the hair guy didn't make a lot of sense - just can't find myself rooting for a guy that makes no effort to remove feces from his own head... also, it seemed like the dwarves were very weak when fighting the trolls. I guess we should have known they were smaller than the trolls in LOTR, but they seem invincible against all dwarf attacks.

12. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I agree, the character development was definitely focused on Bilbo, Thorin and a bit for Gandalf, which left the other dwarfs feeling underdeveloped. I've been told that this is consistent with the book, which didn't really distinguish them that much. So on one hand it makes that part true to the source material, while on the other it makes the movie feel slightly less rich in that one regard.

The other thing I noticed about Hobbit was that the storline seemed a little less ... not sure how to put it. Their situation felt less strategically dramatic, when compared to LotR. The loss of their home and desire to reclaim it is of course a big deal, but can't quite compare to the "evil overlord and his armies are going to wipe out the world" storyline of LotR. Plus, compared to the stakes of either of those, the "reclaim our gold" motivation seemed a bit materialistic.

One aspect that did bother me was the instances of more juvenile humor - things like the troll bodily function jokes. I don't know if that came from the book or was a modern interpretation of jokes that children will relate to, but it felt very out of synch with the Middle Earth setting to me.

But having said all that, I did still enjoy the movie. There were many aspects I did enjoy, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next installments. I just need to find a good premiere venue. The excited crowd is half the fun.

FanForced likes this.
  13. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    It's been 10 years or so since I read the book, but I don't recall any bodily function humor in it. The situation is definitely less dire, and the book itself was much more whimsical cheery than LOTR. It was more like "Ooo! Let's have an adventure! Yay! Oh, crap this got kind of serious -- there's dragons and Gollum.... But we bested them! Yay! Let's have second breakfast!" Whereas LOTR is "OMG, the whole world is in danger, and an age is ending, and if these races can't work together, we're totally SCREWED. Walkwalkwalk. Serioulsy, a Hobbit is going to do this? Are you out of your mind? This will never work. Holy -- what are *those* things? And THOSE things? Runrunrun. Brainwashed leaders? Crap. And WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS? THIS WILL NEVER WORK! Wait. We kind of won, but this still really sucks and stuff's not the same and it's really um, well, let's say goodbye and cry and stuff...."

So, kind of two totally different moods. :/

Taeriel, FanForced and DieWompRatDie like this.
  14. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    Oh, definitely I think that much of the difference in tone between the two comes straight from the difference in tone and story of the novels.

I LOVE your descriptions - fantastic! [face_laugh]

15. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
  16. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Though I won't be able to make it the meeting on Saturday, I am definitely heading to the theater Sunday morning to visit the church of Bilbo. Anyone else excited to see the Desolation of Smaug this weekend?
    [​IMG]

nnaydolem likes this.
  17. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Is this the last one or is there one more after it?

18. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I believe there is a third film scheduled after "The Desolation of SMAH-OOG".

19. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Based on the Appendix? Will it have three endings like the first trilogy? :rolleyes:

20. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

I'll see your Lego Hobbit photo and raise you a Smaug stein photo.

[​IMG]

21. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    So ya'll want to get together to go see DoS next weekend (the 20th-21st)?

22. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I see your "spoiler" steins (who knew that a dragon from a 60 year old book would look like.. a dragon) and raise your a Dori, Ori, and Nori.[​IMG]

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  23. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Alas, we'll be heading back to Texas that weekend, so we're out. Wish we could. Would you be interested in going Sunday the 15th sometime?

24. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    This weekend is totally booked. We could go Monday evening.

25. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    How about a Hobbit themed breakfast (or 2nd breakfast) at the Denny's at I-70 & Peoria around 9:30 on Sunday followed by a matinee showing of DoS at the Harkin's 18 @ Northfield Stapleton. There is an 11:30am showing in a theater with Dolby Atmos (New 3D sound gimmick and cheaper than the High Frame Rate.)