main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Masters of the Universe: Castle Grayskull

Discussion in 'Community' started by Barbecue17, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Any other MOTU fans here? I'm a huge MOTU fan and just got my preordered Masters of the Universe Classics Castle Grayskull in the mail yesterday. I took a ton of pictures of this beast (it's 24 1/2 inches tall) and wrote a FAQ/ Review of it.

While I have since repurchased a vintage Castle Grayskull along with the 200x, in 1996 I sold my original vintage Grayskull and Snake Mountain to buy Star Wars stuff. I love Star Wars, but I wish I had my castle still, y'know? Anyways has anyone else gotten their Castle Grayskull yet? If so, how and where are you displaying it? I've got an old TV stand that I'm using to display mine open in my study/ smaller hobby room with the rest of my MOTUC stuff.

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The opening theme for the TV show is, simply put, the most glorious theme tune in the universe.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  5. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    Wow. Just wow. [face_laugh]

Especially considering Skeletor is He-Man's uncle.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  6. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    I am a huge He-Man fan, You'll have tell us what the castle is like when it comes :)

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

You're welcome.

Juliet316 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I am actually a He-Man fan. The show was originally going to be Conan but it never came to pass, I think it was a rights issue. So they made He-Man instead whcih was cool because it came with its own mythology. There was a similar show called Blackstar which I liked too.

9. Jeff McKissock

Jeff McKissock Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 11, 2012
    The theory I heard is that where afraid to make a toyline based on a rated R movie. So they gave Conan blonde hair and called him He-Man

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    In the 90's there actually was a Conan cartoon. I remember liking it quite a bit even if it did have little to nothing to do with the Schwarzenegger movies.

Side note: I just spelled Schwarzenegger correctly on the first try and am quite proud of myself. :D

Gamiel and Ulicus like this.
  11. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I'm pretty sure the 'He-man was meant to be Conan originally' idea is actually an urban legend. Here's one blog post that goes into it in detail:

http://ultimateconanfan.blogspot.com/2008/10/conanhe-man-myth.html

I loved He-man as a kid, but haven't watched it in years. As I understand it the 1990s series was actually even better than the original. Anyone seen both and can comment?

Gamiel and Tython Awakening like this.
  12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Yeah, the Masters of the Universe cartoon made in the early 2000s was pretty great, with continuing storylines from episode to episode (Skeletor wonders what's just so darn important about Castle Greyskull at first, then when he does he goes after it with his usual zeal), not to mention Orko isn't the grating comic relief he was on the old show (He has his funny moments, sure, but they don't make you hate the character's existence). They also did a smart thing and not have Cringer/Battle Cat talk.

It's a show worth checking out.

Champion of the Force likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I have a much better version of this but can't share on the boards. :(

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I had a couple of friends, they were brothers, that were not allowed to watch He-man because according to their very religious mother the show was blasphemous because God's realm is called Eternia.

15. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    That mother must've seen Deception of a Generation, this Christian video made in the 1980s that shows why He-Man. Transformers, Star Wars, and other kid's shows and toys of the day are "bad" and ungodly, for pretty laughable reasons. Brad Jones (The Cinema Snob) did a pretty good takedown piece on it, and I recommend watching it, because you get that video's "best" stuff with his insightful snark and commentary.

16. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Thanks for that info, I'll have to check it out myself - I wasn't aware Brad had done it. Sounds awesome. :)

17. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    he-man was my favorite toyline back in the day. i was always impressed by he-man's immense talent for finding non-lethal solutions to bad guy problems.

18. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    Yes, everything I've read and everyone I've talked to have pretty much confirmed that Mattel did not simply take a Conan line already in production and then turn it into He-Man. They did apparently turn down the rights to the film Conan the Barbarian due to it being rated R. Since sword and sorcery was really in vogue at the time and Mattel was really looking for a boys toyline to rival Kenner's Star Wars, He-Man came to be.

While it's not the most accurate book, Roger Sweet's Mastering the Universe is an interesting look at the creative process that lead to He-Man. A far better (and different) resource is the Power & Honor Foundations first art/ history book. Very even, thorough, and well researched.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm still gutted the MYP 2002 He-Man got cancelled. Great stuff, was that.

20. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    On my site (in my signature) I've actually reviewed almost every MOTUC figure released this year. I'm currently waiting for my Plundor and Strong-or/ Strong Arm. Filmation isn't my favorite MOTU era (I really like the pre-Filmation/ concept stuff and 200x) but I'm pretty happy that these guys are on my way.

I've also got a Granamyr shipping to me. Since I cleared off some space to display Castle Grayskull, I've got plenty of room for a giant red dragon now. I'll now have everything except for Standar, which I really have no interest in, and the original SDCC King Grayskulls.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Rainbow Knight Star

Rainbow Knight Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 18, 2005
    I am a huge MOTU fan, but 80's only. No 90's or 2002 for me. All I have is a few figures, but I watch episodes on Hulu fequently. My favorite character is Evil-Lyn.

:D

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000

Not just secret powers, but fabulous secret powers, mind you.

Juliet316 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I've been meaning to read it for a long time. I know I read somewhere (Possibly He-Man.org, where I'm a member but haven't posted in quite a while) that there are several mistakes in it, though I don't know if Sweet was intentionally trying to be misleading or if he just didn't do due diligence.

I'm a huge MOTU fan from back in the day. I never got into the MOTU Classics (Too expensive considering my already bloated collecting habits), but I collect actual MOTU vintage figures. So far I have 13, plus Battle Cat. A few more figures and a couple of vehicles (and, of course, the actual vintage Grayskull) and I'll be done with what I want. Mostly just trying to pick up the stuff I had as a kid. I also have 12 figures from the 2002 line and the entire original series on DVD.

24. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    With Sweet's book, I get the idea that a lot of the details for Sweet were just lots to time. There are times when Sweet talks about toy or character specific items and messes up names. I assume that while he remembers certain stories and details he's obviously not obsessing about the property details like fans. The book actually reads a lot like a court deposition, as if Sweet is making some sort of legal case to prove he created He-Man. He certainly has some interesting points, stories, and outlook on the creation of MOTU and Mattel corporate culture at the time.

I don't know but for some reason I just find the history of MOTU to be so interesting. It just always seems so shrouded in mystery. It's such a bizarre, unusual property.

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Jeez I'm glad I didn't have parents like that. I went to church, but never had religion used to suppress anything.
    For my generation I got into Masters of the Universe rather late, Christmas 1985 with Thunder Punch He-Man, I guess because I clung to STAR WARS exclusively for so long and until then didn't live around a bunch of neighborhood kids to really have the knowledge of the cartoon series being on in the afternoons until then, if it was. I remember looking in the Christmas catalog a year or two before that and shunning the He-Man stuff as silly "fantasy". My mother asked "what do you think Star Wars is?"
    Anyway over the next year while watching both Masters of the Universe and She-Ra, in addition to that one He-Man, I amassed a few Evil Horde figures and a couple of sets and vehicles like the Blasterhawk, the Slime Pit, and something else.